Need to delete non existing folders

I need to xcopy a whole partition to another disk. Trouble is that McAfee has
placed folders on the partition named McAfee and also McAfee Virus Scan
Professional. Both of these folders are empty. They are on show in the explorer
but when I need to delete them the program reports that they are not there.
I have tried to right click /Properties but they are not protected in any way.
I have also gone to safe mode but they still will not delete.
In command mode they also will not delete and give the message that the program
cannot find the files to delete. Refresh does not take them off view either.
What you might call ghost folders

When clicked on they promptly display an empty space but the address bar shows
Program Files\McAfee. How can I delete folders that are claimed not to be there.

The trouble is that the xcopy stops with an error message saying that it cannot
create the folders on the destination disk.

The error message is Cannot delete, (or Rename), cannot Read from the source
file or disk.

Borge

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:vksnb11jn05c7t80c6cofehft503pbmj5p@4ax.com,
nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> had this to say:

> I need to xcopy a whole partition to another disk. Trouble is that
> McAfee has placed folders on the partition named McAfee and also
> McAfee Virus Scan Professional. Both of these folders are empty. They
> are on show in the explorer but when I need to delete them the
> program reports that they are not there.
> I have tried to right click /Properties but they are not protected in
> any way. I have also gone to safe mode but they still will not delete.
> In command mode they also will not delete and give the message that
> the program cannot find the files to delete. Refresh does not take
> them off view either. What you might call ghost folders
>
> When clicked on they promptly display an empty space but the address
> bar shows Program Files\McAfee. How can I delete folders that are
> claimed not to be there.
>
> The trouble is that the xcopy stops with an error message saying that
> it cannot create the folders on the destination disk.
>
> The error message is Cannot delete, (or Rename), cannot Read from the
> source file or disk.
>
> Borge

Try it in DOS... If you're using NTFS see this:

NTFS4DOS:
http://www.datapol-technologies.com/dpe/recovery/ntfs/index.html

Galen

Sherlock Holmes

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 09:42:12 -0400, "Galen" <galennews@gmail.com> wrote:

>In news:vksnb11jn05c7t80c6cofehft503pbmj5p@4ax.com,
>nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> had this to say:

>> I need to xcopy a whole partition to another disk. Trouble is that
>> McAfee has placed folders on the partition named McAfee and also
>> McAfee Virus Scan Professional. Both of these folders are empty. They
>> are on show in the explorer but when I need to delete them the
>> program reports that they are not there.
>> I have tried to right click /Properties but they are not protected in
>> any way. I have also gone to safe mode but they still will not delete.
>> In command mode they also will not delete and give the message that
>> the program cannot find the files to delete. Refresh does not take
>> them off view either. What you might call ghost folders
>>
>> When clicked on they promptly display an empty space but the address
>> bar shows Program Files\McAfee. How can I delete folders that are
>> claimed not to be there.
>>
>> The trouble is that the xcopy stops with an error message saying that
>> it cannot create the folders on the destination disk.
>>
>> The error message is Cannot delete, (or Rename), cannot Read from the
>> source file or disk.
>>
>> Borge
>

>Try it in DOS... If you're using NTFS see this:

AS a computer user and programmer from way back to '82, this was my first try -
no it does not work either. Dos says it cannot see the folder.

The desperate thing is that windows also say something similar, yet I can click
on McAfee and the Explorer goes to an empty folder. The address in the bar does
indicate that I am at D:\Program Files\McAfee - so there must be a folder there
except it is not seen by delete,rename and xcopy.
I shall try to xcopy again and give the order to ignore empty folders, that
might just make it work. The /C continue if errors /H for hidden might also be
of use/

Borge

>NTFS4DOS:
>http://www.datapol-technologies.com/dpe/recovery/ntfs/index.html
>
>Galen

>AS a computer user and programmer from way back to '82, this was my first try -
>no it does not work either. Dos says it cannot see the folder.
>
>The desperate thing is that windows also say something similar, yet I can click
>on McAfee and the Explorer goes to an empty folder. The address in the bar does
>indicate that I am at D:\Program Files\McAfee - so there must be a folder there
>except it is not seen by delete,rename and xcopy.
>I shall try to xcopy again and give the order to ignore empty folders, that
>might just make it work. The /C continue if errors /H for hidden might also be
>of use/
>
>Borge
>>
>>NTFS4DOS:
>>http://www.datapol-technologies.com/dpe/recovery/ntfs/index.html
>>
>>Galen

OK I got round the trouble by xcopy /S /C /V
I now have the copy and no McAfee folders.

Borge

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:19spb1tsks3ff4kb9aui3c2ar727h4vnvr@4ax.com,
nesredep egrob <Long. -31,48.21 Lat. 115,47.40> had this to say:

> OK I got round the trouble by xcopy /S /C /V
> I now have the copy and no McAfee folders.
>
> Borge

It kind of makes me curious as to why this happened in the first place. I
can't think of a time when I've not been able to delete a file through DOS
though I've had to change the attributes of the folder before in order to
see it. Hmm... Makes me wonder.

Galen

Sherlock Holmes