Sign in with
Your question

Windows Raid5 the same on all versions of windows?

Last response: in Storage
January 2, 2007 3:48:40 PM

I tried to move my "Windows raid5" from one system to another...
it it came up as unkonw disk type. (dynamic) and asking if i wanted to revert back to basic.

the 4 HD raid5 was created on windows 2003 and I tried to get it to work on XP with no luck.
are the raid formats compatible?
anybody know?
January 2, 2007 7:47:58 PM

would be a good idea to go into the firmware and destroy the array then rebuild the raid5 and initialize.

if you are going from 2003 to XP then you really need to delete the partition and reformat the drive. this will fix your issue and keep any data from the previous installation from interfering with your XP install.
January 2, 2007 8:07:50 PM

well there is no firmware because it is just a bunch of hardrives...
it is windows raid5, not hardware...

deleting the raid is fine and all.. but i just don't have anywhere to put all the data.
i was hoping that the raid engines in 2003 server would be teh same as in winXP.
Related resources
January 2, 2007 8:18:58 PM

From Microsoft's Web Site:

"RAID-5 volumes are not available on Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional and cannot be mirrored or extended. You can, however, use a computer running Windows XP Professional to create RAID-5 volumes on remote computers running Windows 2000 Server, Windows 2000 Advanced Server, Windows 2000 Datacenter Server."

If you move to XP, you will lose your raid5 without hacking (if possible).
January 2, 2007 9:16:31 PM

thankyou for that info.
it answers that question...
i wonder if Vista will suport raid5
January 2, 2007 10:00:50 PM

It wouldn't matter if the RAID engines were the same or not. Windows would have used a unique key when it created the Array. Just like the SID's of Users. Sorry, but there is no way to do what I think you were wanting to do.
January 2, 2007 10:35:46 PM

thanks..
i was planning to tear down the windows raid volume but don't have the space for it yet...
but will in a couple weeks...
January 3, 2007 12:30:59 AM

Quote:
It wouldn't matter if the RAID engines were the same or not. Windows would have used a unique key when it created the Array. Just like the SID's of Users. Sorry, but there is no way to do what I think you were wanting to do.

I got thinking about this...
i have reinstalled my server since creating the raid and the windows raid5 drive, as for the unique key it doesnt seem to factor into this problem..
it just boils down to OS support...
I figure if i take my HD array to another machine running server2k/2k3

installing the 2k3 on my machine would be ok... but games blows on that OS

then there is vitalization... run 2 os's simultaneously
but i think that would be whole new thread...
January 3, 2007 2:59:36 PM

Is it on the same machine with all the same components? Windows will use stuff like the mac address, proc serial numbers and stuff like that when it's generating its keys. Similar to the damn annoying Windows Activation crap. If the hardware is exactly the same then the key would be too. I have not tried it with the windows xp software raid so I really couldn't say 100% for sure.
January 3, 2007 3:11:25 PM

Quote:
From Microsoft's Web Site:

"RAID-5 volumes are not available on Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional...

there is no XP software raid.

well my solution is i ordered raid controller card as well as some harddrives.. should get them tonight.
and i will never use windows software raid again...
January 3, 2007 3:19:24 PM

good deal

what card did you pick up?
January 3, 2007 3:54:11 PM

Ok so it's just RAID 0 & 1. I stand corrected.
January 3, 2007 6:17:29 PM

I got Highpoint Rocketraid 2320 8 Channel SATA2 RAID PCI-E4 Controller
as well as 4 500 gig Hardrives

I already have 4 320 hd's as well all SATA2

and my windows raid 5 of my 4 200 gig drives will get the boot.

(edit to fix spelling)
January 3, 2007 6:35:52 PM

One question. What the F do you need with 3.28 TB of data storage??
January 3, 2007 7:06:34 PM

Quote:
Highpoint Rocketraid 2320 8 Channel SATA2 RAID PCI-E4 Controller

Looks like a nice card. Havent checked it out but if its firmware then it will still draw a little from the CPU, but should be less than the software raid setup.

If its completely hardware then you should gain some system performance back as it wont depend so heavily on the system CPU for parity calculation.

Either way it solves your 2003 to XP raid5 issue.
January 3, 2007 9:52:25 PM

i already have a HIGHPOINT ROCKETRAID 1810A 4 CHANNEL SATA RAID PCI-X ADAPTER card in my server... using it for the 4 x320gig drives... works well...

unfortuatly i can not take full advantage of the speed because it is plugged into a PCI slot, don't have any PCI-X slots on my board...
January 3, 2007 10:16:34 PM

indeed that PCI bus will limit you to around 133mb/s

although that board does have PCI-E 1x which will get you 250mb/s. could be worth while to check out some pci-e 1x raid cards.

The RocketRAID 2300 does raid 5 and works in PCI-E 1x slots.
January 4, 2007 9:13:52 PM

i went with the card i did because i have 8 hardrives to hook up...
if they had a 8 port raid for PCIE1 i'd take it
PCI-X is out becuase it won't fit on my new board.
January 4, 2007 11:16:43 PM

option 1. PCI-X cards can be backward compatible.

option 2, two PCI-E 1x cards that allow expansion and tie the two together.
January 5, 2007 2:44:46 PM

Windows XP does not come with RAID 5, but there is a simple patch that will enable it. Its in the Toms hardware article (link below)

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/19/using_windowsxp_...

I don't see why you couldn't move a Raid5 software array to another PC with 2003 or XP (with the patch).

I was able to move Raid1 (Mirror) arrays this way, but never tried RAID5
January 5, 2007 3:05:12 PM

thanks for the link...
good read...
well i now have the 8 channel raid contoller so problem is fixed... but i will remeber the hack :) 
January 5, 2007 8:17:31 PM

Seems like money isn't too big of a problem for you...may I suggest a simple NAS / iSCSI solution? :) 

I know Vista comes with an iSCSI initiator built into the OS.
January 5, 2007 8:38:32 PM

I looked into NAS but only briefly...
it is to lacking for my needs...
also to slow for video editting.
I like having the drives local to me.

also it isn't that money isn't to big of a problem...
I like best bang for buck...
putting a bunch of harddrives in a computer with a raid card is for me the easiest solution...
!