Sign in with
Your question

Newegg "open box"?

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2007 5:31:03 PM

I'm considering ordering an "open box" motherboard from New Egg. Their disclaimer says that it'll come with no supporting hardware, software. Does anyone else have any experience doing this? I can do without any of the things it comes with, except the back plate. Any advice?

More about : newegg open box

January 3, 2007 12:34:51 AM

You could get everything or nothing. If you absolutely need the backplate then I wouldn't go for it.
January 3, 2007 1:11:51 PM

I wouldnt do it, besides probably only saving like 20 bucks. Mobo is not somthing you want to skimp on.
Related resources
January 3, 2007 1:41:55 PM

Quote:
I wouldnt do it, besides probably only saving like 20 bucks. Mobo is not somthing you want to skimp on.

Ditto. I bought an open box motherboard. The thing crashed constantly with ANY graphics adapter other than the onboard graphics.

Lesson learned. I would not do it again.

p.s. It also tought me about TUL product support. It is non-existent. They publish no telephone number, and they will not answer email. There are some companies... like Diamond MM and Tul/Powercolor and Syntax/Brillian... that (once burned) I would never do business with again.
January 3, 2007 1:52:39 PM

Hi, 8O

Don't do it! Think about this: perhaps more than 70% of Newegg's customers are experienced builders, and when an experienced builder returns a part - specially a motherboard - it doesn't say much about the future prospects for that part!

Another consideration:

Many motherboard manufacturers have next-to-none quality control on their production lines. They find it much more cost-efficient to replace a defective board, than to engage in meaningful QC at the production level. Matter of fact, they use their installed customer base as testing guinea pigs...but then, so does Microsoft with each new OS release!

I wouldn't touch an "open box" from Newegg with a 10 ft pole!
January 3, 2007 2:02:40 PM

I"m going to disagree with the people who say dont touch it. With neweggs REcirtified and open box items it runs the gambit though. I got a gigabyte geforce 5950 open box and it came with everything including the games. but I also got a MSI motherboard that came with nothing, and I needed a backplate and one of the components (back panel USB card I think ) and they sent them to me free of charge no questions asked just told them it wasnt in the box when I got it. also they carry the same warrantee if you read the fine print so if it doesnt work then send it back, and some of the discounts are more than 20 bucks as one poster said. just gotta keep checking if you want a good deal, or if you want full peace of mind save up and buy it brand new
January 3, 2007 2:45:06 PM

Quote:
Hi, 8O

Don't do it! Think about this: perhaps more than 70% of Newegg's customers are experienced builders, and when an experienced builder returns a part - specially a motherboard - it doesn't say much about the future prospects for that part!

Another consideration:

Many motherboard manufacturers have next-to-none quality control on their production lines. They find it much more cost-efficient to replace a defective board, than to engage in meaningful QC at the production level. Matter of fact, they use their installed customer base as testing guinea pigs...but then, so does Microsoft with each new OS release!

I wouldn't touch an "open box" from Newegg with a 10 ft pole!

But a lot of enthusiasts return items that are working because there's a new premium part released a few days after they bought their stuff.
January 3, 2007 3:08:45 PM

I think that most of those are returns. I have returned a monitor to Newegg and saw them selling it for $100 off what I bought it for after I shipped it back to them. It had all of the original stuff with it, but I took it out of the box and hated it. So, if you luck out and get something like that you're in good shape.

With a mobo, I wouldn't trust it. How much savings are we talking here? For me it's worth paying an extra $20 or so just to make sure no moron has f-ed up the mobo. Know what I mean?
January 3, 2007 3:18:12 PM

Same as everyone else here. I've order open box and sometime have gotten everything, but many times I only gotten the part itself. I figured unless it a critical part (i.e. proprietary cable or software) then I have no problem with open box. As for a backplate, those are not really necessary. IMO, they are more for looks than function. So, if its a killer mobo save your self the money. Normally, you'll have 14 days to return the item. This is more than enough time to receive the item, toy around with it, and determine if its actually damaged or not.

Honestly, I don't feel like Newegg's customer base is experienced. Reading the reviews and having bought the items, almost 100% of the bad reviews are based on people desires for product functionality and not its actual intented use. Once they find out it doesn't do what they thought it would do they return it. Plus, you have the know-it-alls, that think they can install something without readind directions and when the install goes bad they blame the item as being faulty. I believe this is what Newegg is reselling as open box. This is why I find open box items to be a good deal. If you aleady have a mobo you can reuse most IDE, SATA and power cables.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
January 3, 2007 3:41:01 PM

My experience with newegg's open box items have been very positive. Just be sure to test the hell out of it before the 14-day return window passes.

About the backplate, if the motherboard doesn't come with it, either buy a new case (most cases come with a generic I/O shield) or get a new one off of eBay. I've seen some eBay stores that specialize in backplates and can find one for you that will work. Of course, this all adds to the total price for your refurb mobo so it may not be worth it and may equal the price for a new retail mobo in the end.
January 3, 2007 6:53:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I'm going to give it a try.

The specifics for me were that the Asus P5B Deluxe I was looking at was 179, while they had an open box Asus P5B Deluxe w/ Wi-fi for 139. So, save $40 to get the same board, but with an added feature. I guess the worst that can happen is that I RMA it.

Thanks again for all the advice, to everyone.
November 28, 2010 7:20:40 AM

Hey how did this go? I hate to dig this out of the threads. All i did was google surch newegg open box mobo. How did it go? I want to order the asus rampage III gene open box because it will save me 60$ which is significant. Would you go for it or no?
!