Sharing a Folder Across The Network

This use to work and now does not. It has me rattled. Here is the
configuration:
Network:
Computer 1: Windows 2000 (all updates)
Computer 2 & 3: Windows XP Professional (all updates)
Computer 2 & 3 are identical (different computer name of course).

I want computer 1 to see and access computer 2 & 3's desktop. Therefore;
the desktop on computer 2 & 3 are set to share. Other data folder are set
to share too.
Everything works with computer 2 just fine.
However, I can't get access to the desktop of computer 3. I can get access
to the data folder of computer 3 but something is stopping me from accessing
the desktop.

From computer 1, I can see the data folder of computer 3 and I can get to
all the files.
From computer 1, I can't get to the desktop folder.

I've tried to take the desktop share off, reboot, add the share back,
reboot..... same issue.
I've tried to turn the windows firewall off .... same issue.
What is causing this problem?

This use to work! It allows me to send files to the desktop of my daughters
computer, as I do to my son's computer.

Thanks in advance!
5 answers Last reply
More about sharing folder network

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:59:48 GMT, " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >This use to work and now does not. It has me rattled. Here is the
    >configuration:
    >Network:
    >Computer 1: Windows 2000 (all updates)
    >Computer 2 & 3: Windows XP Professional (all updates)
    > Computer 2 & 3 are identical (different computer name of course).
    >
    >I want computer 1 to see and access computer 2 & 3's desktop. Therefore;
    >the desktop on computer 2 & 3 are set to share. Other data folder are set
    >to share too.
    >Everything works with computer 2 just fine.
    >However, I can't get access to the desktop of computer 3. I can get access
    >to the data folder of computer 3 but something is stopping me from accessing
    >the desktop.
    >
    >From computer 1, I can see the data folder of computer 3 and I can get to
    >all the files.
    >From computer 1, I can't get to the desktop folder.
    >
    >I've tried to take the desktop share off, reboot, add the share back,
    >reboot..... same issue.
    >I've tried to turn the windows firewall off .... same issue.
    >What is causing this problem?
    >
    >This use to work! It allows me to send files to the desktop of my daughters
    >computer, as I do to my son's computer.
    >
    >Thanks in advance!

    Please provide some detail "I can't get to the desktop folder"? What exact
    error / condition do you observe?

    Are Computer 2 and 3 running Simple, or Advanced File Sharing?

    Provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" for all 3 computers.

    Cheers,
    Chuck
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

    The error message, from my computer (W2K) just says that I don't have
    permissions.. see
    administrator. This is when I go to the Network and drill down to that
    correct computer name. It acts as if the Desktop is not shared (but it is
    shared across the network)

    My computer is W2K and the two computers below are on my network.
    Path to computer 1 is:\\Nicholas\Nick's Desktop
    Path to computer 2 is:\\Natalie\Natalie's Desktop

    It is the path to computer 2 that is not showing up, when viewing, from my
    computer (w2k). Only her computer name shows up. However computer 2 does
    have some other folders that are shared and I can access them okay. Just
    the Desktop will not share.

    Hopefully I made this clearer than my first attempt
    Thanks

    "Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:59:48 GMT, " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >This use to work and now does not. It has me rattled. Here is the
    > >configuration:
    > >Network:
    > >Computer 1: Windows 2000 (all updates)
    > >Computer 2 & 3: Windows XP Professional (all updates)
    > > Computer 2 & 3 are identical (different computer name of course).
    > >
    > >I want computer 1 to see and access computer 2 & 3's desktop. Therefore;
    > >the desktop on computer 2 & 3 are set to share. Other data folder are
    set
    > >to share too.
    > >Everything works with computer 2 just fine.
    > >However, I can't get access to the desktop of computer 3. I can get
    access
    > >to the data folder of computer 3 but something is stopping me from
    accessing
    > >the desktop.
    > >
    > >From computer 1, I can see the data folder of computer 3 and I can get to
    > >all the files.
    > >From computer 1, I can't get to the desktop folder.
    > >
    > >I've tried to take the desktop share off, reboot, add the share back,
    > >reboot..... same issue.
    > >I've tried to turn the windows firewall off .... same issue.
    > >What is causing this problem?
    > >
    > >This use to work! It allows me to send files to the desktop of my
    daughters
    > >computer, as I do to my son's computer.
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance!
    >
    > Please provide some detail "I can't get to the desktop folder"? What
    exact
    > error / condition do you observe?
    >
    > Are Computer 2 and 3 running Simple, or Advanced File Sharing?
    >
    > Provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" for all 3 computers.

    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.
    html#AskingForHelp>

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:55:14 GMT, " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 17:59:48 GMT, " JCO" <joliviero4@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >This use to work and now does not. It has me rattled. Here is the
    >> >configuration:
    >> >Network:
    >> >Computer 1: Windows 2000 (all updates)
    >> >Computer 2 & 3: Windows XP Professional (all updates)
    >> > Computer 2 & 3 are identical (different computer name of course).
    >> >
    >> >I want computer 1 to see and access computer 2 & 3's desktop. Therefore;
    >> >the desktop on computer 2 & 3 are set to share. Other data folder are
    >set
    >> >to share too.
    >> >Everything works with computer 2 just fine.
    >> >However, I can't get access to the desktop of computer 3. I can get
    >access
    >> >to the data folder of computer 3 but something is stopping me from
    >accessing
    >> >the desktop.
    >> >
    >> >From computer 1, I can see the data folder of computer 3 and I can get to
    >> >all the files.
    >> >From computer 1, I can't get to the desktop folder.
    >> >
    >> >I've tried to take the desktop share off, reboot, add the share back,
    >> >reboot..... same issue.
    >> >I've tried to turn the windows firewall off .... same issue.
    >> >What is causing this problem?
    >> >
    >> >This use to work! It allows me to send files to the desktop of my
    >daughters
    >> >computer, as I do to my son's computer.
    >> >
    >> >Thanks in advance!
    >>
    >> Please provide some detail "I can't get to the desktop folder"? What
    >exact
    >> error / condition do you observe?
    >>
    >> Are Computer 2 and 3 running Simple, or Advanced File Sharing?
    >>
    >> Provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" for all 3 computers.
    >>
    ><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.
    >html#AskingForHelp>

    >The error message, from my computer (W2K) just says that I don't have
    >permissions.. see
    >administrator. This is when I go to the Network and drill down to that
    >correct computer name. It acts as if the Desktop is not shared (but it is
    >shared across the network)
    >
    >My computer is W2K and the two computers below are on my network.
    >Path to computer 1 is:\\Nicholas\Nick's Desktop
    >Path to computer 2 is:\\Natalie\Natalie's Desktop
    >
    >It is the path to computer 2 that is not showing up, when viewing, from my
    >computer (w2k). Only her computer name shows up. However computer 2 does
    >have some other folders that are shared and I can access them okay. Just
    >the Desktop will not share.
    >
    >Hopefully I made this clearer than my first attempt
    >Thanks

    Well, not knowing a lot about the shares you mention, I can't offer too much of
    a diagnosis. And the "no permissions...see administrator" message has so many
    causes. So I'll try again:
    # Are Computer 2 and 3 running Simple, or Advanced File Sharing?
    # Provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" for all 3 computers. See this
    article for instructions:
    # Check how file sharing is setup. See these articles:
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html>
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

    What is "browstat status" is?
    Never heard of it. I understand ipconfig and did that already.

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 19:42:34 GMT, " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 04:55:14 GMT, " JCO" <joliviero@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message

    >Therefore;
    >> >set
    >> >access
    >> >accessing

    >> >daughters

    >> >exact

    >><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood
    >.
    >> >html#AskingForHelp>
    >>
    >> >The error message, from my computer (W2K) just says that I don't have
    >> >permissions.. see
    >> >administrator. This is when I go to the Network and drill down to that
    >> >correct computer name. It acts as if the Desktop is not shared (but it
    >is
    >> >shared across the network)
    >> >
    >> >My computer is W2K and the two computers below are on my network.
    >> >Path to computer 1 is:\\Nicholas\Nick's Desktop
    >> >Path to computer 2 is:\\Natalie\Natalie's Desktop
    >> >
    >> >It is the path to computer 2 that is not showing up, when viewing, from
    >my
    >> >computer (w2k). Only her computer name shows up. However computer 2
    >does
    >> >have some other folders that are shared and I can access them okay. Just
    >> >the Desktop will not share.
    >> >
    >> >Hopefully I made this clearer than my first attempt
    >> >Thanks
    >>
    >> Well, not knowing a lot about the shares you mention, I can't offer too
    >much of
    >> a diagnosis. And the "no permissions...see administrator" message has so
    >many
    >> causes. So I'll try again:
    >> # Are Computer 2 and 3 running Simple, or Advanced File Sharing?
    >> # Provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" for all 3 computers. See
    >this
    >> article for instructions:
    >>
    ><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.
    >html#AskingForHelp>
    >> # Check how file sharing is setup. See these articles:
    >>
    ><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.
    >html>
    >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>

    >What is "browstat status" is?
    >Never heard of it. I understand ipconfig and did that already.

    Read article (link below) for instructions running "browstat status" and
    "ipconfig /all". Where is "ipconfig /all" from all 3 computers? From 1
    computer?

    I'll ask again, for your benefit:

    # Are Computer 2 and 3 running Simple, or Advanced File Sharing?
    # Provide "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all" for all 3 computers. See this
    article for instructions:
    # Check how file sharing is setup. See these articles:
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html>
    <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html>

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
    Paranoia is not a problem - it's a normal response from experience.
    My email is AT DOT
    actual address pchuck sonic net.

Desktops Computers Windows