terrmaster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
i was wondering if this new build im doing is worth it

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Shopping/buylatercart.asp

when the asus 680i mobo is in stock ill get that one instead of the evga also ill be using it for gaming video encoding music etc this is my 1st build and i want to make it last for 5 yrs or more also in the list ill be getting the logitech z5500 and a creative x-fi sound card but right now i think its a good build and will last for a while it would help if a few people give me your opinions about this build oh and i already have my case its a APEVIA X-Navigator Metal Case-Black/Silver please give me some insight on this thx

Ls3D

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2006
The link does not point to your saved cart, at least not for me in FireFox. I think this requires a login or deeper address. Note the word secure in your link.

5 years may be a bit long, not impossible but you will likely want newer technology before then - also clean the system often.

Quad core is tempting for me too, but as of now I'm waiting a least 3 months for prices to fall and newer technologies and BIOS revs.

Good Luck!

-S

terrmaster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
sorry about that heres the list

APEVIA X-Navigator Metal Case-Black/Silver
ASUS NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
eVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS
Logitech Z-5500 505 Watts 5.1 Speaker
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150
SeaSonic M12 SS-700HM ATX12V/ EPS12V 700W Power Supply
SCEPTRE x22wg-Gamer Black 22" 5ms DVI Widescreen HDMI LCD Monitor
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz
Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS 7.1 Channels
SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Beige IDE Model ND-3550A
Logitech MX Revolution 931689-0403 Black 7 Buttons 2x Wheels USB RF Wireless Laser Mouse

thats the list as for the mouse sound card and hd i already have one my old pc fried and i can use thoses from it so if anyone can give an opinion to see if im making the right choice

terrmaster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
can anyone help me out at least and see if im making the right choice for my new build all i see are people viewing i understand if you dont know jsut making sure all my part will connect right and if its a solid build for 4+ yrs

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
-Faster speed
-More Memory Bandwidth
-Similar Cost
-Similar latency Timing

*To sum it all up You'll just have a faster DDR2 for future applications. with More Memory Bandwidth to Compliment your very lustrous 8800 DX10 Card

Nothing really to loose only spending about a few more dollars. And you'd have a DDR2 equivalent Mid-range DDR3 if clocked to 1066Mhz

levicki

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2006
If you insist on modular PSU I would rather get Corsair HX-620W which is actually Seasonic OEM without that annoying 60mm fan. It has enough power for that build unless you are planning SLI. If you want SLI then S12 Energy Plus 650W is on a certified list but unfortunately it is not modular. In case you wonder why I am avoiding M12 700W because of that secondary 60mm fan. If you stick two times 8800GTS and a Quad Core in a case I am pretty sure it will spin and make noise all the time.

Faster RAM than 800MHz IMO doesn't make sense because

a) FSB is the bottleneck, not the RAM
b) It needs more voltage, many boards have problems booting with it
c) More voltage leads to even more heat in the case

If you are going to O/C then it will probably be just the CPU anyway.

Maximum I could recommend for RAM is to get DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 and I would rather get 4GB of that instead of 2GB of DDR2-1000. That of course means you would have to run x64 OS but that is the future anyway, you want it, no?

terrmaster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
sounds mix and match so i ahve to think about what to get i may go sli in the future but right now just 1 video card also can you give my link to what would work best with my setup and thx for the info

Reagan

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Nice system.

It looks like you're more into making a gaming rig. However, you may want to check out the following article on AnandTech...

"Quad Core Intel Xeon 53xx Clovertown"
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2897

You can build a serious 3D render server using dual E5345's on a Tyan S5383WG4NR. The mobo can only build out to 64 GB of DDR2-667 :cool:

The really nice thing about this mobo though is the integrated SAS controller, so you can put a native 15k rpm SAS drive in for low latency disk access [not that you'd need it so much if you build out your memory 8]

I like Seasonic PSU's. You might also check out PC Power & Cooling PSU's. They don't care for "modular" wiring schemes and they explain their reasoning, which may help your decision-making.

--M

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I have until August to make up my mind... I can afford to have three or four PC's, but I can't afford the space, and with one baseboard circuit of 20 A @ 220 VAC.... So I'll patiently wait, and leave you (and others) to the anxiety bits... 8)

s-d

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150

of what you wrote the only thing i have a serious problem with is this

raid 5 and 3 of those with additionally at least one external hd for back ups

after you suffer the loss of your data just one time you will look into just how often hd's fail and will be dumbfounded at ever doing anything ridiculous like depending on just one un-mirrored

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Raid 5 is actually a good compromise between raid 1 and raid 0. HD's do fail, but in my experience if they last past 90 days, and are not mistreated, they're good for a while. At least with raid 5 the OP can lose a drive, replace it and patiently wait for the raid to rebuild. His backup strategy, with an external drive, isn't a really bad option either. He's not running a 24 /7 database, for (whomever's) sake!

Now, if he lost his MB, say after two years, and the replacement had a different controller... That's an issue. And one that needs to be thought about.

OP... Don't forget to enable 'smart' in your bios, if that's an option. An after thought...

sleepy127

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Just throwing out another psu to look into;
I just picked up a Silverstone 750 watt Zeus and it seems to be a fairly good psu, especially for the price.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I bought my system in September 2002, and I have no hope of being able to run new release games; the best that I was able to get was around 20fps in FEAR on 1024x768 with medium settings and no filtering, and that was after a lot of Windows tweaks.

In all honesty I woud wait until quad-core CPU's mature; Intel's QX6700 has a massive 130W TDP, which means the cooler is loud as hell and overclocking is basically non-existent without some serious cooling gear, not to mention that the Core 2 Extreme is actually faster in single threaded apps.

You would probably want to get more RAM although with the "USB RAM" (forgot it's proper name) feature in Vista that may not be a problem. Will definitely be slower than proper RAM though.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Nice system.

It looks like you're more into making a gaming rig. However, you may want to check out the following article on AnandTech...

"Quad Core Intel Xeon 53xx Clovertown"
http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2897

You can build a serious 3D render server using dual E5345's on a Tyan S5383WG4NR. The mobo can only build out to 64 GB of DDR2-667 :cool:

The really nice thing about this mobo though is the integrated SAS controller, so you can put a native 15k rpm SAS drive in for low latency disk access [not that you'd need it so much if you build out your memory 8]

I like Seasonic PSU's. You might also check out PC Power & Cooling PSU's. They don't care for "modular" wiring schemes and they explain their reasoning, which may help your decision-making.

--M
Talk about outta the left field. :lol:

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
I have the Logitech Z-5500 attached to an X-Fi XtremeMusic and I can tell you right away... it's great. 8)

This combination is so good that, for starters, if you listen to a recorded conversation you could swear that the conversation is taking place in the real world, and not being reproduced. All other familiar sounds also sound like the real thing... it's really very impressive...

The only downside: if you ever, ever get to hear any other computer sound system you'll be majorly disappointed. Actually, you might be disappointed at quite a few TV sets and even home theaters as well...

Z-5500 = devil's work :twisted:

terrmaster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
i can burn 2 dvds etc at once which will cut my burn time in half goes for muisc aswell and also i can encode 2 types of movies and burn them at the sametime so i dont have to wait for the 1st one to get done :D

terrmaster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
so how do i make a balanced rig for gaming video encoding and editing etc tryin to make this last for a while since quad core is expensive

terrmaster

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
yea heard the z-5500 is awesome 1010 watt at peak but places i checked are sold out must really be a good set of 5.1 speakers

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
so how do i make a balanced rig for gaming video encoding and editing etc tryin to make this last for a while since quad core is expensive

Looking towards using [NV]-RAID-5 and getting more than 150 GB of storage would be a good start.

Video is a streaming media by nature regardless of CODEC (or uncompressed frames), so a 10,000 rpm HDD is a waste, you need throughput not I/O.
(I/O being fast seek times).
I'd also ensure you can upgrade to 8 GB RAM down the track, via 4 x 2 GB DIMMs if need be. So look to get 2 x 2 GB DIMMs now, but make sure they are ones that will be available on the market still in 1-2 years time.

Consider partitioning to run Win.32 (Windows XP Pro) and Win.x64 (Windows XP Pro x64 Edition), and at least one other OS (eg: Linux.x64 or Vista.x64).

You'll also need the software.

:?: What resolution is that monitor anyway ? - 1920 x 1200 makes video editing heaps nicer than 1680 x 1050 and 1440 x 900 should be avoided at all costs. IMHO it is is less than 1024 pixels 'tall' it isn't a monitor.