Sign in with
Your question

ORDERED! Plz comment & make me feel better (or worse)

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2007 2:13:42 PM

I'm not boastful, but I see many people posting their just-ordered rigs. Since many of you helped me get this first rig together with your great explanations and advice, I'll dedicate this to you. I hope one day I'll have learned enough that I'll be able to help novices out the same way you helped me. Happy New Year.

-Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe E6600 2.4GHz FSB 1066, 4MB cache CPU
-Corsair XMS2 Twin2X with Act. Light 2048 MB DDR II 800 RAM
-eVGA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
-Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM 16MB
-Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200.10 16MB Cache Serial ATA
-LG 18X DVD RW w/ Lightscribe +- Dual Layer
-eVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3, Dual DVI, HDCP
-Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum
-(Onboard Network Card)
-Thermaltake Matrix VX VD3000BNA Aluminum (black)
-Sunbeam Cold Cathode Neon Light (blue)
-700 Watt OCZ GamerXStream PSU
-Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro with thermal paste

Going to add a Combo 7 in 1 Card Reader with Floppy Drive that I got for free from a friend and an SATA DVD burner as my second CD/DVD drive when they come down in price. I have a year-old external usb DVD burner I'm using for my laptop if I need a second drive in the meantime.
January 2, 2007 3:27:06 PM

This setup may look a lot different than what I originally was going to get. I came into some money over the xmas holiday :wink: and decided to get a raptor, better ram, better mobo, and a better cpu. I wanted the Super Talent, memory, but I couldn't get it. Then, I wanted the OCZ but was talked out of it by reading some posts about incompatibility between this mobo and that ram. I just hope I get the older Corsair modules before they changed the IC!
January 2, 2007 3:28:38 PM

Oh and I post my results once I overclock this bad boy :twisted:

Cross your fingers and hope that I don't fry anything, I've never OC'd before.
Related resources
January 4, 2007 3:30:31 PM

Update:

They were out of stock on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. A guy I know recommended I get the Thermaltake Big Typhoon (CL-P0114) Pipe CPU Cooler instead. I wanted to get the Zalman 9700 (CNPS9700LED) CPU Cooler instead. He said they're the same, just that the Big Typhoon is cheaper, so I went with this recommendation. I hope that's true!!

Comments??
January 4, 2007 3:40:06 PM

One more thing, they were sold out of all memory except for the Corsair. Very convenient seeing that it was the most expensive... :evil: 
January 4, 2007 4:27:09 PM

Comments eh?

Well.........

To make you feel better:
Your system is better than most of the population's, including mine. Good job! And who cares about the cooler, both will work fine! :) 

To make you feel worse:
um.....that GTX is overkill unless you have a 24" LCD ;) 
And.......a low-end Voodoo rig will spank yours around the block and back......but I guess it'll cost a helluva lot more too (there, that'll make you feel better too) :D 
January 5, 2007 2:52:51 AM

I decided to spend a little more (but not much) on this thing than the last time we spoke. I got a little more help than I expected this holiday season so I spent a little more than I expected :oops: 

As for the video card, I want to be sure I can run Bioshock and Half-Life 2 Episode Two (that bundled Valve game Portal looks absolutely amazing) at high resolution when they're released. I have a 20.1", but I plan on getting a 24" this summer and selling the old monitor. Going to pick up those Logitech Z-5500 speakers too. I don't own a television, but I make up for it by having around 850 films. Not a whole lot to do in Norway in the Winter :wink:

I need to buy as top-of-the-line as I can now because I only come back to the States every 2 years (+/- 6 months). These are the times that I buy stuff and upgrade because I enjoy avoiding paying VAT and other taxes. Fortunately, my girlfriend's sister lives in the States too, so she'll be able to bring that monitor back for me this summer :twisted: . Believe it when I say that the amount of money saved makes up for the cost of the flight!!!

I wasn't feeling good about this purchase, but I'm starting to.
January 5, 2007 3:36:22 AM

looks damn good to me, beats my current pent. 3 anyday
January 5, 2007 3:51:28 AM

I’m sure you will get by with that… *drooling*. Hey, who the hell cares about computers with Norwegian chicks running around all over the place? Enjoy.
January 5, 2007 3:54:01 AM

Quote:

HEHE

Everything looks good to me. I see nothing wrong in you new built system. You picked wisely.
January 9, 2007 12:55:39 AM

Quote:
Hey, who the hell cares about computers with Norwegian chicks running around all over the place? Enjoy.

That's a good point, but the amount of Norwegian "chicks" running around depends on a number of factors such as whether you live in a city or in Hicksville.

I've lived in Poland and I've been to Russia and Ukraine and those girls are so much better looking. Trust me. Plus, they enjoy cooking, cleaning, and other domestic activities. Norwegian girls don't. My girlfriend is Polish and knows nothing about computers, except to leave me alone when I'm using one :wink:

That probably sounded chauvinistic :twisted:
January 9, 2007 1:00:42 AM

Quote:

Please tell me that you're at least overclocking that rig?!

I came back to the States this xmas to find that my father had thrown out the Pentium 4 1.3 I got at the beginning of 2001. He also threw out the monitor. I was upset.
January 9, 2007 2:16:52 AM

My last girlfriend had some polish in her (Bukowski) and she was cute. Those eastern block women are cute.
January 9, 2007 2:33:56 AM

Quote:
My last girlfriend had some polish in her (Bukowski) and she was cute. Those eastern block women are cute.
So does that mean I'm cute? :lol:  ROFL, I'm not a *chick*. Ok ok, that sound hella gay. Anyone been to Bulgaria?
January 9, 2007 11:44:45 AM

Quote:
Anyone been to Bulgaria?

Have you been there? I came very close to going to Bulgaria. Twice, in fact. The first time I ended up going to Hungary, Croatia and Bosnia instead. The second time, I ended up going to Greece. I've heard that Bulgaria is not only very inexpensive, but the girls there are very friendly and very good-looking. Apparently the beaches are quite nice too. Bulgaria is slowly getting it together and they're set to join the EU this year. That doesn't mean much more than that they'll receive some financial aid to grow because Bulgarians won't be allowed to work in other EU countries for several years.

Anyway, the point is that anyone who hasn't been there should go before they become too developed!
January 9, 2007 12:55:36 PM

I knew a Bulgarian girl........gorgeous.........and could practically snap tree trunks with her thighs........WOW.

8)
January 9, 2007 8:01:44 PM

Quote:
Anyone been to Bulgaria?

Have you been there? I came very close to going to Bulgaria. Twice, in fact. The first time I ended up going to Hungary, Croatia and Bosnia instead. The second time, I ended up going to Greece. I've heard that Bulgaria is not only very inexpensive, but the girls there are very friendly and very good-looking. Apparently the beaches are quite nice too. Bulgaria is slowly getting it together and they're set to join the EU this year. That doesn't mean much more than that they'll receive some financial aid to grow because Bulgarians won't be allowed to work in other EU countries for several years.

Anyway, the point is that anyone who hasn't been there should go before they become too developed!
Last summer i have been to Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia.
Where have you been in Bosnia? I was born in Bosnia, Sarajevo.
January 10, 2007 2:13:35 AM

Quote:

Oh, that's interesting. Well, we drove from Dubrovnik in Croatia through Bosnia to Sarajevo. Then on the way back, we drove through Mostar. These are the two main places that we visited during our time in Bosnia. I really enjoyed it, I thought that people were friendly (well, more friendly than many people I've met), and the things we saw were fascinating. I took many photographs and could talk about it for hours but I need to go to sleep!
January 10, 2007 2:15:23 AM

Quote:
I knew a Bulgarian girl........gorgeous.........and could practically snap tree trunks with her thighs........WOW.

8)

That's the perfect way for me to end an evening and go to sleep, I'll just be thinking about that on my way to bed. Damn.
January 10, 2007 2:31:31 AM

Quote:

Oh, that's interesting. Well, we drove from Dubrovnik in Croatia through Bosnia to Sarajevo. Then on the way back, we drove through Mostar. These are the two main places that we visited during our time in Bosnia. I really enjoyed it, I thought that people were friendly (well, more friendly than many people I've met), and the things we saw were fascinating. I took many photographs and could talk about it for hours but I need to go to sleep!
Thats cool. :D  I cant wait to go back this year. I will be going end of july. I hope you had fun :)  If you ever visit back there again go to Makarska, Croatia or Budva, Montenegro its the best night life. Dance Clubs, alcohol, Beautiful girls. :lol: 
!