System Repair leaves machine with problems! Please help!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi,

I received the message: "Windows XP could not start because the following
file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM "

I followed the steps here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm

Now I can boot, but I can't install anything (says something about windows
installer needs updated, Norton products won't liveupdate, and several
services can't start (like PCAnywhere)). I've tried to download the latest
Windows Installer, but they don't have anything that you can download.

Also when I went under System Information, it couldn't display anything -
said something about unable to access network information (sorry....exact
error message not available - doing this from memory on another computer).

Does anyone have any recommendations short of formatting and reinstalling?

Thanks!

-- Kent Iler
kent@iler.NOSPAM.com
Please CC: all replies via e-mail
Remove .NOSPAM from e-mail address
3 answers Last reply
More about system repair leaves machine problems help
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Hi Kent,

    Go to Start/Admin Tools/Services or Start/Run and type in: services.msc

    Once there check to see that your proper services are started and running.

    As for the installer check that service as well.

    Added info:

    Windows Installer Issues (Line 348) Right hand side

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP

    "Kent P. Iler" <kent@iler.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I received the message: "Windows XP could not start because the following
    > file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM "
    >
    > I followed the steps here: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_sys32.htm
    >
    > Now I can boot, but I can't install anything (says something about windows
    > installer needs updated, Norton products won't liveupdate, and several
    > services can't start (like PCAnywhere)). I've tried to download the
    > latest Windows Installer, but they don't have anything that you can
    > download.
    >
    > Also when I went under System Information, it couldn't display anything -
    > said something about unable to access network information (sorry....exact
    > error message not available - doing this from memory on another computer).
    >
    > Does anyone have any recommendations short of formatting and reinstalling?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -- Kent Iler
    > kent@iler.NOSPAM.com
    > Please CC: all replies via e-mail
    > Remove .NOSPAM from e-mail address

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    I checked the services. Many are running, but I didn't see anything
    about the installer. Is there the equivalent of System File Checker
    with XP? Should I just re-install over the old OS and hopefully most
    things will still be installed?

    Thanks for your help!

    --Kent Iler
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    Yes. To run the checker and restore missing or corrupted system files:

    Start>Run type cmd and enter. At the prompt type "sfc /scannow" (no quotes,
    include the space). It will probably request the XP cd. You may encounter
    problems if SP2 was installed separately.

    "kentiler" <kentiler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I checked the services. Many are running, but I didn't see anything
    > about the installer. Is there the equivalent of System File Checker
    > with XP? Should I just re-install over the old OS and hopefully most
    > things will still be installed?
    >
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > --Kent Iler

Microsoft Windows XP