Build #2...hope i'm not screwed

ManButter2K6

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
Here's the problem:

Just finished my friend's CPU I built for him....well, not finish, but all the pieces are in...

Connected the power cable, flipped the little switch on the back, pressed the power button...power came on, jubilation ensued BBUUTT two seconds later, power went off....WTF mate

Before I could reach around (THE COMPUTER!!) and turn the power switch off, boom, came back on....side case fans were spinning, VGA card fan was spinning, intel heatsink fan started spinning then, bam, back off again...then, couple seconds later, back on again, same thing

It just kept going and going, then I turned it off and it all stopped. I used this motherboard for my last CPU (Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 or something like that), so I'm a little confused....PLEASE HELP

P.S. I know the details are kinda vague, so if you need more info, let me know....thanks in advance for any help you can give me

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Almost certainly power related.

Check ALL of the PSU connections to the motherboard, including any auxiliary molex connecters, 4pin connecters etc...

If it's not that, then you've probably got a bad/underpowered PSU.

Post full specs of the system.

intelconvert6079

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Is there anything leaking on the motherboard? I am a noob, but I have heard of stuff like that happening. But, I think the first poster is probably right. Get a power supply that is 100 or so watts higher and see what happens.

ManButter2K6

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2006
ok guys false alarm

the compy's running 1 GB of RAM, and it's not dual-channel, but I had it set up in a dual-channel configuration

it's weird for the compy to act the way it did b/c of that, but I'm installing windows as we speak....well, type

thanks for the advice tho, and I appreciate your concern and two-cents into the situation