Backing up emails across network

I need to back-up several email accounts from local machines to a server on
the network. When I try to change the location of the email folder via the
options/maintenance properties the program is restricting me from changing
the location. Anyone know of a registry hack or something to force the store
folder to be located on the server?

Much appreciated in advance.

Oh yea, I'm speaking of both OE and MS Outlook.

In news:02A5AD0F-A6DB-42FF-A3AE-C71C88BB67A5@microsoft.com,
dtremain <dtremain@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Oh yea, I'm speaking of both OE and MS Outlook.
>
> "dtremain" wrote:
>
>> I need to back-up several email accounts from local machines to a
>> server on the network. When I try to change the location of the
>> email folder via the options/maintenance properties the program is
>> restricting me from changing the location. Anyone know of a
>> registry hack or something to force the store folder to be located
>> on the server?
>>
>> Much appreciated in advance.

Hi - this isn't the best group for your question. Outlook and OE each have
their own groups (and don't confuse the two; they're entirely different
programs).

Re OE: You cannot redirect your store folder to a non-local drive, so
forgetaboutit
Re Outlook: You *can* move your PST file to a network drive and access it
across the network, but you *shouldn't*. It is not an MS supported
configuration; it can lead to performance problems (most assuredly) and data
corruption (less assuredly, but trust me, I have seen this happen many
times). See http://support.microsoft.com/?id=297019 ("Personal folder files
are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link")

dl

If you wish to store the local pst's on a server, this isnt supported by MS
as it can lead to corruption

"dtremain" <dtremain@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Oh yea, I'm speaking of both OE and MS Outlook.
>
> "dtremain" wrote:
>
> > I need to back-up several email accounts from local machines to a server
on
> > the network. When I try to change the location of the email folder via
the
> > options/maintenance properties the program is restricting me from
changing
> > the location. Anyone know of a registry hack or something to force the
store
> > folder to be located on the server?
> >
> > Much appreciated in advance.

Between all of the users of the network both apps are used. Thanks for the
info.

In news:796ECA00-76D6-4630-BA5F-517627493C49@microsoft.com,
dtremain <dtremain@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> Between all of the users of the network both apps are used. Thanks
> for the info.

You're welcome. I recommend you standardize on one or the other. Makes
support easier.