Microsoft network went bad

previously wonderful network including 3 computers a multi-fax/scan/print
machine, and a laser printer is now a group of islands. All players can be
viewed, but suddenly, passwords are required between the computers and no one
understands why. The OS are XP and Win2000. Where are these passwords set,
and how can they be disabled. More importantly, why did they show up
seemingly of their own accord?

Sandra Lee

Sorry all! Wrong thread, I'll just move this over to networking.
/Sandra Lee

"Sandra Lee" <SandraLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> previously wonderful network including 3 computers a multi-fax/scan/print
> machine, and a laser printer is now a group of islands. All players can be
> viewed, but suddenly, passwords are required between the computers and no
> one
> understands why. The OS are XP and Win2000. Where are these passwords set,
> and how can they be disabled. More importantly, why did they show up
> seemingly of their own accord?
>
> Sandra Lee

When was the last time each system was rebooted?
How about your router?

Try turning *everything* (including any routers, hubs, switches, cable
modemss, printers, etc.) off and leaving them off for at least 30 seconds.
Then first turn on the cable modem (wait until it fully initializes), then
the router (wait until it fully initializes), then everything else.
This may seem odd, but I have seen this solve MANY problems!

Agreed!

Whenever someone calls me to say that their computer is just acting funny,
and I can't quickly place a finger on the problem, I have them do a shutdown
and a restart. It's amazing how many flaky conditions this will solve. It
seems that things get locked in RAM that a restart alone will not clear. A
shutdown/power off WILL clear the RAM - totally.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message

> "Sandra Lee" <SandraLee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> previously wonderful network including 3 computers a multi-fax/scan/print
>> machine, and a laser printer is now a group of islands. All players can
>> be
>> viewed, but suddenly, passwords are required between the computers and no
>> one
>> understands why. The OS are XP and Win2000. Where are these passwords
>> set,
>> and how can they be disabled. More importantly, why did they show up
>> seemingly of their own accord?
>>
>> Sandra Lee
>

> When was the last time each system was rebooted?
> How about your router?
>
> Try turning *everything* (including any routers, hubs, switches, cable
> modemss, printers, etc.) off and leaving them off for at least 30 seconds.
> Then first turn on the cable modem (wait until it fully initializes), then
> the router (wait until it fully initializes), then everything else.
> This may seem odd, but I have seen this solve MANY problems!

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Richard,

I like your message below your signature. I have one in my office that
says, "The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know. Eventually,
I will learn so much that I will know nothing."

It takes a humble person to understand this! PEACE!!!

George