VIA CPU benchmark/review?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I was just wondering if anyone knew where i can see some benchmarks of VIA's C7 chip, as apparently you can run it without a fan. This chip would be great for me as i'm trying to see if i can build a relatively cheap home entertainment PC that is perfectly silent.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hust google on C7 review. I have found interesting articles on the C7 this way and only remmember that like all previous VIA CPUs it sucks, even for a multimedia PC.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I was just wondering if anyone knew where i can see some benchmarks of VIA's C7 chip, as apparently you can run it without a fan. This chip would be great for me as i'm trying to see if i can build a relatively cheap home entertainment PC that is perfectly silent.

Is size a constraint? If not, you can build most any system you want using current vibration isolation products and make an inexpensive sound trap to eliminate the flow noise.

Pippero

Distinguished
May 26, 2006
Try to go for a an ULV Intel Core Duo 1.2 GHz. (not Core 2 Duo)
It has a typical power consumption of 1W, and maxes out at 9W.
It is often used in ITX / ETX form factors, it is not exactly cheap (i think one board with 945G North Bridge plus CPU is around 900$), but it's the best you can get.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

Is size a constraint? If not, you can build most any system you want using current vibration isolation products and make an inexpensive sound trap to eliminate the flow noise.

The reason i was looking at that Via C7 is the fact you can get a mini atx case with it.

But looking at that review they only look at the Eden CPU @ 1.2ghz, whereas there is a C7 at 2ghz available. Anyone know the performance differences between the two?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

The reason i was looking at that Via C7 is the fact you can get a mini atx case with it.

But looking at that review they only look at the Eden CPU @ 1.2ghz, whereas there is a C7 at 2ghz available. Anyone know the performance differences between the two?

35-40%, if they operate at the same IPC.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

35-40%, if they operate at the same IPC.

That actually makes getting a C7 a plausible option, 720p might work after all! I'll have to do some more research!

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
For all the work you are doing looking into this why not just buy a shuttle xpc and put either an e6300 or EE 3800+x2, depending on which one you go with and be done with it? Seems like you are going through an awful lot of trouble for something you are not even sure is going to work. Go with a shuttle, intel or amd does not really matter, and then a silent pipe II 7600gt from gigabyte.

Well, when you only have like 6 hours tutor time a week and only had 1 essay to do in the last 2 months i don't REALLY have anything better to do, do i?