Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2007 2:35:29 PM

Hi,

I have recently built the following pc:

MB: Asus P5N32-SLI Premium/WiFi-AP nForce 590 SLI
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo (Conroe), E6600, Socket 775, Boxed
Memory: 2 x 1 GB PQ-DDR2-667U (PC5300)
Video Card: Sparkle SF-PX88GTS640 GeForce 8800 GTS
Case + PSU: Antec Atlas (includes 550 W PSU & 120mm rear case fan)
Hard disk: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10, 250 GB, 7200 rpm, 16 MB, Serial ATA300

When looking in my BIOS, I see the following for my CPU:
CPU fan speed: 0
CPU temperature: 82 C

As far as I know I installed the CPU correctly:
1) inserted the CPU
2) screwed the CPU Heat sink and fan (which came with the CPU) on top of the CPU
3) connected the CPU cable to the CPU_FAN connector on the MB

Note that I can see the CPU fan turning, so it's definately not 0. Also, I don't know if it is relevant for this problem, but I couldn't find a chassis fan cable to connect to the CHA_FAN1 connector on the MB.

Non the less, the cpu temperature doesn't look good to me.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

More about : e6600 reaching

January 2, 2007 3:09:12 PM

Are you sure you pushed all the 4 pins on the HSF into the motherboard correctly?? ALso you did apply some kind of paste to the cpu? and if you did how much coz you might have applied too much
January 2, 2007 3:22:12 PM

Also try speedfan it is much better at getting the temps correct. 0 fan speed.. ummm...

BIOS Update!!
Related resources
January 2, 2007 3:34:35 PM

What yas said.

There have been dozens of similar heat problems reported when using the stock HSF and of a few of the after market HSFs with poor mounting systems. Even experianced builders with dozens of systems under their belts have improperly attached the stock HSF.

It is best to mount the HSF with the mobo out of the case, and support the mobo directly behind the CPU socket when installing the HSF if it uses the 'push pin' style mount. If using the factory HSF, dont mearly listen for the sound of the "clicks", but insure all 4 pins are properly seated. You can oly do that from looking at the rear of the mobo. Also insure that you have removed the protective cover from the thermal grease on the HSF prior to instalation.
January 2, 2007 6:43:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback.
I have reinstalled the stock HSF. There was already some termal paste on the HSF in the package. I really pressed hard on the 4 connectors this time.
Now my CPU temp is considerably lower: around 50 - 56 idle (measured in BIOS, Core Temp & SpeedFan).

Is this about normal for stock HSF? Is it recommendable to get some better CPU cooling if I was to overclock my FSB?

Also, the CPU fan is still reading 0 in the BIOS. Any one know what's up with that? (I had this result with both an older and the latest version of my BIOS)
January 2, 2007 7:33:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
I have reinstalled the stock HSF. There was already some termal paste on the HSF in the package. I really pressed hard on the 4 connectors this time.
Now my CPU temp is considerably lower: around 50 - 56 idle (measured in BIOS, Core Temp & SpeedFan).

Is this about normal for stock HSF? Is it recommendable to get some better CPU cooling if I was to overclock my FSB?

Also, the CPU fan is still reading 0 in the BIOS. Any one know what's up with that? (I had this result with both an older and the latest version of my BIOS)

50-56 is still a little high for idle temps. You can give it a day or 2 for the thermal compound to soften and flow into gaps completely, but I would recommend removing the HSF, removing all the old thermal compound, using isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth, then spreding some fresh compound on. Most people seem to prefer Arctic Silver. I have no prefs.

Make sure you have the fan pluged into the right header. many mobos have multiple CPU/case fan headers. You should be using the 'CPU 1' pins as detailed in the manual
January 2, 2007 7:39:40 PM

The HSF cable is connected to the CPU_FAN connector of my MB, but I keep getting 0 rpm for the CPU fan reading.
January 2, 2007 7:42:10 PM

The HSF cable is connected to the CPU_FAN connector of my MB, but I keep getting 0 rpm for the CPU fan reading.
a b à CPUs
January 2, 2007 8:10:26 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

50-56 is still a little high for idle temps. You can give it a day or 2 for the thermal compound to soften and flow into gaps completely, but I would recommend removing the HSF, removing all the old thermal compound, using isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth, then spreding some fresh compound on. Most people seem to prefer Arctic Silver. I have no prefs.

Make sure you have the fan pluged into the right header. many mobos have multiple CPU/case fan headers. You should be using the 'CPU 1' pins as detailed in the manual

take off the hsf and carefully push all the goop back into the centre and then reseat and see how the results are then, if not then replace the thermal paste.

Mind you i had a P4 2600c that idled at 50 in the bios...
January 2, 2007 8:17:16 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

This is good advice.

A $10 aftermarket fan is a good investment. The $6 thermal paste is clutch.

Order some paste online. The stock HSF for socket 775 was poorly designed. I've had all 4 clicked in and seated, and still had it come loose after being installed.

At any rate, it sounds like a HSF issue. You should invest the $20 into an aftermarket fan with screw-mounts and some silver compound. Arctic silver is popular, but anything with 99% silver content or more should be equally effective. I've used OCZ compounds with good results.

You should always clean the HSF/Processor and reapply thermal compound if you remove the HSF after the processor's run hot. The thermal compound that comes with the stock HSF is garbage, and definately only good for one application.

Also; I've had problems with motherboards setting the voltage of the C2D too high for "auto-overclocking" motherboards. Make sure any overclocking (sometimes called turbo) settings are disabled, and your voltages and clocks are set stock. Also make sure you have the most recent BIOS.

Speedfan is a good suggestion as well, but it's only going to give you the same results as your BIOS are reporting. It's just nice because you can use it within windows.

Good luck.
January 2, 2007 8:20:21 PM

lol. One more thing.

Thermal paste is NOT glue.

I can't tell you how many people I have to tell this :) 

"But what if I want to change my processor? Won't that be a problem if I glue my HSF on with thermal paste?"

Ah goooood stuff.
January 3, 2007 1:56:12 AM

Ok, my assumptiom is that my thermal comound that came with the stock HSF is now unusable since I detached the HSF. There is no additional thermal compound available in the box.

I'm considering buying the Artic Freezer 7 Pro. Just one question: is it recommendable to just stick with the thermal compound that comes with the Freezer 7 Pro (ARCTIC MX-1 thermal compound)?
January 3, 2007 2:14:44 AM

Buy an aftermarket heatsink and some new thermal paste. Artic Freezer 7 sounds good.

and please!

UPDATE YOUR BIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 3, 2007 2:57:22 AM

Quote:
Ok, my assumptiom is that my thermal comound that came with the stock HSF is now unusable since I detached the HSF. There is no additional thermal compound available in the box.

I'm considering buying the Artic Freezer 7 Pro. Just one question: is it recommendable to just stick with the thermal compound that comes with the Freezer 7 Pro (ARCTIC MX-1 thermal compound)?

Not unusable, but potenially contaminated with FOD (Foriegn Object Damage) such as dust, grit, whatever. Its always better (i.e. safer) to apply fresh thermal compound than to try to recycle the old stuff.

As to why your still not getting a RPM reading, you said you had your bios updated, and you had the connector on the proper header. Is the header 3 or 4 pin? If you are using the stock cooler, the conectr will be 4 pin, so you have to make sure the pins are alligned correctly.
January 3, 2007 4:00:48 AM

Quote:
UPDATE YOUR BIOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
He did
Quote:
I had this result with both an older and the latest version of my BIOS
January 3, 2007 4:05:21 AM

Hope this helps.
For Core2 Duo you HAVE to do a BIOS update...

Second I had a P5N32SLI with a PD 3.0GHz and could not use it for the Core2 Duo (some revisions do though if you have the 590 chipset) so I traded it for a EVGA unit as it has the 680 chipset - as some boards could not suport the voltage required for Core2Duo - this is what you may be experiencing. Please go to asus.com web site and check it out first.

BIOS UPDATE... BIOS UPDATE... BIOS UPDATE... BIOS UPDATE

As to not detecting the Fan and it's spinning, you may have a broken pin, or a pin that's not in the connector correctly.

cheers 8)
January 3, 2007 4:12:38 AM

Did you miss my post there Jimbo? Just like 5 minutes before yours...

HE ALREADY UPDATED HIS BIOS!!!!!!!!!

Do the people that are trying to help not read everything he posts to better understand? He already said what I quoted in the 5th post of the page... :roll:
January 3, 2007 6:33:15 AM

Yeah get the arctic freezer 7 pro, its a good and cheap HSF. Also do us a favour and get yourself some arctic silver 5 just to be safe.
!