Black Screen after changing pixels

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
June 25, 2005 10:44:01 AM

Recently I reinstalled windows 2000 on my laptop. After changing the screen
resolution in the settings I received a black screen and was not able to
restore back the previous setting. I believe I set the resolution beyond the
capability of the monitor. The problem now is I can not log back on to fix
the problem as my screen is black and there is virtually no way for me to see
what I'm typing or clicking. I tried to start the computer in Safe mode but
the screen remains black.

Any suggestions??
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 12:10:49 PM

'Safe mode' and 'Safe mode with Networking' load the Vga.sys driver instead
of the normal driver. 'Enable VGA Mode' starts Windows in 640 X 480 mode
using the current video driver (not Vga.sys). This mode is useful for cases
in which the display was configured at a setting the monitor cannot display.
Failing this you might try connecting an external monitor and or check the
cmos setup.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Zik" wrote:
| Recently I reinstalled windows 2000 on my laptop. After changing the
screen
| resolution in the settings I received a black screen and was not able to
| restore back the previous setting. I believe I set the resolution beyond
the
| capability of the monitor. The problem now is I can not log back on to fix
| the problem as my screen is black and there is virtually no way for me to
see
| what I'm typing or clicking. I tried to start the computer in Safe mode
but
| the screen remains black.
|
| Any suggestions??
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 5:30:26 AM

It does sound like the graphics driver to me. Update it at the first chance
you have

Crouchie1998
BA (HONS) MCP MCSE
!