Reinstalling Windows 2000 from recovered files

Paul

Splendid

Hi,
I have had a disk problem (overheating) which destroyed the file allocation
table. As a result, the disk appeared as unformatted under Windows, but I
have been able to recover all files with EasyRecovery (from Ontrack). How
can I use these files to reinstall Windows 2000 on my new disk (without
having to make a fresh install) ? I think, in particular, to the boot master
sector and the regsitry ?

You can't unless you found the \i386 directory intact.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Paul (Bornival)" wrote:
| Hi,
| I have had a disk problem (overheating) which destroyed the file
allocation
| table. As a result, the disk appeared as unformatted under Windows, but I
| have been able to recover all files with EasyRecovery (from Ontrack). How
| can I use these files to reinstall Windows 2000 on my new disk (without
| having to make a fresh install) ? I think, in particular, to the boot
master
| sector and the regsitry ?

Paul

Splendid

Hi,
Thank you for your fast answer. I have looked at what I have recovered but
do not see a \i386 directory. Since I'am not familiar with Win2000 (this was
my only machine with that OS), I 'am not sure where to look for (\WinNT
directory ... ?).
Kind regards.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> You can't unless you found the \i386 directory intact.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Paul (Bornival)" wrote:
> | Hi,
> | I have had a disk problem (overheating) which destroyed the file
> allocation
> | table. As a result, the disk appeared as unformatted under Windows, but I
> | have been able to recover all files with EasyRecovery (from Ontrack). How
> | can I use these files to reinstall Windows 2000 on my new disk (without
> | having to make a fresh install) ? I think, in particular, to the boot
> master
> | sector and the regsitry ?

Some pc manufacturer's placed a copy on the %systemdrive% (in the root). It
won't exist on a clean install.

--

"Paul (Bornival)" wrote:
| Hi,
| Thank you for your fast answer. I have looked at what I have recovered
but
| do not see a \i386 directory. Since I'am not familiar with Win2000 (this
was
| my only machine with that OS), I 'am not sure where to look for (\WinNT
| directory ... ?).
| Kind regards.

Paul

Splendid

Once again, thank your fast reply. I guess I understand want you mean. You
are alluding to the i386 directory which is on the Windows2000 CD-Rom and
contains the installation programme. Since the machine whith which I had the
problem had indeed a clean install, this directory was not copied. I guess
all I can do is to reinstall Win2000 from the CD-Rom to my new disk. Would
you recommend me to copy the CD-Rom on the hard disk and install windows from
there (as was customary for Win95 and Win 98) it or to simply install from
the CD-Rom (as I do for Win XP) ?
Kind regards.

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> Some pc manufacturer's placed a copy on the %systemdrive% (in the root). It
> won't exist on a clean install.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Paul (Bornival)" wrote:
> | Hi,
> | Thank you for your fast answer. I have looked at what I have recovered
> but
> | do not see a \i386 directory. Since I'am not familiar with Win2000 (this
> was
> | my only machine with that OS), I 'am not sure where to look for (\WinNT
> | directory ... ?).
> | Kind regards.

The best method is to just boot the CD-Rom. To do a clean install, either
boot the Windows 2000 install CD-Rom or setup disks. The set of four install
disks can be created from your Windows 2000 CD-Rom; change to the \bootdisk
directory on the CD-Rom and execute makeboot.exe (from dos) or makebt32.exe
(from 32 bit) and follow the prompts.

Be sure to apply these to your new install before connecting to any network.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/E/6/A/E6A04295-D2A8-40D0-A0C5-241BFECD095E/W2KSP4_EN.EXE

You didn't mention the drive controller (if SCSI, or ultra DMA, or ATA100,
or raid, or serial ATA), you may need to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks
or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting
your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select
S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the
manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's controller in
drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

--

"Paul (Bornival)" wrote:
| Once again, thank your fast reply. I guess I understand want you mean.
You
| are alluding to the i386 directory which is on the Windows2000 CD-Rom and
| contains the installation programme. Since the machine whith which I had
the
| problem had indeed a clean install, this directory was not copied. I
guess
| all I can do is to reinstall Win2000 from the CD-Rom to my new disk.
Would
| you recommend me to copy the CD-Rom on the hard disk and install windows
from
| there (as was customary for Win95 and Win 98) it or to simply install
from
| the CD-Rom (as I do for Win XP) ?
| Kind regards.
|
| "Dave Patrick" wrote:
|
| > Some pc manufacturer's placed a copy on the %systemdrive% (in the root).
It
| > won't exist on a clean install.
| >
| > --
| > Regards,
| >
| > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.
| > Microsoft Certified Professional
| > Microsoft MVP [Windows]
| > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
| >
| > "Paul (Bornival)" wrote:
| > | Hi,
| > | Thank you for your fast answer. I have looked at what I have
recovered
| > but
| > | do not see a \i386 directory. Since I'am not familiar with Win2000
(this
| > was
| > | my only machine with that OS), I 'am not sure where to look for
(\WinNT
| > | directory ... ?).
| > | Kind regards.

Paul

Splendid

Thank you very much for the information. I eventually was able to reintsall
Win2000 without too much problems. Two points, however:
-during intallation, I was told that a seris of dll files couls not be found
on the CD-Rom I was using. Yet, those flile s*were* present but as dl_
files. Eventually, I made a reset, and setup resumed from a little before
that step and then proceeeded without any problem ... Any explanataion ?
- during Windows update, a series of critical updates consistently failed to
install. I was, however, able to install them one by one by downloading them
and then manually installing them. Any explanation as why Windows Update
does not work as smoothly with Win2000 as it does with WinXP

Kind regards,

Paul

"Dave Patrick" wrote:

> [...]
> the
> | problem had indeed a clean install, this directory was not copied. I
> guess
> | all I can do is to reinstall Win2000 from the CD-Rom to my new disk.
> Would
> | you recommend me to copy the CD-Rom on the hard disk and install windows
> from
> | there (as was customary for Win95 and Win 98) it or to simply install
> from
> | the CD-Rom (as I do for Win XP) ?
> | Kind regards.
> |
> | "Dave Patrick" wrote:
> |
> | > Some pc manufacturer's placed a copy on the %systemdrive% (in the root).
> It
> | > won't exist on a clean install.
> | >
> | > --
> | > Regards,
> | >
> | > Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup.

Probably a dirty CD-Rom or problematic CD-Rom drive.