Compact but powerful

1eyegouge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Im looking to build a gaming system thats compact enough for me to take on the road with me, yet doesn't suck balls when it comes to performance.

I don't want to be forced to use mini graphics cards but i also dont want to be lugging a 50 lbs. powerhouse like i have at home.

Any suggestions?

raven70

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I couldn't talk my wife into letting me purchase this, but as a combo, this is a really nice price (just over $500 at New Egg, and that includes the 7950GT 512MB). Just add a good proc, memory, HD, and DVD drive, and you could have a very good system for around $1K or less. AND very portable. Google the SN26P. . lots of good reviews, and even a guy out there that did a water cooled version. . .

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16856101016

Pros: SLI, Shuttle, EVGA 7950 GT 512MB Graphics, SATA Raid, etc.

Cons: Socket 939, Not sure about PSU handling 2 high end GPUs, memory is older DDR333/400 and only 2GB max (which for gaming should be fine).

The bad thing about mini-ATX mobos for the Core 2 Duo is the limited overclocking capabilities. Been doing a little research on the G965 and the VIA's chipset (can't remember the name). They typically cannot be overclocked above 290MHz. That's because the PCI-e frequencies are not independent of the FSB like in the P965 and 975x chipsets. The G965 and VIA's chipset only provided a limited number of PCI-e dividers.

For someone doing lite overclocks this will not be a problem, but if you want to use DDR2 667 RAM at the rated speed then it will be a problem since you'll need to set the FSB to 333MHz.

1eyegouge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Only thing i see that i dont like is the Socket 939. There are no upgrades for this as far as i know beyond what is on the market now.

im just a little worried about limits in upgradeabilty with a system designed to be small

Generally speaking, if you are going to go down the mini-ATX case route, then you need to know the limitations.

1. Probably 4 drives max; typically 1 DVD ROM and 3 hard drives.
2. Limited PSU upgradability. You want a case that can accept a standard "Full" ATX power supply, not a m-ATX PSU.
3. Only one PCI-e x16 slot. If you want Crossfire or SLI in the future, then forget.
4. Only 2 PCI slot. One slot will probably be used by the sound card. That leaves one free PCI slot for whatever else.
5. Overheating. This will be a concern in a case with very poor ventilation especially doing any type of overclocking.

1eyegouge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
The case i linked is fairly small but it looks like it supports all regular sized gear. As far as overheating is concerned i could always through a side mounted fan on there if required. Although hacking through an aliminum case is no fun ..

I didn't see the power supply specs there though. Maybe im just blind.

The case i linked is fairly small but it looks like it supports all regular sized gear. As far as overheating is concerned i could always through a side mounted fan on there if required. Although hacking through an aliminum case is no fun ..

I didn't see the power supply specs there though. Maybe im just blind.

You must have posted your messege about the Antec Super Lanboy when I was writing my post.

Anywaste, that case doesn't come with a power supply; that's a good thing. Therefore you can drop in any regular "full size" ATX PSU you want.

My post was geared towards a micro ATX case. Since I use the Antec Aria for my HTPC I figure I just point out the limitation of an m-ATX case in case you were unaware.

1eyegouge

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
lol, i am unaware when it comes to micro systems. I beggared myself building a quad-sli setup at home, but as you can guess it's a monster.

I do want something that can be packed in a Pelican case and taken on the road, but i think i can get away with the Lanboy as far as size. This way i dont have to get a 6k laptop that overheats every 3 mins.