file rename/delete

This is simple but for the life of me cannot figure out why when I try to
rename or delete certain files on my pc, it gives me the error message "There
has been a sharing violation. The source or destination file may be in use."

There are no shared setting on any files or folders on my system, no files
are in use, I can find no way to remove them, my system is free from all
bugs. Anyone have any ideas?
3 answers Last reply
More about file rename delete

    "=?Utf-8?B?QXJiaXRlcg==?=" <Arbiter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > This is simple but for the life of me cannot figure out why when I try
    > to rename or delete certain files on my pc,

    Probably because these are files used by the system or applications that
    are loaded.

    No actually they're various files and folder that I've created on the second
    drive d: no less. If it was as simple as system folders and files I wouldn't
    have posted to begin with.

    "Dodo2u" wrote:
    Probably because these are files used by the system or applications that
    are loaded.

    You could download Process Explorer from www.sysinternals.com and use its
    search facility with the name of one of the files in question. That will
    show you which process has a handle on the file.

    Andrew

Microsoft Error Message Windows