Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pocket PC builtin serial ports

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:13:42 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Does anyone have any links to info on what currently available Pocket PC's
do or don't have builtin serial ports. Manufacturer specs frequently don't
mention a serial port and I don't know if this means there isn't one or if
someone just forgot to put it in the spec.

Cheers

Doug Forster
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:13:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

For the most part many dont have physical serial ports, but
have cables that can be purchased that include serial
ports, keep in mind a USB is a universal serial port, so in
theory if it can have a usb port there are ways to make it
a plain vanilla serial port, but usually there is just a
cable that plugs in or a cradle available that includes a
serial port option. A serial port will be slower then usb.
>-----Original Message-----
>Does anyone have any links to info on what currently
available Pocket PC's
>do or don't have builtin serial ports. Manufacturer specs
frequently don't
>mention a serial port and I don't know if this means there
isn't one or if
>someone just forgot to put it in the spec.
>
>Cheers
>
>Doug Forster
>
>
>.
>
Anonymous
March 31, 2005 5:13:44 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

If the mfg doesn't specifically state that a serial port is an i/o
option, you have to assume that it doesn't exist.

In rare cases, some devices (such as the Samsung i700) have serial ports
but no native driver so they cannot be accessed by cable alone.

A tiny handful of ppc's (i.e. Toshiba) have usb "host" capabilities and
can use a usb/serial adapter to communicate with a serial device.

Serial cables are _always_ optional purchases and some devices require
that addtional electronics be included in those cables for them to
function as standard rs-232 connections.

"Serial Sync" cables and cradles are "null modem" connections.

See http://BevHoward.com/serial.htm for more general info.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Related resources
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:55:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi Beverly,

Thanks for your response. Your site is most interesting. Perhaps I should
clarify what I am trying to achieve. I am a software developer working
specifically with interfacing GPS's (Garmin at the moment) to Pocket PC's.
I was hoping there might be some easy way of making recommendations to my
potential customers as to what Pocket PC models to look for. Perpetually
trawling through manufacturer specifications is a bit of a pain.

> If the mfg doesn't specifically state that a serial port is an i/o option,
> you have to assume that it doesn't exist.

Yes of course that will be the default assumption, but I was hoping to get
some responses from folks that actually have devices that they have tried.
For instance it seems from HP specs that the only model out of their latest
crop of Pocket PC's with a serial port is the 4700. Is this really the case?
If so then we have a major technology divergence between GPS's and Pocket
PC's that should be of concern to many folks.

Cheers

Doug Forster
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:55:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Serial port capability doesn't seem to be high on the list of things OEMs
list, since the presumption is likely that only those relgated to NT care.
A good indication of what has a serial port, at least in HP's case is what
is indicated as a supported device for the
USB/Serial Autosync Cable for iPAQs (FA122A#AC3), This includes
"Compatibility: iPAQ 1700, 1900, hx2000, 2200, 3000, 3800, 3900, 4100, 4300,
4700, 5400 and 5500 series", implying at least that all these have serial
capabilities.

In reallity though, for GPS applications, BT serial profiles are the way to
go, IMHO, for those devices thagt have Built-in BT.

"Doug Forster" <doug_ZAPTHIS_AT_ZAPTHIS_TONIQ_DOT_CO_DOT_NZ> wrote in
message news:eJ9awPjNFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Yes of course that will be the default assumption, but I was hoping to get
> some responses from folks that actually have devices that they have tried.
> For instance it seems from HP specs that the only model out of their
latest
> crop of Pocket PC's with a serial port is the 4700. Is this really the
case?
> If so then we have a major technology divergence between GPS's and Pocket
> PC's that should be of concern to many folks.
>
> Cheers
>
> Doug Forster
>
>
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:55:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Doug Forster"
> . For
> instance it seems from HP specs that the only model out of their latest
> crop of Pocket PC's with a serial port is the 4700. Is this really the
> case? If so then we have a major technology divergence between GPS's and
> Pocket PC's that should be of concern to many folks.

FWIE the hp rx3115, a newer model, definitely has an active serial port - I
use it with a rhino gps often.
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 12:55:27 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Based on your posted intent, may I suggest that you provide strong
support for extended "com port number" support to assure that your
software is fully bluetooth compatible?

GPS appears to be moving quickly toward blutooth connection capabilities
in general and with a high percentage of new ppc's offering bluetooth
capabilities, that completely bypasses the wired connection
requirements. Over the past year there have been a number of user posts
seeking help getting bluetooth connections working with their gps software.

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 9:08:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Aha, this is the sort of info I would like to hear. Thanks for that. The
specs on the website don't seem to mention a serial port but as I suspected,
some may have one anyway.

"xTenn" <xtennremovethispart@tds.net> wrote in message
news:1112348247@xtennremovethispart.tds.net...
> Reply to message from "Doug Forster"
> > . For
> > instance it seems from HP specs that the only model out of their latest
> > crop of Pocket PC's with a serial port is the 4700. Is this really the
> > case? If so then we have a major technology divergence between GPS's and
> > Pocket PC's that should be of concern to many folks.
>
> FWIE the hp rx3115, a newer model, definitely has an active serial port -
> I
> use it with a rhino gps often.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:35:11 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Hi Beverly,

Well bluetooth would be the way to go. Unfortunately Garmin don't seem to
have that message yet. I've not programmed bluetooth at all. Is it just
allowing a greater range of port numbers and connection speeds ? If that all
then I've already done that.

Cheers

Doug Forster

"Beverly Howard [Ms-MVP/MobileDev]" <BevNoSpamBevHoward.com> wrote in
message news:%23na8YrsNFHA.3492@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Based on your posted intent, may I suggest that you provide strong support
> for extended "com port number" support to assure that your software is
> fully bluetooth compatible?
>
> GPS appears to be moving quickly toward blutooth connection capabilities
> in general and with a high percentage of new ppc's offering bluetooth
> capabilities, that completely bypasses the wired connection requirements.
> Over the past year there have been a number of user posts seeking help
> getting bluetooth connections working with their gps software.
>
> Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:23:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

From my experience, almost all Pocket PC have a built in COM port
(COM1) however they may not come with a serial sync cable. In most
cases you can purchase a serial sync cable for almost all Pocekt PC
models. Even if they do not explicitly state that they have a COM
port, they most likely do have one.
One important thing to remember is that the serial sync cable is wired
for connection to a desktop PC and so is your GPS. This means that you
will also need a null modem adapter and a gender changer in the line
in order to connect the GPS to a serial sync cable for your Pocket PC.

Regarding Bluetooth, part of the specification for Bluetooth is
something called "Bluetooth Serial" which means that when a Bluetooth
Serial device comes within range of a Pocket PC that supports
Bluetooth, the operating system should create a "virtual serial port"
(usually either COM5 or COM8) that is really a connection to the
Bluetooth device. This means that you use normal serial communications
software to talk with Bluetooth serial devices just the same way as if
the device were connected to a physical serial port.
You can also get Bluetooth adapters for any RS232 device including
your GPS so if your Pocket PC supports Bluetooth but your GPS only has
RS232, you should be able to get a Bluetooth Adapter that will allow
the GPS to talk to the Pocket PC. You would still use serial
communications software on the Pocket PC to talk with the GPS- you
would just need to enable the Bluetooth drivers on the Pocket PC and
then open the correct COM port that is created by the Bluetooth
drivers.

For more serial I/O info, free software and utilities, please visit:
www.taltech.com


On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 13:13:42 +1200, "Doug Forster"
<doug_ZAPTHIS_AT_ZAPTHIS_TONIQ_DOT_CO_DOT_NZ> wrote:

>Does anyone have any links to info on what currently available Pocket PC's
>do or don't have builtin serial ports. Manufacturer specs frequently don't
>mention a serial port and I don't know if this means there isn't one or if
>someone just forgot to put it in the spec.
>
>Cheers
>
>Doug Forster
>
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:23:53 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

>> almost all Pocket PC have a built in COM port... <<

That's changing rapidly, and, while all of the ppcs came with serial
options when the ppc was first released, an increasing number on the
market today do not have serial ports including some of the old
standards such as a few of the ipaq models.

Probably the best way to answer the question for a specific model where
serial is not in the device specs is to look for a serial cable specific
to that model on the mfg's site.

Even if the device does have a serial port, if the specific cable is not
vended, the port is mut(e) ;-)

Beverly Howard [MS MVP-Mobile Devices]
!