Sign in with
Your question

Does the GT in 8800GTS stand for Golden Turd? I think so.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays

Do you like wasting money on products that don''t work?

Total: 73 votes

• Yes, I love to be shafted
  • 66 %
  • No, I expect value for my dollar
  • 35 %
January 2, 2007 8:54:34 PM

Purchased an XFX 8800GTS over the holiday and am very disappointed. I purchased the card based on the great reviews here at tomshardware.com. Unfortunately though, the drivers are for crap. Many games don't render right, I can't resize my screen correctly. It's a nightmare. I'm not sure how the card/drivers were tested, but I think we need to forget about FPS and consider the basics like does the card even work.

Maybe I'm the only one with my PC hooked to a 42" plasma via DVI-to-HDMI and wanting to output in 720p. Maybe I'm the only person wanting to play Splinter Cell: Double Agent. What I do know is that I bought myself a nice $400 Golden Turd for xmas, and just have to wait until all the bugs are worked out. Sure would be nice if vendors would release products and software that actually worked. It would also be nice it sites like Tom's Hardware would review products using the same drivers available to the public...oh well, I suppose one can dream. :x
January 2, 2007 9:17:40 PM

I believe the problem exists between the chair and the monitor.
January 2, 2007 9:22:22 PM

I think so too.
January 2, 2007 9:25:03 PM

Haha, very funny aNOOBis. However, the problems have been admitted by both XFX and NVIDIA. I'm just pissed off because I'm tired of vendors releasing products and expecting consumers to just wait for patches; it's ridiculous.

The current drivers are 97.44, but these and the 97.02 drivers have issues when trying to save the TV resize setting. If you load the 96.97 drivers, which were never publicly released, the resize works ok, but then Splinter Cell is f'd up.

Anyway, doesn't really matter as you clearly only wanted to make a snide comment.
January 2, 2007 9:33:15 PM

Isn't Double Agent supposed to be super buggy anyway?

I also think the problem is with you - do your research before dropping that sort of cash.

If what you say here:

Quote:
However, the problems have been admitted by both XFX and NVIDIA.

is true, then surely it's your fault for buying, despite knowing about this being a buggy area!?!
January 2, 2007 9:37:58 PM

You did make sure to erase all traces of any prior video drivers before installing the card? Ran DriverCleaner Pro in safe mode? If their are any traces of older drivers, it can seriously mess alot of things up. Especially if they are completely different drivers and not just an update to existing ones. (Which in your case, they are all-new drivers.)

Also, rather than complaining about it in a generic tech forum. Have you tried checking around XFX forums and Nvidia forums for other people having the same problems and any fixes they may have found?

The problems never gets solved if you sit and bitch about it. You gotta get your hands dirty and fix it.
January 2, 2007 9:41:26 PM

Thanks, but it isn't like I knew this going into the purchase. I only found this out after going back and fourth with XFX for about a week and a half. After they were able to reproduce the same issues in their lab then they told me it was a driver issue and pushed the blame on NVIDIA. I get that, but it is also lame to pass the buck like that. After all XFX made the cash on my purchase.

It isn't really the money part that bothers me, it really wasn't all that much, it's more the principle of the whole thing.
January 2, 2007 9:44:33 PM

Quote:
You did make sure to erase all traces of any prior video drivers before installing the card? Ran DriverCleaner Pro in safe mode? If their are any traces of older drivers, it can seriously mess alot of things up. Especially if they are completely different drivers and not just an update to existing ones. (Which in your case, they are all-new drivers.)

Also, rather than complaining about it in a generic tech forum. Have you tried checking around XFX forums and Nvidia forums for other people having the same problems and any fixes they may have found?

The problems never gets solved if you sit and bitch about it. You gotta get your hands dirty and fix it.

Trust me, I've posted in the NVIDIA forums. I mainly posted here because I'm a bit irritated with tomshardware.com for not using the released drivers, and there is no direct way to email them and complain.
January 2, 2007 9:47:48 PM

I agree with the premise of your argument, but who should we blame? For the hardware companies to test every possible game and configuration would undoubtably delay many releases, p'ing off the majority of people who won't have problems. Greed is also a factor, as of course they want to start cashing in as soon as possible on their R&D. However, the problem has become so rampant that it is pretty much accepted by most who like living on the bleeding edge of PC tech. So either take the good with the bad and simply wait for new drivers to be released, or only buy products once they've become more established.
a b U Graphics card
January 2, 2007 10:00:44 PM

Sorry to hear about all the issues, really.
Yes it does suck totally to spend top dollar for buggy hardware/software.

That's why I will very seldom buy the lastest greatest stuff. I always buy when parts have been out about 9 months to a year.

Ever heard the old saying "bleeding to death on the cutting edge of technology"?

But really, think about it. The only way companies have to test a product completely is to get it out there. There are literally millions of configurations possible with all todays software and hardware that make releasing something new that will work well in every instance, and beat your competitor to the market (which is what it's ALL about) a tall task. The best they can do after fair amount of testing is release, listen for the problems to begin, and start fixing!

Not what anyone wants to hear after dropping $600 on new a item, but that is pretty much the way it works.
January 2, 2007 10:07:08 PM

Hey, you lied to me. Your subject was one question and your poll was another. I want my wasted time back! :p 
January 2, 2007 10:32:01 PM

if you have a 40" plasma why not buy the 7950GX2 those things are practically built for those kind of screens and have the power to run every game on high at that resolution also the drivers are better..... see if u can return the 8800GTS and get 7950GX2
January 2, 2007 10:38:02 PM

WTF?

Don't give such crappy advice.

8800GTS kills a 7950GX2. Any day, any time.
January 2, 2007 10:45:22 PM

Quote:
Purchased an XFX 8800GTS over the holiday and am very disappointed. I purchased the card based on the great reviews here at tomshardware.com. Unfortunately though, the drivers are for crap. Many games don't render right, I can't resize my screen correctly. It's a nightmare. I'm not sure how the card/drivers were tested, but I think we need to forget about FPS and consider the basics like does the card even work.

Maybe I'm the only one with my PC hooked to a 42" plasma via DVI-to-HDMI and wanting to output in 720p. Maybe I'm the only person wanting to play Splinter Cell: Double Agent. What I do know is that I bought myself a nice $400 Golden Turd for xmas, and just have to wait until all the bugs are worked out. Sure would be nice if vendors would release products and software that actually worked. It would also be nice it sites like Tom's Hardware would review products using the same drivers available to the public...oh well, I suppose one can dream. :x

The first round of cards released were ALL made by Nvidia and rebranded by XFX, eVGA, BFG, etc.

That said, I have the same card hooked up to a 24" Dell Widescreen and have had ZERO problems for the past month with either driver. Someone already stated this, but you can't expect an INITIAL release to be problem free and tested in EVERY possible configuration and for it to be 'perfect' in two driver releases.

Unless you're new to the PC World, you should already know buying BRAND new products that are bleeding edge are NEVER going to be perfect. But if you feel better whining like a 12 year old about how you got 'shafted'...by all means, carry on.
January 2, 2007 11:14:15 PM

From the sound of your post you are having these issues playing Splinter Cell only. It thats the case its likely it needs optimization for that game which will come in time.

As Prozac said the 8800GTS beats the piss out of the 7950GX2 so don't think of trading the cards.

Most likely your issue will be remedied in the near future. Sorry that the main game you play is one of the few with issues but as many have said, its near impossible to test with everything and get a product out in a reasonable time frame.

Best advice: You have a great card, be a little more patient and things will be ok.
January 2, 2007 11:20:20 PM

Incidently it may be worth posting your current hardware setup, maybe someone might spot something that could be causing problems.

Personally I think it just doesn't like your enormous monitor.

Worth a shot anyway i guess
January 2, 2007 11:33:14 PM

Yea, PEBKAC ftw.
Also I love those poll results.
January 2, 2007 11:35:41 PM

Its possible that i'm plain slow but what does PEBKAC ftw mean ?
January 2, 2007 11:44:10 PM

PEBCAK = Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard
January 2, 2007 11:45:47 PM

yep slow thought so(thanks)
January 3, 2007 12:06:05 AM

Check that u have updated drivers for ur monitor, and system spec's would be helpfull. Make sure u've connected up to the duel dvi port. Do u have any problems with video playback or other games, as it sounds like splintercell is the problem.

What is the Brand and spec's of ur monitor?

Next Driver release is suposed to be the end of january!
January 3, 2007 12:06:10 AM

Quote:

NOOB STFU.

This is exactly the kind of post we should all avoid.. if you ain't got anything useful to add just keep it tou yourself...

@soylent: just wait for the nextdriver release (and possibly an update for splinter cell) and you'll be fine
January 3, 2007 12:43:10 AM

I bought an EVGA 8800gts from frys, It was alright.. Did extremely well in benchmarks, 10,300 in 3dmark 2006, 17200 in 05.. But I didnt see a whole lot of difference at 1600X1200 in the games i play.. comming from my X1900XTX. Went back to the XTX For now.. Might go back to an 8800 Later, or Possibly R600.
January 3, 2007 12:45:02 AM

Quote:
Unless you're new to the PC World, you should already know buying BRAND new products that are bleeding edge are NEVER going to be perfect. But if you feel better whining like a 12 year old about how you got 'shafted'...by all means, carry on.

You know what? Things like this happen because of you and the like. The impatient wastefull majority who does nothing serious with the expensive hardware they buy and thus can't have any problems with it.

Furthermore, you are obviously green when it comes to PCs because many of us can remember that approx. 20 years ago computer hardware industry wasn't only about shafting the customer. Computers were built to last, components were thoroughly tested and drivers weren't so bug ridden as they are today. Not to mention that rarely IF EVER you had to flash anything to make it work first time.

You and the like should STFU and better read about The Sad State Of Hardware and stop having delusions about you being smarter than the man who wrote that.
January 3, 2007 1:26:45 AM

Quote:

You know what? Things like this happen because of you and the like. The impatient wastefull majority who does nothing serious with the expensive hardware they buy and thus can't have any problems with it.

Furthermore, you are obviously green when it comes to PCs because many of us can remember that approx. 20 years ago computer hardware industry wasn't only about shafting the customer. Computers were built to last, components were thoroughly tested and drivers weren't so bug ridden as they are today. Not to mention that rarely IF EVER you had to flash anything to make it work first time.

You and the like should STFU and better read about The Sad State Of Hardware and stop having delusions about you being smarter than the man who wrote that.

Actually moron, you assumed that I'm not doing anything important, and we all know what happens when people assume. But I guess that boils down to NO ONE likes to here anything GOOD about products if they happen to contradict their own opinions. I use my PC for work, play and everything in between...and sorry to burst you're all knowing bubble, but I've had ZERO problems with my 8800. Count them again on your fingers if you need to, that was ZERO.

Furthermore, go back a little further to 20 years ago. Wanna see my IBM PC Jr sitting in the closet? Most expensive paperweight around. And you're misconceptions of '20 years ago' are hysterical, and you PROVED you know NOTHING about the history of PCs. 20 years ago you were taking a GAMBLE any time you purchased hardware or software and there were more compatability issues then. People paid hard earned money for IBM branded machines to avoid problems, and even then they still existed (see PC Jr. above). And '20 years ago' the hardware market wasn't NEARLY as fast moving as it is today. The people that wanted to avoid problems with computers 20 years ago...BOUGHT MACS, because 'they just work', like they still do now.

Now that you shot your mouth off about things you know nothing about, you've been educated. And now YOU, can STFU bud.

Oh, and by the way, that BLOG you linked to above, (The Sad State Of Hardware) if the crap that came spewing out of your keyboard onto this forum thread was a reflection of that article....you owe the original author an apology for trying to make him look stupid. What he says is somewhat vaild and makes sense, what you're saying is jibberish that means nothing. Reading comprehension problem much?
January 3, 2007 2:10:46 AM

Quote:
Actually moron...

We'll see about that soon. :twisted:

Quote:
...NO ONE likes to here anything GOOD about products...

Surely you mean "hear"?

Quote:
and sorry to burst you're all knowing bubble

It is "your", not "you're" which comes from "you are". Now who is moron? It's you obviously, for you can't spell.

Quote:
but I've had ZERO problems with my 8800. Count them again on your fingers if you need to, that was ZERO.

Yeah, like if I should trust your word when you can't even spell.

Quote:
Furthermore, go back a little further to 20 years ago.

Little further from the 20 years I was mentioning to the 20 years you are mentioning? There must be some great difference between 20 and 20 I wasn't aware of.

Quote:
Wanna see my IBM PC Jr sitting in the closet?

So you are a junk collector now? Make up your mind please. I thought you were doing something usefull with PCs, not just collecting them and keeping them in your closet.

Quote:
Most expensive paperweight around.

Yeah, just like your 8800 is going to be in 6 months or so.

Quote:
And you're misconceptions of '20 years ago' are hysterical

There you go again, moron.

Quote:
People paid hard earned money for IBM branded machines to avoid problems, and even then they still existed (see PC Jr. above).

So you admit you've been shafted? How can it be? Haven't you learned your own lesson?

Quote:
Now that you shot your mouth off about things you know nothing about, you've been educated.

Lucky me, I have been educated by an illiterate moron. Internet is cool.

Quote:
What he says is somewhat vaild and makes sense

Good, because there is still hope for you then. You are not in for a total denial.

Quote:
what you're saying is jibberish that means nothing.

Ah, at least you used "you're" properly once, I have to credit you for that tremendous mental effort.

Still, it should say "which means nothing" or better yet "meaningless gibberish" but I guess that's too hard to spell for a person with such a low IQ whose only resort in the absence of valid arguments is to start spewing out insults and personal attacks.

Quote:
Reading comprehension problem much?

Only when people write meaningless sentences like the one above for example. I really feel sorry for you because even Alice can communicate better than you do. You really need to improve your social skills.
January 3, 2007 2:23:47 AM

njvsav maybe u havent had any problems with ur 8800 but many have problems with it so plz think twice and stop flaming him and fo this forum thx.
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2007 2:46:00 AM

Quote:
I believe the problem exists between the chair and the monitor.

:lol:  :lol:  classic.
January 3, 2007 2:58:34 AM

Is it not possible that the card is just plain faulty ?
January 3, 2007 3:15:08 AM

40 inch plasma sounds like a job for a gtx not a gts. you can keep thos big screens . just give me a good ole 19 inch. i believe splinter cell is real buggy right now. i understand being mad about spending 400 bucks then boom the game you just runs like crap. i had a gf 6600le wanna talk about a turd. i think it could be drivers but you never know it could be the card. do you have 30 days ? just return for another card where you got it. man all i want to play is oblivion ,dark messiah, and call of warez right now. i have not gamed in a month, withdraws a b*^#h, lol. :p 
January 3, 2007 3:20:31 AM

hey corpcleqq feel free to tell me to piss off but is that power supply enough for that setup ?

Was thinking of upgrading my system soon and was thinking id need a bigger PSU then 500w is all.
January 3, 2007 3:29:45 AM

yeah im going to have to upgrade. i was thinking of giving the card its own psu, 350 watt would that be a possibility until i get a better one. i read that people have multi psu s . i was thinking of getting a 650 watt. but im so broke its gonna be a month or two. x-mas reamed me. i didnt expect to get a computer or a geforce 8800 gts . i asked for it from my wife as a joke and she got them for me. i picked the card she did the pc before that. she kicks ass.sorry for getting off subject . :?
January 3, 2007 3:31:36 AM

damn though I could be a cheap arse.

Sorry for the off topic post's all.

thanks corpclegg
January 3, 2007 3:46:54 AM

my psu does have dual rail so maybe. the min req from evga says 400 watt psu. my 500 watt is more like a 475 watt but that might be enough. again sorry for getting off subject. and to all the ati fans out there. nvidia will always have one thing on ati , cooler colors lol
a b U Graphics card
January 3, 2007 3:50:52 AM

soylent,
Simple test: try your system with a regular monitor and other software to determine what does work together and what does not.
January 3, 2007 4:11:13 AM

How can you people say there are hundreds of different configurations that have to be checked before the hardware works?

There are STANDARDS, there are INTERFACES so that you dont have to do that. To make a peace of hardware work in an operating system doesnt take thousands of combinations of special cases. There is a software interface made up of a limited amount of functions or calls and you make your hardware work with that. It is fairly complicated but feasible. All the rest should be unimportant.

The problems arise when idiots start to bent or ignore these standards.
The buggy game is not a big thing (unless you happen to love it) but when stuff like that happens with hardware drivers - it gets serious and unexcusable.

Since the hardware is useless without the drivers, the drivers should be considered part of the purchased product.
Cars are complex too and you can add a lot of 3rd party hardware to them. Yet it would be unacceptable if, for instance, the gearbox locked itself on the highest gear as soon as you reach 150mph, wouldnt it?

Now most people dont drive that fast so the car would be good right?
Would you say the problem is between the seat and the wheel?
January 3, 2007 4:30:10 AM

You know it's sad. I would walk in and say something like, "I remember when people used to post their problems on a message board and they'd get met with concern and help", but I can't say that because it's never been true.

However, I sadly never thought to see the pattern here.

To the whole PEBCAK people, get over yourselves. If you want to make personal shots, a person could bring up how your choice of spending hours in front of a PC instead of spending hours at a gym is unproductive and due for humility, but other people have manners. Why don't you?

Oh, because a lot of "noobs" post about their problems that are user-related?

No, I don't think that's what's going on. I think what's going on is a few people that do nothing but read message boards see so many topics, they're the ones who have a problem between the chair and the monitor. I could post a topic saying my 7600GT is buggy, and you'd immediately assume I'm an idiot, regardless of whether you read the thread or not.

They have a term for people like that. The term is, "pretentious". This term is often combined with nouns that I think greatly describe some of the people in this thread.

Instead of bagging on the guy who has an honest problem, how about exercising a little maturity and proper vocabulary and treating his problem the way he faces it. The guy just shelled out $500 for a new video-card that he read about in a review as being "best of the best", and has gotten nothing but the "worst of the worst" problems since he got it.

You don't think he's privileged to exhaust frustration?

Seriously guys, grow the fuck up.
January 3, 2007 4:45:02 AM

Quote:
Actually moron...

We'll see about that soon. :twisted:

Quote:
...NO ONE likes to here anything GOOD about products...

Surely you mean "hear"?

Quote:
and sorry to burst you're all knowing bubble

It is "your", not "you're" which comes from "you are". Now who is moron? It's you obviously, for you can't spell.

Quote:
but I've had ZERO problems with my 8800. Count them again on your fingers if you need to, that was ZERO.

Yeah, like if I should trust your word when you can't even spell.

Quote:
Furthermore, go back a little further to 20 years ago.

Little further from the 20 years I was mentioning to the 20 years you are mentioning? There must be some great difference between 20 and 20 I wasn't aware of.

Quote:
Wanna see my IBM PC Jr sitting in the closet?

So you are a junk collector now? Make up your mind please. I thought you were doing something usefull with PCs, not just collecting them and keeping them in your closet.

Quote:
Most expensive paperweight around.

Yeah, just like your 8800 is going to be in 6 months or so.

Quote:
And you're misconceptions of '20 years ago' are hysterical

There you go again, moron.

Quote:
People paid hard earned money for IBM branded machines to avoid problems, and even then they still existed (see PC Jr. above).

So you admit you've been shafted? How can it be? Haven't you learned your own lesson?

Quote:
Now that you shot your mouth off about things you know nothing about, you've been educated.

Lucky me, I have been educated by an illiterate moron. Internet is cool.

Quote:
What he says is somewhat vaild and makes sense

Good, because there is still hope for you then. You are not in for a total denial.

Quote:
what you're saying is jibberish that means nothing.

Ah, at least you used "you're" properly once, I have to credit you for that tremendous mental effort.

Still, it should say "which means nothing" or better yet "meaningless gibberish" but I guess that's too hard to spell for a person with such a low IQ whose only resort in the absence of valid arguments is to start spewing out insults and personal attacks.

Quote:
Reading comprehension problem much?

Only when people write meaningless sentences like the one above for example. I really feel sorry for you because even Alice can communicate better than you do. You really need to improve your social skills.

You weren't even worth the time to bother proof reading my first response to you, period. You're arguement about how 'great' the PC industry was 20 years ago or any time in between is laughable, at best. Of course, SINCE YOU don't really have any type of valid arguement you decided to pick on spelling and grammar typos?

You read some article complaining about compiling programs and shot your mouth off about how 'great the pc industry used to be'. You don't know much about it, period, and that's obvious. I can only hope my instinct about you is right, and you're some poor confused 12 year old trying to show off. If you were actually ALIVE and old enough to read and write 20 years ago, you're even more clueless.

I'm gonna guess you don't even OWN an 8800 card, or can't afford one so joining in and trashing it anytime someone complains makes you feel better. Typical forum troll behavior.

My point about the 'bleeding edge' of new products is valid, and well known by anyone with half a brain and actually HAS EXPERIENCE with PCs. IT applies to just about ANY type of new technology from cars, to computers to TVs. At least with PC equipment new drivers, bios updates, etc CAN fix problems if they should arise.

You're point is compairing the 'golden age' of computers 20 years ago and how wonderful it was. It's NOT even valid, or TRUE, try another arguement son.

Or, maybe you can pick apart this post line by line and divert the attention away from the true stupidity at your end of the keyboard. I didn't proof read this one either....enjoy sad one.
January 3, 2007 4:48:49 AM

I think you, and I may just be spit-balling here, are just plain whacked-out about the past.

Where the hell have you been the past 20 years? I am 37 and have been messing around with pc's since before we called them "pc's", so I think I am qualified to say to you: STFU.

Face it, the hardware back then was a bitch to install! You seem to not remember having to set a million jumpers, editing config files, looking for IRQ conflicts, and even having to shuffle cards around to get them to work! Of course, that is understandable, since the most complex computer you used was a Commodore 64.

The games back then could be run on my wife's Dell Axim X5 (pocketPC)- nay, my TI-89 can run them!

Today's hardware and software is more complex than it ever has been. An average home system of today probably bests the total computing power of NASA back in the heyday of Apollo.

Your rose-colored-glasses view of the past is quaint. Maybe we should bring back vacuum tubes, the ISA interface, the Fonz, and segregation.

That last one I would love to see come back.
January 3, 2007 4:54:01 AM

Quote:
You weren't even worth the time to bother proof reading my first response to you, period. You're arguement about how 'great' the PC industry was 20 years ago or any time in between is laughable, at best. Of course, SINCE YOU don't really have any type of valid arguement you decided to pick on spelling and grammar typos?

You read some article complaining about compiling programs and shot your mouth off about how 'great the pc industry used to be'. You don't know much about it, period, and that's obvious. I can only hope my instinct about you is right, and you're some poor confused 12 year old trying to show off. If you were actually ALIVE and old enough to read and write 20 years ago, you're even more clueless.

I'm gonna guess you don't even OWN an 8800 card, or can't afford one so joining in and trashing it anytime someone complains makes you feel better. Typical forum troll behavior.

My point about the 'bleeding edge' of new products is valid, and well known by anyone with half a brain and actually HAS EXPERIENCE with PCs. IT applies to just about ANY type of new technology from cars, to computers to TVs. At least with PC equipment new drivers, bios updates, etc CAN fix problems if they should arise.

You're point is compairing the 'golden age' of computers 20 years ago and how wonderful it was. It's NOT even valid, or TRUE, try another arguement son.

Or, maybe you can pick apart this post line by line and divert the attention away from the true stupidity at your end of the keyboard. I didn't proof read this one either....enjoy sad one.

Firstly, he was right about you being a moron. You see this reply? I didn't have to proof read it and all the apostrophes and commas are in the right place. If you can't type normally without spelling at least 90% accurately, you either did horrible at typing or horrible at spelling, in either case resulting in you being less intelligent than a common high school graduate.

Secondly, it's more-so accurate that you're a blind Nvidia fan-boy jumping into every "8800 problems" thread blindly calling the TC an idiot and anyone posting about it a "poor person" who jumps on to bash 8800s.

If you want to make yourself credible, stop trying to defend a name brand on a forum whose sole purpose of existing is to remove the name brand from review and rate products based solely on their performance.

Get out of this thread, and off of our forum, because we don't want you here.

We care about benchmarks, not brands or loyalty.
January 3, 2007 5:05:31 AM

Quote:
Firstly, he was right about you being a moron. You see this reply? I didn't have to proof read it and all the apostrophes and commas are in the right place. If you can't type normally without spelling at least 90% accurately, you either did horrible at typing or horrible at spelling, in either case resulting in you being less intelligent than a common high school graduate.

Secondly, it's more-so accurate that you're a blind Nvidia fan-boy jumping into every "8800 problems" thread blindly calling the TC an idiot and anyone posting about it a "poor person" who jumps on to bash 8800s.

If you want to make yourself credible, stop trying to defend a name brand on a forum whose sole purpose of existing is to remove the name brand from review and rate products based solely on their performance.

Get out of this thread, and off of our forum, because we don't want you here.

We care about benchmarks, not brands or loyalty.

Nice try bud, except I'm no fanboy. I've owned ATI cards for the LONGEST time before buying this video card. I bought it because of benchmarks and features and Directx10.

I'm not defending Nvidia, but I'm also not joining in on some lame ass hate poll claiming that 'I got shafted' by Nvidia or XFX because the one SPECIFIC fault I found with a game on a 40" plasma doesn't work EXACTLY like I wanted it too. The entire generation GF8s are brand new, period. No one in their right mind should expect anything to be perfect yet after one driver revision on a brand new GPU.

Notice how I NEVER said he didn't have the problem? Alll I said was whining about it does nothing, and trashing the whole GF8 lineup saying 'he got shafted' is childish and immature. IF he really feels that way, he should return it for a refund and try again in a few months when the bugs are worked out of the drivers.

The way he posted this poll up, and the way he went about complaining about the whole thing INVITED people to rake on him. He wasn't asking for help, just attention and he got it. 'My new toy is broken and I want everyone to agree how I got ripped off' is the only thing I got from the OP. I'm gonna guess alot of others that picked on him did too, go back and re-read.

Or, you can continue with the insults if you don't have a valid point either.
January 3, 2007 5:57:10 AM

Quote:
hey corpcleqq feel free to tell me to piss off but is that power supply enough for that setup ?

Was thinking of upgrading my system soon and was thinking id need a bigger PSU then 500w is all.

I would not reccomend a rosewill. They are low quality PSUs and I recently had one die on me. Thankfully it didn't take anything with it.
January 3, 2007 7:03:14 AM

yeah thats what i here now. all the reviews on the egg were good thats why the wifey got it. she reads reviews on the sight shes ordering.
January 3, 2007 9:58:18 AM

First let me try to avoid all the BS and try to get this thread back on track. You are having display problems with the card, and a big 'monitor' correct?

Let me tell you my experience and hopefully you can apply it to yours..

7300GT with a Toshiba 32'' LCD.

First off, DVI to HDMI sucks balls on this monitor because I was having same problems as you. Nothing looked/acted/rendered right. Now, just cuz I was anxious to play with new rig before I delivered it, I used the regular VGA input on the back..BTW I built this as a X-mas present... Everything worked wonderfull and acted like a 17in LCD. I went to desktop, it auto adjusted to make borders tight, and during games quickly adjusted due to res change. Beautiful picture and simple fix. I don't need DVI or HDMI that bad...

Maybe if you have that input you can try that. It was the easiest and hopefully can be a painless fix for you to enjoy that new card...
January 3, 2007 10:33:43 AM

Quote:
Your rose-colored-glasses view of the past is quaint. Maybe we should bring back vacuum tubes, the ISA interface, the Fonz, and segregation.

I think there's a good case building for the Fonz
January 3, 2007 10:36:08 AM

Just return that card for defect and hopefully you'll get a good one that works. Say, how much are you selling that card again?
January 3, 2007 10:58:29 AM

soylentgreen183, don't be bothered by the others' remarks. None of these guys owes a geforce 8 series so ... they don't even know what they're talking about.
I owe a Leadtek 8800GTS and ... I'm quite disapointed.

I confirm that:
- NO, Splinter Cell Double Agent do not work properly on a GF8 serie for the moment. Ubisoft claims that it's a driver problem and Nvidia... do not react about the subject so lets suppose that they're working on it
- YES, Geforce 8 series' drivers are just bacled. Sometimes, you'll have to uninstall-reinstall the drivers because of very low FPS occuring. The problem have been reported by many 8800GTX users, I'm not sure about GTS' users.
- YES I understand you when you feel you've just waste 400 bucks (a lot of money, even if it seems that for those who answered you it's nothing) in something that is supposed to work and finally doesn't as well as told in magazines.
- YES, the card is extremely hot, even in idle. Users report 70°Celsius in idle, 85° in full charge. My GPU is ... 80° idle and 93° in full charge. And God, yes I have a CoolerMaster Mystique 631 full Aluminium case with 2 12cm fans, a Seasonic S12-500 PSU and only one hard drive in the case. For example, my CPU is 41°C in full charge, the motherboard is 35° so it's not so hot inside. It's just the Geforce that's burning.
- YES, the problems with wide screens, TV Out, fullscreen videos, are also MASSIVELY reported on nvidia forum and there is no Workaround... for the moment. All you have to do is to wait for better drivers, and better tech support.

You should also check that your PSU can support such a card, use Xtrem-G 97.44 drivers from www.tweakrus.com and go to Nvidia forum to see if anyone can help you better.

Hope that help and sorry for the english.
January 3, 2007 11:26:28 AM

i think for a 42 inch screen the GTX is the way to go. we also need ur system specs.

Nvidia Driver release is slated for the end of january or when vista comes out (to me this sounds like nvidia knows there is a problem and they r trying desperatly to fix it befor vista comes out)

if ur realy looking to play this game, we need some feedback so we can solve ur problem

what resolution do u run ur 42 inch screen at?

P.S. Can we have the Flame war moved elsewhere as its not helping this guy out
January 3, 2007 11:41:11 AM

Quote:
40 inch plasma sounds like a job for a gtx not a gts. you can keep thos big screens . just give me a good ole 19 inch.

What makes you say that. 19" TFT's will do a higher res than a plasma screen. The vid card doesnt go "OMG THE SCREEN IS 40INCHES I BETTER CHUG".

As for OP. What do you expect? You basically bought prototype hardware. It's highly expensive with no cheap option so that masses can't be involved in helping fix any problems.
January 3, 2007 11:47:42 AM

You guys do understand that 720p is 1280x720 which is lower than the native res of a 17" LCD. The 8800 GTS is more than capable of that and the GTX would be no faster in today's games at that res.

His rant is about a driver issue which they should work out. It's still an unproductive rant which he should turn into real action by replacing the card or something. I don't get the feeling that he's seeking a solution from this forum, perhaps some form of petty...
!