Win2k Format

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

Hi All
I am selling my old PC which has win2k pro on it. I would like to format the
hard drive as new owner would prefer to install another operating system,
plus I don't want the new owner to be able to access my old documents, is
running FDISK and doing a normal format sufficient?
Cheers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 10:39:57 +0000 (UTC), "george"
<nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:

>I am selling my old PC which has win2k pro on it. I would like to format the
>hard drive as new owner would prefer to install another operating system,
>plus I don't want the new owner to be able to access my old documents, is
>running FDISK and doing a normal format sufficient?

Usually. But if you're paranoid, Google for drive wipe programs that
support DOD wiping. I've useed BCWipe in the past for this:

http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/bcwipe.htm

Also 12 Ghosts Shredder, though it has a fee:

http://www.12Ghosts.com

Jeff

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.win2000.security (More info?)

"george" <nospam@btinternet.com> wrote in

> Hi All
> I am selling my old PC which has win2k pro on it. I would like to
> format the hard drive as new owner would prefer to install another
> operating system, plus I don't want the new owner to be able to access
> my old documents, is running FDISK and doing a normal format
> sufficient? Cheers

I think you have to use a special program to do this, as there are many
ways to salvage old data from a formatted disk.
Formatting is only freeing up the disk space, not overwriting all sectors.
Even FDisking is not sufficient.

These annihilator progs overwrite all positions of the HDD with zeros, I
seem to remember.