Does the GT in 8800GTS stand for Golden Turd? I think so.

Do you like wasting money on products that don''t work?

• Yes, I love to be shafted

Votes: 48 65.8%
  • No, I expect value for my dollar

Votes: 25 34.2%

• Total voters

soylentgreen183

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Purchased an XFX 8800GTS over the holiday and am very disappointed. I purchased the card based on the great reviews here at tomshardware.com. Unfortunately though, the drivers are for crap. Many games don't render right, I can't resize my screen correctly. It's a nightmare. I'm not sure how the card/drivers were tested, but I think we need to forget about FPS and consider the basics like does the card even work.

Maybe I'm the only one with my PC hooked to a 42" plasma via DVI-to-HDMI and wanting to output in 720p. Maybe I'm the only person wanting to play Splinter Cell: Double Agent. What I do know is that I bought myself a nice $400 Golden Turd for xmas, and just have to wait until all the bugs are worked out. Sure would be nice if vendors would release products and software that actually worked. It would also be nice it sites like Tom's Hardware would review products using the same drivers available to the public...oh well, I suppose one can dream. :x

soylentgreen183

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Haha, very funny aNOOBis. However, the problems have been admitted by both XFX and NVIDIA. I'm just pissed off because I'm tired of vendors releasing products and expecting consumers to just wait for patches; it's ridiculous.

The current drivers are 97.44, but these and the 97.02 drivers have issues when trying to save the TV resize setting. If you load the 96.97 drivers, which were never publicly released, the resize works ok, but then Splinter Cell is f'd up.

Anyway, doesn't really matter as you clearly only wanted to make a snide comment.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Isn't Double Agent supposed to be super buggy anyway?

I also think the problem is with you - do your research before dropping that sort of cash.

If what you say here:

However, the problems have been admitted by both XFX and NVIDIA.

is true, then surely it's your fault for buying, despite knowing about this being a buggy area!?!

Knyte

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
You did make sure to erase all traces of any prior video drivers before installing the card? Ran DriverCleaner Pro in safe mode? If their are any traces of older drivers, it can seriously mess alot of things up. Especially if they are completely different drivers and not just an update to existing ones. (Which in your case, they are all-new drivers.)

Also, rather than complaining about it in a generic tech forum. Have you tried checking around XFX forums and Nvidia forums for other people having the same problems and any fixes they may have found?

The problems never gets solved if you sit and bitch about it. You gotta get your hands dirty and fix it.

soylentgreen183

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Thanks, but it isn't like I knew this going into the purchase. I only found this out after going back and fourth with XFX for about a week and a half. After they were able to reproduce the same issues in their lab then they told me it was a driver issue and pushed the blame on NVIDIA. I get that, but it is also lame to pass the buck like that. After all XFX made the cash on my purchase.

It isn't really the money part that bothers me, it really wasn't all that much, it's more the principle of the whole thing.

soylentgreen183

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
You did make sure to erase all traces of any prior video drivers before installing the card? Ran DriverCleaner Pro in safe mode? If their are any traces of older drivers, it can seriously mess alot of things up. Especially if they are completely different drivers and not just an update to existing ones. (Which in your case, they are all-new drivers.)

Also, rather than complaining about it in a generic tech forum. Have you tried checking around XFX forums and Nvidia forums for other people having the same problems and any fixes they may have found?

The problems never gets solved if you sit and bitch about it. You gotta get your hands dirty and fix it.

Trust me, I've posted in the NVIDIA forums. I mainly posted here because I'm a bit irritated with tomshardware.com for not using the released drivers, and there is no direct way to email them and complain.

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006
I agree with the premise of your argument, but who should we blame? For the hardware companies to test every possible game and configuration would undoubtably delay many releases, p'ing off the majority of people who won't have problems. Greed is also a factor, as of course they want to start cashing in as soon as possible on their R&D. However, the problem has become so rampant that it is pretty much accepted by most who like living on the bleeding edge of PC tech. So either take the good with the bad and simply wait for new drivers to be released, or only buy products once they've become more established.

Sorry to hear about all the issues, really.
Yes it does suck totally to spend top dollar for buggy hardware/software.

That's why I will very seldom buy the lastest greatest stuff. I always buy when parts have been out about 9 months to a year.

Ever heard the old saying "bleeding to death on the cutting edge of technology"?

But really, think about it. The only way companies have to test a product completely is to get it out there. There are literally millions of configurations possible with all todays software and hardware that make releasing something new that will work well in every instance, and beat your competitor to the market (which is what it's ALL about) a tall task. The best they can do after fair amount of testing is release, listen for the problems to begin, and start fixing!

Not what anyone wants to hear after dropping $600 on new a item, but that is pretty much the way it works.

Xazax310

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
if you have a 40" plasma why not buy the 7950GX2 those things are practically built for those kind of screens and have the power to run every game on high at that resolution also the drivers are better..... see if u can return the 8800GTS and get 7950GX2

njvsav

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Purchased an XFX 8800GTS over the holiday and am very disappointed. I purchased the card based on the great reviews here at tomshardware.com. Unfortunately though, the drivers are for crap. Many games don't render right, I can't resize my screen correctly. It's a nightmare. I'm not sure how the card/drivers were tested, but I think we need to forget about FPS and consider the basics like does the card even work.

Maybe I'm the only one with my PC hooked to a 42" plasma via DVI-to-HDMI and wanting to output in 720p. Maybe I'm the only person wanting to play Splinter Cell: Double Agent. What I do know is that I bought myself a nice $400 Golden Turd for xmas, and just have to wait until all the bugs are worked out. Sure would be nice if vendors would release products and software that actually worked. It would also be nice it sites like Tom's Hardware would review products using the same drivers available to the public...oh well, I suppose one can dream. :x

The first round of cards released were ALL made by Nvidia and rebranded by XFX, eVGA, BFG, etc.

That said, I have the same card hooked up to a 24" Dell Widescreen and have had ZERO problems for the past month with either driver. Someone already stated this, but you can't expect an INITIAL release to be problem free and tested in EVERY possible configuration and for it to be 'perfect' in two driver releases.

Unless you're new to the PC World, you should already know buying BRAND new products that are bleeding edge are NEVER going to be perfect. But if you feel better whining like a 12 year old about how you got 'shafted'...by all means, carry on.

Talon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
From the sound of your post you are having these issues playing Splinter Cell only. It thats the case its likely it needs optimization for that game which will come in time.

As Prozac said the 8800GTS beats the piss out of the 7950GX2 so don't think of trading the cards.

Most likely your issue will be remedied in the near future. Sorry that the main game you play is one of the few with issues but as many have said, its near impossible to test with everything and get a product out in a reasonable time frame.

Best advice: You have a great card, be a little more patient and things will be ok.

chungdokwan

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
Incidently it may be worth posting your current hardware setup, maybe someone might spot something that could be causing problems.

Personally I think it just doesn't like your enormous monitor.

Worth a shot anyway i guess

Sethanis

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
Check that u have updated drivers for ur monitor, and system spec's would be helpfull. Make sure u've connected up to the duel dvi port. Do u have any problems with video playback or other games, as it sounds like splintercell is the problem.

What is the Brand and spec's of ur monitor?

Next Driver release is suposed to be the end of january!

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

NOOB STFU.

This is exactly the kind of post we should all avoid.. if you ain't got anything useful to add just keep it tou yourself...

@soylent: just wait for the nextdriver release (and possibly an update for splinter cell) and you'll be fine

PSYCHoHoLiC

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006
I bought an EVGA 8800gts from frys, It was alright.. Did extremely well in benchmarks, 10,300 in 3dmark 2006, 17200 in 05.. But I didnt see a whole lot of difference at 1600X1200 in the games i play.. comming from my X1900XTX. Went back to the XTX For now.. Might go back to an 8800 Later, or Possibly R600.

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
Unless you're new to the PC World, you should already know buying BRAND new products that are bleeding edge are NEVER going to be perfect. But if you feel better whining like a 12 year old about how you got 'shafted'...by all means, carry on.

You know what? Things like this happen because of you and the like. The impatient wastefull majority who does nothing serious with the expensive hardware they buy and thus can't have any problems with it.

Furthermore, you are obviously green when it comes to PCs because many of us can remember that approx. 20 years ago computer hardware industry wasn't only about shafting the customer. Computers were built to last, components were thoroughly tested and drivers weren't so bug ridden as they are today. Not to mention that rarely IF EVER you had to flash anything to make it work first time.

You and the like should STFU and better read about The Sad State Of Hardware and stop having delusions about you being smarter than the man who wrote that.

njvsav

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006

You know what? Things like this happen because of you and the like. The impatient wastefull majority who does nothing serious with the expensive hardware they buy and thus can't have any problems with it.

Furthermore, you are obviously green when it comes to PCs because many of us can remember that approx. 20 years ago computer hardware industry wasn't only about shafting the customer. Computers were built to last, components were thoroughly tested and drivers weren't so bug ridden as they are today. Not to mention that rarely IF EVER you had to flash anything to make it work first time.

You and the like should STFU and better read about The Sad State Of Hardware and stop having delusions about you being smarter than the man who wrote that.

Actually moron, you assumed that I'm not doing anything important, and we all know what happens when people assume. But I guess that boils down to NO ONE likes to here anything GOOD about products if they happen to contradict their own opinions. I use my PC for work, play and everything in between...and sorry to burst you're all knowing bubble, but I've had ZERO problems with my 8800. Count them again on your fingers if you need to, that was ZERO.

Furthermore, go back a little further to 20 years ago. Wanna see my IBM PC Jr sitting in the closet? Most expensive paperweight around. And you're misconceptions of '20 years ago' are hysterical, and you PROVED you know NOTHING about the history of PCs. 20 years ago you were taking a GAMBLE any time you purchased hardware or software and there were more compatability issues then. People paid hard earned money for IBM branded machines to avoid problems, and even then they still existed (see PC Jr. above). And '20 years ago' the hardware market wasn't NEARLY as fast moving as it is today. The people that wanted to avoid problems with computers 20 years ago...BOUGHT MACS, because 'they just work', like they still do now.

Now that you shot your mouth off about things you know nothing about, you've been educated. And now YOU, can STFU bud.

Oh, and by the way, that BLOG you linked to above, (The Sad State Of Hardware) if the crap that came spewing out of your keyboard onto this forum thread was a reflection of that article....you owe the original author an apology for trying to make him look stupid. What he says is somewhat vaild and makes sense, what you're saying is jibberish that means nothing. Reading comprehension problem much?