Had a power outage and lost DBCS - Redux

I rebooted and ran sfc. My DBCS characters are still messed up in Windows
Explorer. But now they don't look like a Japanese House on a hill with a
hat. Now they look like a fork with a a very squiggly piece of goop on the
prongs. All the DBCS characters look like this. In other words all my DBCS
characters have reverted to a generic goop sort of like the default Windows
icon which appears when a application is removed which was pointed to by a
desktop shortcut. Ever seen this and can suggest a fix? Windows 2000
Server SP3.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

    In news:OrrJKOPeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> typed:
    > I rebooted and ran sfc. My DBCS characters are still messed up in
    > Windows Explorer. But now they don't look like a Japanese House on a
    > hill with a hat. Now they look like a fork with a a very squiggly
    > piece of goop on the prongs. All the DBCS characters look like this.
    > In other words all my DBCS characters have reverted to a generic goop
    > sort of like the default Windows icon which appears when a
    > application is removed which was pointed to by a desktop shortcut.
    > Ever seen this and can suggest a fix? Windows 2000 Server SP3.

    What's DBCS?

    Also, get a UPS.... :)

    Well they all went back to normal. Another Power Outage is all it took.
    D(ouble)B(yte)C(haracter)S(et).. U(interrupted)P(ower)S(upply) is a waste
    of money Lanwench. They are very specific to the type of Power Outages
    which can occur for which they will work as expected. Hence the more types
    they cover the more they cost and when it comes down to apples and oranges
    none can guard against them all. They are a waste of money. I know you
    don't believe me. That's fine. The only UPS that works is those which
    Hospitals have namely their own Generators.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    In news:uaIhDhueFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> typed:
    > Well they all went back to normal. Another Power Outage is all it
    > took. D(ouble)B(yte)C(haracter)S(et)..

    Thank you - and I'm glad your mysterious problem disappeared.

    > U(interrupted)P(ower)S(upply)

    Ah. But perhaps I was talking about the guys in the brown trucks. <g>

    > is a waste of money Lanwench. They are very specific to the type of
    > Power Outages which can occur for which they will work as expected.
    > Hence the more types they cover the more they cost and when it comes
    > down to apples and oranges none can guard against them all. They are
    > a waste of money. I know you don't believe me. That's fine. The
    > only UPS that works is those which Hospitals have namely their own
    > Generators.

    Really? So all the myriad times my clients have had power surges/spikes, and
    failures, and their APC SmartUPS and even (BackUPS) units handled it, logged
    it, and even performed a graceful shutdown / automatic restart if called
    for, I was just the luckiest admin on the planet? I don't buy cheap 'n
    cheerful stuff, ever. Maybe that's why. Can't say. ;-)

    >> In news:OrrJKOPeFHA.2888@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> typed:
    >>> I rebooted and ran sfc. My DBCS characters are still messed up in
    >>> Windows Explorer. But now they don't look like a Japanese House on
    >>> a hill with a hat. Now they look like a fork with a a very squiggly
    >>> piece of goop on the prongs. All the DBCS characters look like
    >>> this. In other words all my DBCS characters have reverted to a
    >>> generic goop sort of like the default Windows icon which appears
    >>> when a application is removed which was pointed to by a desktop
    >>> shortcut. Ever seen this and can suggest a fix? Windows 2000
    >>> Server SP3.
    >>
    >> What's DBCS?
    >>
    >> Also, get a UPS.... :)

    Well it's too bad you weren't around when our company experienced ours.
    Because we blew out the UPS also. When the guy came to give us another he
    told me the unvarnished truth about them. More types of Powrer Outages
    which can occur that they cover the more expensive they are. That ended my
    quest for a PSU mighty fast around here. Let the Power fail. So far they
    haven't done any real damage except for the loss of the DBCS in Windows
    Explorer which it seems the solution was two more Power Outages which the
    Power Company was very happy to oblige I'm sure.

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________

    In news:eeAqFg3eFHA.1328@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> typed:
    > Well it's too bad you weren't around when our company experienced
    > ours. Because we blew out the UPS also. When the guy came to give us
    > another he told me the unvarnished truth about them. More types of
    > Powrer Outages which can occur that they cover the more expensive
    > they are. That ended my quest for a PSU mighty fast around here.
    > Let the Power fail. So far they haven't done any real damage except
    > for the loss of the DBCS in Windows Explorer which it seems the
    > solution was two more Power Outages which the Power Company was very
    > happy to oblige I'm sure.

    Sorry you've had this experience. I don't use UPS devices on workstations
    unless the building is known to have extremely flaky power. I *always* put
    them on servers, and they have served me very well - and yes, I have
    experienced power outages as well as major spikes. Etc. I've also lost minor
    things like RAID configs in servers *without* UPSes attached. I wouldn't
    dream of not putting one on a server. I monitor the logs to make sure the
    battery is in good shape, and the regular self-tests are running
    successfully. I'm totally sold.

    >> In news:uaIhDhueFHA.2420@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    >> George Hester <hesterloli@hotmail.com> typed:
    >>> Well they all went back to normal. Another Power Outage is all it
    >>> took. D(ouble)B(yte)C(haracter)S(et)..
    >>
    >> Thank you - and I'm glad your mysterious problem disappeared.
    >>
    >>> U(interrupted)P(ower)S(upply)
    >>
    >> Ah. But perhaps I was talking about the guys in the brown trucks. <g>
    >>
    >>> is a waste of money Lanwench. They are very specific to the type of
    >>> Power Outages which can occur for which they will work as expected.
    >>> Hence the more types they cover the more they cost and when it comes
    >>> down to apples and oranges none can guard against them all. They
    >>> are a waste of money. I know you don't believe me. That's fine.
    >>> The only UPS that works is those which Hospitals have namely their
    >>> own Generators.
    >>
    >> Really? So all the myriad times my clients have had power
    >> surges/spikes, and failures, and their APC SmartUPS and even
    >> (BackUPS) units handled it, logged it, and even performed a graceful
    >> shutdown / automatic restart if called for, I was just the luckiest
    >> admin on the planet? I don't buy cheap 'n cheerful stuff, ever.
    >> Maybe that's why. Can't say. ;-)

Power Outage Windows