Sign in with
Your question

First Build and Problem with CPU

Last response: in Systems
January 2, 2007 8:16:41 PM

ok this is my first build and I ran across some problems. I have a c2d e6300, gigabye 965p s3, G.SKill 1GB DDR2 667, and Geforce 7600GT. I installed the CPU, Heatsink, memory and videocard then placed into the case. I then installed the Power Supply which and tested the system. Everything looked good so I quickly turned it all off and installed the HDD and DVD-burner. However, once I turned it all on again, the system ran for a few minutes and then cut off. I rechecked all the connections and tried again. Same problem. Once more I tried but I decided to check the fan and cpu settings in BIOS to see if they were the culprit. I then noticed my CPU temp was steadily rising and hit 110 C!!! and then the system cut off. What could be causing this extremely high temp? The heatsink is working and I have 2 120mm fans in the case as well. I am sure I installed everything correctly as I followed the instructions to the letter. Should I start over and try again?

More about : build problem cpu

January 2, 2007 8:39:20 PM

Try to reseat the hsf, its probably just not on there correctly. Thats the only logical explanation that i can think of.
January 2, 2007 9:25:56 PM

reseated the hsf and temps are now around 65 C when monitoring the temp in Bios. This is also with the case open. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the cpu temp on the c2d e6300 is lower at idle.
Related resources
January 2, 2007 9:46:41 PM

Use the utility core temp, its one of the most accurate temp monitors out there. Those temps are still pretty high for a C2D, nothing dangerous, but still high. What are the ambient temps in the room this pc is in?
January 2, 2007 9:56:53 PM

65C is way to hot. Using coretemp or TAT, your load temps should barely hit 50C. Every time you take the cpu cooler off, you need to clean off the thermal paste and re-apply it. Use rubbing alcohol and a coffee filter to get all of the compound off both the cpu heatspeader and the bottom of the hsf. When you put on the thermal compound make sure its spread very thinly; use something like a credit card to evenly spread it out on the cpu heatspreader. After the cpu cooler is mounted, it shouldn't wiggle at all.
January 2, 2007 10:21:58 PM

^^^ what they said. Make sure you connected the cpu fan power cable correctly. Especially if it's a 3-pin that goes into a 4-pin. & make sure there's no shorting out in the back of the board.
January 3, 2007 1:01:48 AM

i reseated but did not apply any thermal paste again. I was under the impression that the heatsink had some preapplied. I am running about 68 C right now and it is around 70 in the room. The heatsink does not wiggle at all when applied. I did not have any spacers or washers that came with the case. Instead, the motherboard was mounted and the copper or brass bolts I was supplied with were used to secure. Is the fact that there are no washers or spacers causing issues as well? I am using a Lian Li case with two 120mm fans and the temps are still high. Will reapplying the thermal paste make a big difference? I really want the temps to drop as I wanted to learn to do some mild OCing as well. Any other suggestions as to what can be done? Thanks for the help so far
January 3, 2007 1:19:41 AM

Yeah, clean the cpu and hsf like milnyckyj said (a towel or something of the like would work instead of a coffee filter.) , then apply some AS5 to the hsf, that should lower your temps by a couple degrees. What RPM is the hsf's fan spinning at?

Might want to look into an aftermarket hsf, you would get much better temps. The Scythe Infinity is a good cooler, and the Tuniq Tower 120 is pretty much the best air cooler available, but its really hard to find in stock.

Also, try to lower those room temps, 158°F is pretty toasty for a room! :D 

Quote:
I was under the impression that the heatsink had some preapplied.

Well, was there any applied? There should be 3 strips of gunk on the underside of the hsf.
January 3, 2007 1:24:29 AM

room temp at 70 F. thanks for pointing that out :lol:  So let me see if I have this straight. Get some thermal paste, apply some rubbing alcohol to a coffee filter and scrub the old thermal paste off of the heatsink and the space where it connects to the CPU. then reseat the heatsink to see if that helps with the temps. Can this be done without removing the mobo from the case? I would hate to have to rebuild everything just to see if this helps. Thanks
January 3, 2007 2:07:37 AM

You should be able to do it in the case, just lay it on its side. The reason why you use a coffee filter is because it won't leave any lint or dust on the cpu; you can start off cleaning most of the paste with a paper towel, then finish off with the alcohol and the filter. The alcohol and the filter should be the last things that touch the contact surfaces; oil from your skin is a no no.

The thermal stuff that comes on the hsf from intel has a wax in it; the first time you power up it melts and the paste sets. This can only be done once.
January 3, 2007 2:51:32 AM

ok the first time i turned everything on the hsf was not seated correctly and as I described earlier the comp would shut off. I guess this lead to the paste not being distributed correctly and the high temps. Is there any specific brand I should look for or whatever thermal paste they have at the local store okay?
January 3, 2007 2:58:29 AM

Funny thing, i thought HFS stands for Heat Sink Fan, and HS for Heat Sink ;) 

Remember to clean both the hs AND the cpu.
Remember also to reapply a THIN layer of termal compound on the heat sink OR cpu.

As it was stated many times before on many different forums in the history, the termal compound layer have to be very thin. Most overheating errors made by beginners seem to be caused by applying to much paste.

The termal compound is NOT a very good heat conductor. It is much better then air or finger oil or sweat though so it is a lesser bad. It is only used to fill up the tiny (microscopic) gaps between the hs and cpu.
The most important is always the direct contact between the hs and cpu so make sure the hs fits well and steady,

There are basically two kinds of termal paste:
-based on silicon (usually white)
-based on silver (usually gray metallic - silverish)

The silver in the silver based compounds make them conduct heat considerably better than the silicon ones, but it makes them also more expensive. Since only small amounts are needed for a processor, the silver paste is usually the best way to go.

There are also silicon compounds sold in big economical packs but they are not ment for cooling cpus. They are too weak for that.

I dont think there is any substantial difference between any actual brands but i never conducted any research in that matter. As long as the type is correct you should get what you wanted
January 3, 2007 3:12:29 AM

Quote:
Is there any specific brand I should look for or whatever thermal paste they have at the local store okay?

I only use Arctic Silver 5, its the best thermal paste out there, bar none. I guess you could use a cheapo, silicon based paste, but it wont work as well as AS5.
January 3, 2007 5:03:10 AM

BIOS is now reporting CPU temps varying between 40-45 C and cpu fan speed RPM between 980 - 1066. Core Temp is reporting Core ) at 50 C and Core 1 at 46 C. Am I correct in assuming these are now safe temps and everything is ok?
January 3, 2007 5:42:48 AM

Yeah, those temps are fine. What did you do to solve the problem?
January 3, 2007 3:43:55 PM

i just took another look at the heat sink and made sure everything was pressed in all of the way again and then unhooked the cpu fan power and connected back. Do you think I should still reapply some thermal paste as I want to be able to do some mild OCing in the near future?
January 4, 2007 2:27:57 PM

AS5 any day.

I think a tiny amount of thermal compound is enough. Too much isn't good. It takes time to become effective. If you want even lower temps, go water cooling. $$$
January 4, 2007 3:39:10 PM

So is all this clear now?
The OEM compound is a one-time thing! Once HS is installed it cannot be removed (or even moved) without breaking the seal and trashing the OEM compound.
If you break the OEM compound you must disassemble everything and clean it all up, as you've been told, and reapply new aftermarket compound.
There is only "one" compound - ArcticSilver!! Rub a tiny bit into the CPU heat spreader and also into the HS where it mates. Yes, not too much.
I am idling @ 28C and reaching ~50C (peak) with my rig @ 2.4GHz.
That's with the OEM Intel cooler and OEM compound (works good)...
Don't moan if you have to take it all apart and clean it up - you trashed the OEM compound. Have you never heard of any of this before?
Regards
!