Comp wont boot after installing heatsink

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I was installing a new heatsink (volcano 12). Installed it the first time, everything went fine. I felt it would do better if i put some artic silver. So i put on the artic silver and put the heatsink back on and ran it. My temps were reading pretty abnormal .. 70-80C as compared to 30-50 on my first run. I thought it was probably because i had the heatsink backwards or clip was unclipped. So i flipped it and ran it a third time. Now my comp wont boot fully. It powers up and the orange busy signal is flashing nonstop. All my fans work. My cd roms work. My monitor/keyboard/mouse isnt responding. Now my comp is just stuck with a orange busy signal

I was installing a new heatsink (volcano 12). Installed it the first time, everything went fine. I felt it would do better if i put some artic silver. So i put on the artic silver and put the heatsink back on and ran it. My temps were reading pretty abnormal .. 70-80C as compared to 30-50 on my first run. I thought it was probably because i had the heatsink backwards or clip was unclipped. So i flipped it and ran it a third time. Now my comp wont boot fully. It powers up and the orange busy signal is flashing nonstop. All my fans work. My cd roms work. My monitor/keyboard/mouse isnt responding. Now my comp is just stuck with a orange busy signal

i take it this is an AMD system (socket 462/a) - you may have just fried the cpu or crushed it not installing the hsf correctly :oops:

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
whhat exactly did i burn/damage? The square looking platform where the heatsink is placed on? I Do remember using lot of force gettin the hsf on it.. that thing was kinda hard to install. Heard some crushing noises too. I guess ill have to buy another one... what exactly is the term/name of what i need to buy? Imma get it off online.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Sounds like you damaged the cpu. To be sure, remove the heat sink and cpu and reseat them both. If it still doesn't work, you'll need to replace that processor.

i take it this is an AMD system (socket 462/a) - you may have just fried the cpu or crushed it not installing the hsf correctly :oops:

All the Socket A's I ever used did not have heatspreaders like all AMD's procs after that. The processor core is exposed and some of the other "things" are exposed as well.

I once had issues with a Socket A processor due to getting thermal compound on areas other than the processing core. I accidentally made electrical connections that weren't supposed to be made. Make sure the thermal paste doesn't go anywhere except the core.

I've highlighted the trouble areas that I've seen before, make sure they're clear.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007

All the Socket A's I ever used did not have heatspreaders like all AMD's procs after that. The processor core is exposed and some of the other "things" are exposed as well.

I once had issues with a Socket A processor due to getting thermal compound on areas other than the processing core. I accidentally made electrical connections that weren't supposed to be made. Make sure the thermal paste doesn't go anywhere except the core.

I've highlighted the trouble areas that I've seen before, make sure they're clear.

Hmm all the compound is on the core.... could i have damaged the motherboard by pushing the heatsink down too hard or by stabbing it? I missed the clip and stabbed my motherboard a couple of times..

tool_462

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
If you heard crushing sounds that probably means you crushed your CPU. May be a good excuse to upgrade :) Yes, you can damage your mobo by "stabbing" it and you possibly could have done so.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Yes i think it's because i crushed it. The multiple stabbings happened on the first 2 times trying to install it. This thing was so troublesome to install... the third time i tried to install it it went easy and fast but i think the third time IS when i heard a cruching noise.

I guess ill have to buy a new cpu processor?... where could i buy one for socket 462? I looked in ebay,newegg and other places and every socket 462 it displayed, was worse than my current one (amd athlonXP 3000+ 2.16 GHz). Maybe 462 socket is old and my current cpu processor is one of the best sockets for 462?

pat

Expert
Yes i think it's because i crushed it. The multiple stabbings happened on the first 2 times trying to install it. This thing was so troublesome to install... the third time i tried to install it it went easy and fast but i think the third time IS when i heard a cruching noise.

I guess ill have to buy a new cpu processor?... where could i buy one for socket 462? I looked in ebay,newegg and other places and every socket 462 it displayed, was worse than my current one (amd athlonXP 3000+ 2.16 GHz). Maybe 462 socket is old and my current cpu processor is one of the best sockets for 462?

get yourself a socket 939 motherboard that support AGP, a 939 cpu and reuse your video card and memory.

or, a socket 754 kit. both would be way better than your current setup.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hmm i dont know if i can install a new motherboard.. im a newbie on hardware.... some noobie questions here:

1) What is dual core exactly? My brother has a Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz .. which is dual core and mine is AthlonXP 3000+ 2.16GHz... how much better will his computer run? or is dual core only majorly improved in the aspects of multi tasking?

2) How come most decent amd processors are at 2.0-2.5gh and intel are 3.0+? What is the best/fastest one out there for amd??

pat

Expert
I have trouble understanding some stuffs.. im a complete hardware newbie. A couple of questions here...

1) What is dual core exactly? My brother has a Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz .. which is dual core and mine is AthlonXP 3000+ 2.16GHz... how much better will his computer run? or is dual core only differentiable in the aspects of multi tasking?

2) How come most decent amd processors are at 2.0-2.5gh? What is the best/fastest one out there? All the intel ones i see are 3.0+

first, not all processor are creted equal. The Athlon XP was a good CPU in its time. The core was effective and could rival Intel until they released their Pentium 4 Northwood. To be efficient, the P4 needed higher clock speed, because it was not able to process ans many instruction for each clock than AMD.

To put it simple, 4 instructions X 5 clock cycle=20. That was Intel P4 way. On the other hand, AMD was doing more instruction for each clock cycle. So, it would be 5 instruction X 4 clock cycle=20. same result at the end.

The Athlon64 was then brought to compete with Intel good P4 northwood. It was an improved AthlonXP core (named K8) and they integrated the memory controller in the CPU, reducing latency. AMD was much more efficient by still doing more instruction for each clock cycle than Intel and the integrated memory controller helped in reducing latency caused by the FSB way of doing thing. Athlon64 don't have FSB. Intel still has. A FSB is the BUS that goes from the cpu to the memorycontroller in the northbridge then to the memory. On AMD cpu, since the memory controller is directly connected to the CPU, then the bust only goes from the CPU to the memory, leaving the northbridge for other thing than memory.

Dual core is simply 2 CPU core on the same package. so, your brother's computer is working almost like a dual CPU (2 CPU socket) system, but having only 1 socket, and 2 CPU using the same socket. Why his 2.2GHz CPU was able to outperform faster clocked CPU is all about cpu efficiency and integrated memoty controller. New Intel core2 processor run slower that current AMD and perform better. this is for the same reason, improved cpu core. But they still lack integrated memory controller. But good chipset care for that.

As you said, having 2 core only help when doing multitasking. If one apps use a core at 100%, you still have the other one to perform other task. your system will perform smoother than one with only one fully loaded core.

Which CPU is better? Don't buy a computer only by its CPU. $ for $, AMD and Intel CPU will give good performance. When I buy a new computer, whet I look first is the HDD interface speed. Even the fastest cpu will suffer from slow HDD. Newer Intel and AMD(ATI) chipset, in my experience, offer the best HDD experience. Nvidia old nforce4(or its descending design) offer average performance, by today's standard. Newer 680i improve on that side thou.

Then, I look at the motherboard's features, then I put a CPU on it, what ever brand will fit on. I often cut on the CPU side if I need more video performance for gaming.

Core2 have now performance advantage, but AMD still have good value. Better motherboard choice at lower price than Intel, and their CPU are now very affordable.

No matter the one you choose, you won't do wrong with either brand.

triggerhappy

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
try doing a search on ebay for "socket a" as well. i found a whole lot more a few months ago when looking for such a beast. when you look at the core are the edges square or rounded and broken? it sounds like a tough call, buy a new cpu or just an entire upgrade but like the other guys said. you may have hooped your board from stabbing it so you may just be better off buying a new board/cpu.

misiu_mp

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Before you run to the the store you might make sure you cleaned off the old termal paste and reapplied a fresh one.

Dual core means that there are two processors in one. It is as if you had two processors on the motherboard but better since the delays are mych smaller and the cores can share cache,
Yes you only can use it when multitasking or multithreading, Some applications can spawn multiple threads internally to make use of both cores. Applications that does not do so will not run faster.
Even if you would only have single-threaded applications you can still make use of the cores by running many apps at the same time.

The clock frequency is a valid tool for comparing processors OF THE SAME TYPE ONLY. That is because different types of processors do different amount of calculations per singe clock.
You cannot compare AthlonXP with Athlon64, X2 or any intel processor per clock basis. The only way to compare processors is running benchmarks.

AthlonXp is an old technology and is certainly slower than Athlon64 not to metion A64 X2.

The 3Ghz+ intel processors are old pentium 4 which are as obsolete as Athlon Xp. P4 were also known for consuming way to much energy. New Intel processors are called Core 2 Duo (C2D) and run at 1.8 - 2.9Ghz.
AMD's strongest processors are Athlons 64 X2. They are based on technology that is older than C2D. They are still competitive though.

The fastest C2D are much faster than the fastest Athlon64 X2. If you dont want the fastest and most expensive, the competition is much tighter. C2D may have better price/performace ratio but that is disputable.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Thaks for the detailed reply.
I never had my comp at 100% and i dont think i ever will.. so i guess theres no point in getting a dual core cpu right?? Or do dual cores have better cpu efficiency than good single core cpu's?

All this hardware knowledge and stuff.. i dont think i will be able to get a new motherboard and figure everything out... I think ill just get the same cpu or a lil suckier one or just buy a new computer.

pat

Expert
Thaks for the detailed reply.
I never had my comp at 100% and i dont think i ever will.. so i guess theres no point in getting a dual core cpu right?? Or do dual cores have better cpu efficiency than good single core cpu's?

All this hardware knowledge and stuff.. i dont think i will be able to get a new motherboard and figure everything out... I think ill just get the same cpu or a lil suckier one or just buy a new computer.

If your current single core suffice you, then you don't need a dual core right now, as most application don't fully make use of both core. a dual core is no faster than a single core for single thread application. dual core really helps when doing video editing and encodind, or with some professional product like CAD, scientific or imaging apps.

since you already have ddr memory and AGP video card that plenty satisfied you, a cheap motherboard, like one of these and a 3200+ A64 will make you a nice system that will probably last you many years, since your old one was still satisfying for your needs.

and that won't cost much than an older socket A cpu.

Don't be fooled by the dual channel memory for the 3200+. It will run if you only have a single memory stick, but you will loose about 5-6% in performance, 10% max.. Will you notice it? probably not. and don't worry if your memory is only PC2100 type. It will work anyway, an it will still be faster than your old setup.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006

get yourself a socket 939 motherboard that support AGP, a 939 cpu and reuse your video card and memory.

or, a socket 754 kit. both would be way better than your current setup.

i have actually installed a s939 cpu and found it did not post
or anything.

and upon further inspection found that the cpu
(even with the retension lever flipped down and the hsf installed)
was not seated all the way in the mobo 8O

got lucky as it didnt bend one single pin, whew!

speedemon

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
Am I the only one gettin a kick out of this? :lol: Its good to see everyone on thg forum is so helpful. If this guy "stabbed" his motherboard and is not sure if he crushed his CPU , why would u guys recommend a new one?
just buy a new computer or have someone that is experienced with handling pcb's and exposed cores fix it :idea:

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hmm all this hardware stuff scares me.. im a total hardware newbie. I know it's really not that hard but i never really got past sticking in videocards and installing heatsinks. So.. i dont know about installing a motherboard.. i think ill mess up a lot. What if it does fit my case? Or what if some cables are left hanging? Or i dont know what cables go where? ahhh

What do you guys think i should that will do me better I got my comp at around $850+ us dollars. Upgrading it seems less costly than buying a new comp and not just throwing away my 850+ comp. Can upgrading my comp get me to a point matchable to my brothers computer? His comp is decent.. i think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16883107191

xnex7

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Provided it is a socket A (462), you very well could have damaged your cpu.
Installing backwards removes contact away from the chip and thus allows heat to build up and destroy the cpu. Excess heat may have damaged the socket as well rendering the retaining clips useless.
If that's the case, you have the option of buying a new mainboard and cpu combo, or, replacement.
Your Bro's computer is nice, and I don't know of a Socket A that can really compete.
My advice...get a new computer.

pat

Expert
Hmm all this hardware stuff scares me.. im a total hardware newbie. I know it's really not that hard but i never really got past sticking in videocards and installing heatsinks. So.. i dont know about installing a motherboard.. i think ill mess up a lot.

this is a good system, and the price is good. It has integrated video, that's mean that the video performance is not the best one.. decent at most. A faster video card would make his system way faster as the CPU won't have to be crippled by a slow video, and the system memory won't have to be shared between the video and the CPU. But if he's happy, then all is good. His next upgrade shoud be a video card, as it is really the weakest link in his setup.

The price is good, and you have support from HP in case of problem.

If you don't need a dual core, then HD and DELL should have nice computer in the 300$ range with , often, nice LCD screen and all in one printer. That make good deal, and you have support in case of problem.

shop around, visit Dell web site, you will likely find something that fits your needs and budget.

woodyfly

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hmm all this hardware stuff scares me.. im a total hardware newbie. I know it's really not that hard but i never really got past sticking in videocards and installing heatsinks. So.. i dont know about installing a motherboard.. i think ill mess up a lot.

this is a good system, and the price is good. It has integrated video, that's mean that the video performance is not the best one.. decent at most. A faster video card would make his system way faster as the CPU won't have to be crippled by a slow video, and the system memory won't have to be shared between the video and the CPU. But if he's happy, then all is good. His next upgrade shoud be a video card, as it is really the weakest link in his setup.

The price is good, and you have support from HP in case of problem.

If you don't need a dual core, then HD and DELL should have nice computer in the 300$ range with , often, nice LCD screen and all in one printer. That make good deal, and you have support in case of problem.

shop around, visit Dell web site, you will likely find something that fits your needs and budget.

He already has a video card. He's using a geforce 7600 GS and im using a radeon x700