Hi Guys,

I had got a new pc around 6 months ago. Its spects are -

INTEL Pentium D (Dual Core) 930 ..3 GHZ
Intel 945GNT chipset

1 GB RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7600 GT
Creative Audigy 2 sound card
TV Tuner card

Its an assembled pc and is working fine. There has been one issue though. My system runs hot. I know its dual core but its idle temperature is around 60 C. When I found that I had reapplied thermal compound (couple of months ago) when i thought the original one must have got a bit rusty when i was installing the stock cooler (fan).

So for last six months I have been using it and its worked allright. Recently I read that running the system at that temperature will not give optimum results and can damage the cpu. So far i have had no problem with games but when I tried playing game FEAR my system was struggling to run it in full graphics.

What I want to know is that should I let my system be what it is or should i buy new heatsink or so. I did research and i found that Zalman CPU cooling fans are popular and arctic silver compound is preferred but being in my city I dont think it would be easy to find those. Is my pc running slow?

Oh ya, one more thing, I also installed 3 fans on my cpu cabinet so that hot air is blown out. Two fans act as exhaust and blow air out and are on left side of cabinet. One fan on the back blow air out and is on the rear. There is no space in the front to install a fan that could blow air in.

When I tested by opening my cabinet and running my system, the Idle Temp was around: 53-55 C.

My graphic card also gives temp reading. Its idle temp is usually around 58 C. When playing it can rise upto 65 C or maybe more. The temp in my city can go upto 46 C in summers and around 8 C in winters. Its winter here and still the temp on my cpu hasnt changed much (maybe a little).

Any advices as to what do i do will be appreciated.

Thanks,
JG
January 3, 2007 2:54:35 PM

What you mean netburst chip?? Whats an x1950pro ??

Is dual core running at 54 C at idle normal .
January 3, 2007 3:02:55 PM

Quote:
What you mean netburst chip?? Whats an x1950pro ??

Is dual core running at 54 C at idle normal .

"Netburst" is essentially an Intel CPU architecture (more like strategy) that is now very outdated. AMD was running it into the ground for a long time after its K8s were released, and now Intel is running both into the ground with their Core architecture. Newer Intel processors (the Core 2 Duo line) give drastically greater performance than the old Netburst chips and do it by giving off significantly less heat and using less energy. Even a low-end Core 2 Duo demolishes the vast majority of old Netburst CPUs in nearly every benchmark, the exception being the highest clocked Extreme Edition Pentium Ds, which are extremely uneconomical.

The X1950 pro (and all it's X1950 relatives) are ATI (now AMD) video cards that provide better performance than their Nvidia counterparts in the DX9 generation. Nvidia currently has the highest performing video cards in the 8800 series.
Related resources
January 3, 2007 3:54:13 PM

54 Idle at stock speed for a D930 is a tad high. Even on the stock heatsink. It should be in the mid/high 40s. Nothing dangerous though.
These chips can take fairly high temps.

If you want to try to lower your temps :
Most likely you didnt seat the heatsink properly. Try re-seating it, but make sure you can obtain some thermal paste first since you'll need to replace whatever thermal material you have on the CPU now (clean it thoroughly). The heatsink must have complete contact with all of the CPU's heatspreader, and a fair amount of pressure to ensure proper heat transfer.

As for not being able to run FEAR at max settings, your CPU is not at fault, the 7600GT can't handle maxed out settings for this game at anything higher than 1024. Speaking from experience.
Also be sure to turn off soft shadows, the visual effect isn't that great but you take a huge performance hit.
January 3, 2007 7:20:19 PM

You guys are nuts. 60C load is not bad for that power monger.

Original poster: that temp is well within thermal limits.
January 4, 2007 2:43:59 PM

Thanks a lot guys for replies. As far as heatsink is concerned , it is seated properly and i dont think i need to fidle around with it.

So either i let my system be as it is. I mean i take into account that 53 C is okay for dual core. (Do you think my system would underperform?) or if you say i look for a newer & better heat sink to lower temp more.

Regarding fear i think my video card 7600 GT cant handle top notch graphics of that game.
January 4, 2007 3:17:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks a lot guys for replies. As far as heatsink is concerned , it is seated properly and i dont think i need to fidle around with it.

So either i let my system be as it is. I mean i take into account that 53 C is okay for dual core. (Do you think my system would underperform?) or if you say i look for a newer & better heat sink to lower temp more.

Regarding fear i think my video card 7600 GT cant handle top notch graphics of that game.

Your temps really aren't that bad, but if they bug you an aftermarket HSF might set your mind more at ease. If you want better performance, getting a new graphics card would help significantly. You could also overclock your processor / graphics card, but that would increase heat further and almost demand an aftermarket HSF.
January 5, 2007 2:41:25 PM

well i cant buy a new graphics card or so right now .. i already spend a fortune buying the one i have six months ago. i will either continue like this or get a new hsf. lets see... thx

in zalman's site hsf cnps9500 AT indicates its can go with my motherboard intel 945 gnt but it says 4.0 mm required. what does that mean ??
!