canceling scheduled checkdisk operation?

I have a mountable drive that is in need of Defrag. At one point in the
past, I tried to run checkdisk, and accepted the prompt to run at next
reboot.
The problem-
This drive is not available until after the boot process is completed, so
the pending checkdisk function never runs.
I cannot defrag, because it detects the pending checkdisk, and refuses to
proceed.

Where can I go to delete this pending checkdisk?

Open regedt32 and browse to the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control\Session Manager

You will see a multi-string value BootExecute. If nothing is scheduled, this will read one line: "autocheck autochk *". Delete
other, following lines for anything you don't want done at bootup

(This is a MULTI_SZ value, so on Windows 2000 you must be using regedt32 and not regedit to properly modify the value.)

Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

"alienz" <xalienzenx@xearthxlinkx.net> wrote in message news:ESLue.8522$NX4.2441@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
>I have a mountable drive that is in need of Defrag. At one point in the
> past, I tried to run checkdisk, and accepted the prompt to run at next
> reboot.
> The problem-
> This drive is not available until after the boot process is completed, so
> the pending checkdisk function never runs.
> I cannot defrag, because it detects the pending checkdisk, and refuses to
> proceed.
>
> Where can I go to delete this pending checkdisk?

Okay,
following that path, I get, in the right window:
BootExecute:REG_MULTI_SZ:...
and then several line items-
CriticalSectionTimeout:
EnableMCA:
EnableMCE:
ExcludeFromKnownDlls:
and several others, all with following statements of either REG_DWORD: or
REG_MULTI_SZ: and a value, 0, 0x2, 0x278d00 etc....
What am I supposed to delete?
I just tried to defrag the drive in question, and again received the prompt
that checkdisk is scheduled to run on boot..

Where do I go from here?

Thanks very much for the responses, hopefully I will get this worked out.

"Steve Duff [MVP]" <ergodic@ergodic-systems.com> wrote in message
> Open regedt32 and browse to the key:
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control\Session Manager
>
> You will see a multi-string value BootExecute. If nothing is scheduled,
this will read one line: "autocheck autochk *". Delete
> other, following lines for anything you don't want done at bootup
>
> (This is a MULTI_SZ value, so on Windows 2000 you must be using regedt32
and not regedit to properly modify the value.)

> Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
> Ergodic Systems, Inc.
>
> "alienz" <xalienzenx@xearthxlinkx.net> wrote in message
> >I have a mountable drive that is in need of Defrag. At one point in the
> > past, I tried to run checkdisk, and accepted the prompt to run at next
> > reboot.
> > The problem-
> > This drive is not available until after the boot process is completed,
so
> > the pending checkdisk function never runs.
> > I cannot defrag, because it detects the pending checkdisk, and refuses
> > proceed.
> >
> > Where can I go to delete this pending checkdisk?

In the right-hand pane double-click on 'BootExecute' and follow Steve's
advice.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q160963
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q218461/
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windowsnt/4/workstation/reskit/en-us/booting.mspx