Sign in with
Your question

E6600,P5BDlx,8800gts overclocking experience.

Last response: in Overclocking
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 2, 2007 7:25:34 PM

DISCLAMER: Keep in mind that my case has a total of 5 120mm and is really well cooled so that explains so of the temps and performance I get.
So you your mileage may vary and the voltage I used might not work for you! I would say that all the voltage are really safe though!

I recently finished putting together my computer, the components I have bought are pretty popular and most of them should remain for a little while. So I decided to make a thead about my experience building this rig. And especially Ocing it. It might be insightfull for some!

The rig (with links where I bought it, sohodiffusion is a canadian compagny where I live, the rest is from the states).
Asus P5B- Dlx
E6600 ( L629B)
Tuniq Tower 120
Zalman STG1 thermal compound
Buffalo Firestix DDRII-800Cl5
Asus 8800GTS
Corsair 620W PSU
2 X Raptor 36gig 16meg RAID0
1 X Seagate 7200.10 320gig
1 X Some Maxtor 250gig(left over)
Lite-On sata burner
Lite-On Sata DVD reader
SilverStone Temjin 9 Black Window
3 X Scythe Sflex( 2 X 800rpm , 1 X 1200RPM)

Now starting with the initial assembly, eveything went smooth thanks to the TJ09, it is extremly roomy, got a removable tray. I used my TuniqTower120(TT120) right away with the Zalman thermal compound.

Instalation of the TT120 went without a hitch, takes a little longer then your average Cooler but well worth it. I did not put enough thermal grease at first the temperature where way to high had to clean and re-apply but thats life.

Second job was to cable manage all of that hardware, I think I did a really decent job, will post some pics but the camera is not working with Windows x64 =(.

Next I did my raid floppy and booted without a single problem of the Windows x64 cd(only legit copy I had access to). Instalation was done with the SATA burner everything went fine. So far really pleased witht he SATA opticals, not expensive clean looking works great with Nero 7.5 and DVDShrink.

Enough chatting now for the nice part, I started pushing the limit of the system a bit, following some guidelines along the one made by Wusy in his OC guide, I took the CPU to 3ghz (9 *333) on the second day, everything ran fine and still well in the temperature range I was shooting for.
Another really good guide was the one put by Tony on Tech Repository.

With this guide I started tweaking my Ram, I had it running almost right away at: DDRII-800 4-4-4-12 with
Dram Write Recovery time : 6
DRAM TRFC : 20
TRRD Options 10
Rank Write to Read delay 10
Read to Precharge delay 10

I stopped tinkering with the ram for the moment being, it will go all the way to 450mhz(DDRII-900) with this settings which is pretty good for 242$ ram! If you want CL4 800-900, this ram is really good and pretty cheap!
Now that I found out a good baseline for my Ram I went ahead and started playing with the CPU clock speed. To make sure it was stable and within acceptable temperature, I ran dual instance of Prime95 while monitoring with CoreTemp for the temperature. I found that I had to keep the VCore under 1.45 so 1.4375 if I didn’t want the temperature to go to much over 60c. At 1.4375 I can run the CPU at 3.6 ghz with 8X450. It will idle at 36C and run at around 60c under full extend load and might hit 62-65 once in a while. I found that 400 X 9 was somewhat unstable and wouldn’t offer that much performance gain when moving a little Over 400 that’s why I chose to run with a x8 multiplier. (the reason of the behavior is Here)

I found that the computer would be dual prime 96 stable only for 2h30minutes at 450X8.
440 X 8 @ 3520mhz was 7h39+ dual prime stable.

Settings from the jumperfree menu:
PCI Express: 110mhz, Mem:2.1v, CPU: 1.3475v, FSB Termination:1.4v, NorthBridge VCore: 1.45, SouthBridge VCore: 1.60

Now that I know the basics of what my processor will for stable 24/7 operation some 3d!.

I used Ati Tool to overclock the GPU. The find max Ram speed did work, I found the limit to be at 1002mhz, the memory doesn't change performance all that much with nVidia cards so I set it at 990mhz to leave GPU headroom. For the core, it was tryed and error, the limit for 3DMark stable no artifact within 85Celcius(most of the time it's 72-80c for me) is 640mhz, after that I am pretty sure it is voltage starve, not into modding yet so that the limit =).

3D06: 10986, 640/990 , 3.825(9X425)
In game 3D06, temps are really good!
3D01: 61644, same settings as 3D06

Finally a Spi of 13.172seconds

So that sums it up, if you have any question, comments, tip to get it faster feel free to contribute, I will OC some more and tweak so I will keep you posted, I am also going to do a Sub 0 air cooling session shortly, that should let me push VCore at 1.5-1.6 and go in the 4ghz no problem!

Also Happy year 2007
January 3, 2007 9:28:11 AM

For 24/7 itll give you better performance on the x8 multiplier, but to break that 01 score youll need x9 and risk the temps a bit.
Tony has elaborated way too much on this board for it to be a challenge anymore...
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 3, 2007 2:15:21 PM

Hehe agree with you would've like the P5N32-E or ICFX3200 challenge hehe.
Related resources
January 3, 2007 3:07:04 PM

I purchased the GA-965G by mistake (instead of the 965P). I have it at 3Ghz stable but can't go any higher due to board limitations.

If I decide to change my board do you guys suggest the P5BDlx for the e6600 or the Gigabyte 965P or the Abit AWD board. Having trouble deciding which would be the best to go with if I decided to change. I am using the scythe infinity to cool.

Also which is a goodoverclocking guide for the P5BDlx?

Thanks and nice overclock!
January 4, 2007 6:49:21 AM

When you want to overclock like the big boys just let me know :wink:
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2007 3:33:41 PM

Like the big boys involve Some Vcore and VDroop mod ain't it?

@pchatterjee, what are your overclocking goals? Is there any feature set that you really need or that you don't need?

I have no experience on the giga and a little on the Abit. I must say that the P5b is a really solid and mature product, I would recommend it anyday. Looking at anandtech they got an update on the gigabyte, worth looking at it.

If you are not going for anything over 400 or 450 the Abit and the Asus would do the trick
January 4, 2007 4:25:00 PM

Probably. But I meant more like aiming at top speed, not necessarily unusable for 24/7 operation.
January 4, 2007 5:21:35 PM

My goals would be to get to at least 3.6Ghz stable with the e6600. And also to get a better idea of what I would have to do to get to 4Ghz stable. I am guessing based on what I have read that this is very much luck of the draw with the CPU of whether you can get to 4ghz stable.

Oh yeah I want to overclock the 8800gts as well but that's after make a little more headway with the CPU.

I have 2 Wd raptors that I run in Raid 0 SATA. That would be the only requirement other than having a CPU that's stable at high speeds for at least a year.

I am trouble deciding between the evga 680i (concerned about its current issues), the P5B or the just getting the 965P I originally intended to get.
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2007 6:55:06 PM

Oh.. less exiting lol.

But yeah I will when I get some time and my actual OS, probably not x64. I will have some fun runs for sure =). But I wanted to find a good base from where I can start to work with.

I am still doing it pretty old school everything in bios. I am having trouble getting 3D and windows stable at 9X 430 (3.87ghz). I know the ram can do 450 no problem. I would think I need for Vcore, I gave it almost 1.5V if I remember correctly and it was still a no go.

BTW, how is your stuff comming along? And how's that super talent?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 4, 2007 6:56:56 PM

If you don't want SLi and want a computer soon I think the P5b or the Giga will do the trick just fine. You might be able to extract tighter memory performance with 680 but you might have to work harder!

The guide I link to Tech Repository is a good start...
January 5, 2007 12:30:46 AM

Quote:
I am having trouble getting 3D and windows stable at 9X 430 (3.87ghz).
Its your northbridge, ~1.6v will do with a fan on top. Increase FSB to 1.45v too.
For 3D performance you can raise PCIe frecuency up to ~125Mhz @ 1.7v SB without trouble while showing gains with that card.
DRAM TRFC goes at 42 and give it 2.2v at least...
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 5, 2007 9:27:40 PM

I will give it a shot for sure. Gotta find a proper cooling for the NB...

I did read that the TRFC could play a good role I will look into it. Dont know how much time I will get to spend this weekend but I'll keep you updated.

As always thanks for the tips dario! appreciate
January 7, 2007 10:20:17 AM

1.41vCore actual

That was like in the 4th try and because I stopped at 333Mhz, dual P95 right now... it takes sooo looong...
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2007 3:04:59 PM

Heh nice getting there =)

How do you get your actual Vcore PC ProbeII?
January 8, 2007 7:39:15 PM

PC Probe and Speedfan.
What BIOS are you using?
Anonymous
a b K Overclocking
January 8, 2007 9:35:28 PM

Latest I got thru Asus AsuS update

Any special one you recommend? I did not look into it the board being mature figured the latest would do.
January 9, 2007 3:15:42 AM

Youre using the 0804 then. If you have time try this one out: 0910
Its a beta release so you wont find it on Asus' server. Some people have had improved overclocking with it (lower voltages) and some others havent experienced a thing. So theres no known harm.
!