Administrator, new computer

With my Win 2k system, I can log in as Administrator or as User. (Single
system). Great. I am planning to buy a new computer. I understand that I
will have to go to XP (whether I want to or not). Can I run programs as
an XP User that currently run as an 2000 Administrator? I like the
Administrator and User features for security. Use Administrator only
when installing. I understand that with XP this feature is not available
unless one is willing to pay more for the OS.

Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> With my Win 2k system, I can log in as Administrator or as User. (Single
> system). Great. I am planning to buy a new computer. I understand that I
> will have to go to XP (whether I want to or not). Can I run programs as
> an XP User that currently run as an 2000 Administrator? I like the
> Administrator and User features for security. Use Administrator only
> when installing. I understand that with XP this feature is not available
> unless one is willing to pay more for the OS.

Your understandings are not correct. Think of WinXP as simply an
upgrade of Win2K; functionality has been added, not taken away.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers wrote:

> Sanford Aranoff wrote:
> > With my Win 2k system, I can log in as Administrator or as User. (Single
> > system). Great. I am planning to buy a new computer. I understand that I
> > will have to go to XP (whether I want to or not). Can I run programs as
> > an XP User that currently run as an 2000 Administrator? I like the
> > Administrator and User features for security. Use Administrator only
> > when installing. I understand that with XP this feature is not available
> > unless one is willing to pay more for the OS.
> >

> Your understandings are not correct. Think of WinXP as simply an
> upgrade of Win2K; functionality has been added, not taken away.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Thanks. Then why is this issue raised on the Internet?

Also, a friend has XP. She says there is no Administrator.

David

Sanford Aranoff wrote

> Also, a friend has XP. She says there is no Administrator.

Just a note: XP Home Administrator is accessed in Safe Mode

--
David

DC

Hi,

There are Administrator on both XP HE and XP Pro. Upgrade of W2K is XP
Pro.
Some box builders like Dell set up their boxes with a hidden partition
with the OS and all the other CD information on the computer and send no
CD's.

You should set up your computer with an Administrator account and an
extra Admin account with appropriate strong passwording, and be sure to
write those down and store somewhere you can not forget where they are
located.

good computing,
dc
==========

dc wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are Administrator on both XP HE and XP Pro. Upgrade of W2K is XP
> Pro.
> Some box builders like Dell set up their boxes with a hidden partition
> with the OS and all the other CD information on the computer and send no
> CD's.
>
> You should set up your computer with an Administrator account and an
> extra Admin account with appropriate strong passwording, and be sure to
> write those down and store somewhere you can not forget where they are
> located.
>
> good computing,
> dc

Thank you.