How to stop the boot-up upon crash

Hi!

Please, give some hint to trace a sudden crash at a boot-up, e.g. how to
stop the boot-up process to see the possible error message on the screen?
The machine is just rebooting and rebooting with no debug/tracing hints ...

On this particular WinNT4.0 case the crash is faced about on the 10th second
on the phase with the blue boot screen, and there is no memory.dmp, minidump,
ntbtlog or other logs available for tracing it.

I have been trying the boot.ini with /crashdebug /debug /sos /bootlog, but
not seen any help with these. And, the AutoReboot sure is off, checked on
the registry and the system32\config\system

Thanks in advance for any hints.

Best regards,

Pete V.
3 answers Last reply
More about stop boot crash

    I don't know how much good this will do, but from a parallel install, run
    regedt32.exe, then from the Local Machine Hive, choose Registry|Load Hive,
    then navigate to the
    %windir%\system32\config
    directory on the other install, and find the system file, then Open, in the
    Key Name box give it some temp name, then under tempname, navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Select
    and look in the Reg_Dword value of "Current", this is the current
    controlset, then navigate to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x\Control\CrashControl
    Where x = the value of "Current" (found above) and set the values as follows

    "AutoReboot"=dword:00000000
    "CrashDumpEnabled"=dword:00000001
    "LogEvent"=dword:00000001
    "Overwrite"=dword:00000001
    Then navigate back up to "tempname" and choose Unload Hive, and boot your
    original install, Autoreboot is now turned off so you should be able to read
    the stop error.

    Bug Check Codes
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_f55acfed-3296-4e84-8885-c3162fd0ddbf.xml.asp

    If nothing else you can at least recover your data from the parallel install
    prior to rebuilding the operating system.

    This article may also help you.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;266465

    --
    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "PeteV" wrote:
    | Hi!
    |
    | Please, give some hint to trace a sudden crash at a boot-up, e.g. how to
    | stop the boot-up process to see the possible error message on the screen?
    | The machine is just rebooting and rebooting with no debug/tracing hints
    |
    | On this particular WinNT4.0 case the crash is faced about on the 10th
    second
    | on the phase with the blue boot screen, and there is no memory.dmp,
    minidump,
    | ntbtlog or other logs available for tracing it.
    |
    | I have been trying the boot.ini with /crashdebug /debug /sos /bootlog, but
    | not seen any help with these. And, the AutoReboot sure is off, checked on
    | the registry and the system32\config\system
    |

    | Thanks in advance for any hints.
    |

    | Best regards,
    |
    | Pete V.

    It's so obvious it hurts. Right-click My Computer | Properties | Adavanced

    --
    George Hester
    _______________________________
    "PeteV" <PeteV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > Please, give some hint to trace a sudden crash at a boot-up, e.g. how to
    > stop the boot-up process to see the possible error message on the screen?
    > The machine is just rebooting and rebooting with no debug/tracing hints
    >
    > On this particular WinNT4.0 case the crash is faced about on the 10th
    second
    > on the phase with the blue boot screen, and there is no memory.dmp,
    minidump,
    > ntbtlog or other logs available for tracing it.
    >
    > I have been trying the boot.ini with /crashdebug /debug /sos /bootlog, but
    > not seen any help with these. And, the AutoReboot sure is off, checked on
    > the registry and the system32\config\system
    >

    > Thanks in advance for any hints.
    >

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Pete V.

    Hi!

    Thank you guys for your replies, case cleared!

    OK, several days I did try tricks here and there around just this "spot",
    but didn't succeed before doing everything once again step by step according
    to Dave's procedure.

    On my previous trials I didn't get the System hive load with regedt32 to
    function properly for some reason, neither now, but after a while and some
    more "learning" on the third-fourth trial, yes ...

    The main point now proved to be Selecting the right active CCS, in this case
    002, and changing the AutoReboot to ->0 in that particular hive, previously I
    did concentrate mainly on the basic CCS with no number ...

    OK, George also had a right hint, but in this case there wasn't any chance
    to change the AutoReboot status on Windows, because the system wasn't got up
    as it did always crash on boot-up ... thanks anyway for the same right cue ...

    And, as a "report" on this case, the basic reason for all this problem and
    "mess" proved to be a somehow suddenly for a week ago corrupted ensqio.sys
    driver!
    I did correct the problem, "for rehearsal" two times/ways, first with a
    Win2000 CD-ROM and Recovery Console (yes, for explanation, this case was a
    WinNT4.0 one, but I didn't get anything such done with the "native" CD-ROM!)
    disabling the ensqio service from the boot-up and the system got up fine,
    secondly replacing the ensqio.sys with a fresh copy and re-enabling the
    ensqio service and also with these actions the system got up fine!

    Thanks for the help, and I hope these hints will be helpful also for someone
    else.

    Best regards,

    Pete V.
    M.Sc.(IT)
    Helsinki, Finland

    "PeteV" wrote:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Please, give some hint to trace a sudden crash at a boot-up, e.g. how to
    > stop the boot-up process to see the possible error message on the screen?
    > The machine is just rebooting and rebooting with no debug/tracing hints ...
    >
    > On this particular WinNT4.0 case the crash is faced about on the 10th second
    > on the phase with the blue boot screen, and there is no memory.dmp, minidump,
    > ntbtlog or other logs available for tracing it.
    >
    > I have been trying the boot.ini with /crashdebug /debug /sos /bootlog, but
    > not seen any help with these. And, the AutoReboot sure is off, checked on
    > the registry and the system32\config\system
    >

    > Thanks in advance for any hints.
    >

    > Best regards,
    >
    > Pete V.

Boot Crash Windows