defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
I just ordered new computer parts and i got a new hard drive with it all. I want to use the one i have now and the new one in combination but i want to keep everything i have on the one that i use now. How can i use all of the data that my old one(one im using now) along with windows xp on it with my new stuff.Are there any guides online for it or links that anyone can help me out with.Thanks.

sturm

Splendid
What kind of new parts are you getting? Whole new computer or what?
If your getting a new motherboard then your best bet is to reinstall windows on the new drive and then copy stuff over from the old drive once windows is installed.

If your not installing a new motherboard then you need to go to the hd makers website and download their tools. They should have one that will copy the old drive over to the new one.

defender0802

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2006
Well the problem i have is that i dont have a copy of the actual boot disk for windows xp.The only one my computer manufacturer gave me was the recovery disk and i just spent all my money on my new motherboard ,graphics card, processor, hard drive, ram and psu.I want to keep my windows.if i delete it im going to have to get a new copy.

sturm

Splendid
Going by Microsofts license you can not use the oem copy from your origional computer on your new one. Doesnt mean its not possible, but youd be using it illegally.
Your best to get a new copy of xp or vista if you choose.