Sign in with
Your question

Comp wont boot after installing heatsink

Last response: in CPUs
January 2, 2007 11:39:31 PM

I was installing a new heatsink (volcano 12). Installed it the first time, everything went fine. I felt it would do better if i put some artic silver. So i put on the artic silver and put the heatsink back on and ran it. My temps were reading pretty abnormal .. 70-80C as compared to 30-50 on my first run. I thought it was probably because i had the heatsink backwards or clip was unclipped. So i flipped it and ran it a third time. Now my comp wont boot fully. It powers up and the orange busy signal is flashing nonstop. All my fans work. My cd roms work. My monitor/keyboard/mouse isnt responding. Now my comp is just stuck with a orange busy signal
January 3, 2007 5:33:03 AM

Put your old heatsink on and try again.
a b à CPUs
January 3, 2007 6:28:45 AM

Quote:
I was installing a new heatsink (volcano 12). Installed it the first time, everything went fine. I felt it would do better if i put some artic silver. So i put on the artic silver and put the heatsink back on and ran it. My temps were reading pretty abnormal .. 70-80C as compared to 30-50 on my first run. I thought it was probably because i had the heatsink backwards or clip was unclipped. So i flipped it and ran it a third time. Now my comp wont boot fully. It powers up and the orange busy signal is flashing nonstop. All my fans work. My cd roms work. My monitor/keyboard/mouse isnt responding. Now my comp is just stuck with a orange busy signal

i take it this is an AMD system (socket 462/a) - you may have just fried the cpu or crushed it not installing the hsf correctly :oops: 
Related resources
January 3, 2007 12:44:33 PM

whhat exactly did i burn/damage? The square looking platform where the heatsink is placed on? I Do remember using lot of force gettin the hsf on it.. that thing was kinda hard to install. Heard some crushing noises too. I guess ill have to buy another one... what exactly is the term/name of what i need to buy? Imma get it off online.
January 3, 2007 1:24:41 PM

Sounds like you damaged the cpu. To be sure, remove the heat sink and cpu and reseat them both. If it still doesn't work, you'll need to replace that processor.
January 3, 2007 1:45:15 PM

Quote:
i take it this is an AMD system (socket 462/a) - you may have just fried the cpu or crushed it not installing the hsf correctly :oops: 

All the Socket A's I ever used did not have heatspreaders like all AMD's procs after that. The processor core is exposed and some of the other "things" are exposed as well.

I once had issues with a Socket A processor due to getting thermal compound on areas other than the processing core. I accidentally made electrical connections that weren't supposed to be made. Make sure the thermal paste doesn't go anywhere except the core.

I've highlighted the trouble areas that I've seen before, make sure they're clear.

January 3, 2007 2:30:07 PM

Very Hard lesson to learn :D 
January 3, 2007 8:54:39 PM

Quote:

All the Socket A's I ever used did not have heatspreaders like all AMD's procs after that. The processor core is exposed and some of the other "things" are exposed as well.

I once had issues with a Socket A processor due to getting thermal compound on areas other than the processing core. I accidentally made electrical connections that weren't supposed to be made. Make sure the thermal paste doesn't go anywhere except the core.

I've highlighted the trouble areas that I've seen before, make sure they're clear.

Hmm all the compound is on the core.... could i have damaged the motherboard by pushing the heatsink down too hard or by stabbing it? I missed the clip and stabbed my motherboard a couple of times..
January 3, 2007 9:22:10 PM

If you heard crushing sounds that probably means you crushed your CPU. May be a good excuse to upgrade :)  Yes, you can damage your mobo by "stabbing" it and you possibly could have done so.
January 3, 2007 9:26:50 PM

Yes i think it's because i crushed it. The multiple stabbings happened on the first 2 times trying to install it. This thing was so troublesome to install... the third time i tried to install it it went easy and fast but i think the third time IS when i heard a cruching noise.

I guess ill have to buy a new cpu processor?... where could i buy one for socket 462? I looked in ebay,newegg and other places and every socket 462 it displayed, was worse than my current one (amd athlonXP 3000+ 2.16 GHz). Maybe 462 socket is old and my current cpu processor is one of the best sockets for 462?
January 3, 2007 9:49:36 PM

Quote:
Yes i think it's because i crushed it. The multiple stabbings happened on the first 2 times trying to install it. This thing was so troublesome to install... the third time i tried to install it it went easy and fast but i think the third time IS when i heard a cruching noise.

I guess ill have to buy a new cpu processor?... where could i buy one for socket 462? I looked in ebay,newegg and other places and every socket 462 it displayed, was worse than my current one (amd athlonXP 3000+ 2.16 GHz). Maybe 462 socket is old and my current cpu processor is one of the best sockets for 462?

get yourself a socket 939 motherboard that support AGP, a 939 cpu and reuse your video card and memory.

or, a socket 754 kit. both would be way better than your current setup.
January 3, 2007 10:12:53 PM

Hmm i dont know if i can install a new motherboard.. im a newbie on hardware.... some noobie questions here:

1) What is dual core exactly? My brother has a Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz .. which is dual core and mine is AthlonXP 3000+ 2.16GHz... how much better will his computer run? or is dual core only majorly improved in the aspects of multi tasking?

2) How come most decent amd processors are at 2.0-2.5gh and intel are 3.0+? What is the best/fastest one out there for amd??
January 3, 2007 10:42:53 PM

Quote:
I have trouble understanding some stuffs.. im a complete hardware newbie. A couple of questions here...

1) What is dual core exactly? My brother has a Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz .. which is dual core and mine is AthlonXP 3000+ 2.16GHz... how much better will his computer run? or is dual core only differentiable in the aspects of multi tasking?

2) How come most decent amd processors are at 2.0-2.5gh? What is the best/fastest one out there? All the intel ones i see are 3.0+

first, not all processor are creted equal. The Athlon XP was a good CPU in its time. The core was effective and could rival Intel until they released their Pentium 4 Northwood. To be efficient, the P4 needed higher clock speed, because it was not able to process ans many instruction for each clock than AMD.

To put it simple, 4 instructions X 5 clock cycle=20. That was Intel P4 way. On the other hand, AMD was doing more instruction for each clock cycle. So, it would be 5 instruction X 4 clock cycle=20. same result at the end.

The Athlon64 was then brought to compete with Intel good P4 northwood. It was an improved AthlonXP core (named K8) and they integrated the memory controller in the CPU, reducing latency. AMD was much more efficient by still doing more instruction for each clock cycle than Intel and the integrated memory controller helped in reducing latency caused by the FSB way of doing thing. Athlon64 don't have FSB. Intel still has. A FSB is the BUS that goes from the cpu to the memorycontroller in the northbridge then to the memory. On AMD cpu, since the memory controller is directly connected to the CPU, then the bust only goes from the CPU to the memory, leaving the northbridge for other thing than memory.

Dual core is simply 2 CPU core on the same package. so, your brother's computer is working almost like a dual CPU (2 CPU socket) system, but having only 1 socket, and 2 CPU using the same socket. Why his 2.2GHz CPU was able to outperform faster clocked CPU is all about cpu efficiency and integrated memoty controller. New Intel core2 processor run slower that current AMD and perform better. this is for the same reason, improved cpu core. But they still lack integrated memory controller. But good chipset care for that.

As you said, having 2 core only help when doing multitasking. If one apps use a core at 100%, you still have the other one to perform other task. your system will perform smoother than one with only one fully loaded core.

Which CPU is better? Don't buy a computer only by its CPU. $ for $, AMD and Intel CPU will give good performance. When I buy a new computer, whet I look first is the HDD interface speed. Even the fastest cpu will suffer from slow HDD. Newer Intel and AMD(ATI) chipset, in my experience, offer the best HDD experience. Nvidia old nforce4(or its descending design) offer average performance, by today's standard. Newer 680i improve on that side thou.

Then, I look at the motherboard's features, then I put a CPU on it, what ever brand will fit on. I often cut on the CPU side if I need more video performance for gaming.

Core2 have now performance advantage, but AMD still have good value. Better motherboard choice at lower price than Intel, and their CPU are now very affordable.

No matter the one you choose, you won't do wrong with either brand.
January 3, 2007 10:44:00 PM

try doing a search on ebay for "socket a" as well. i found a whole lot more a few months ago when looking for such a beast. when you look at the core are the edges square or rounded and broken? it sounds like a tough call, buy a new cpu or just an entire upgrade but like the other guys said. you may have hooped your board from stabbing it so you may just be better off buying a new board/cpu.
January 3, 2007 10:45:29 PM

Before you run to the the store you might make sure you cleaned off the old termal paste and reapplied a fresh one.

Dual core means that there are two processors in one. It is as if you had two processors on the motherboard but better since the delays are mych smaller and the cores can share cache,
Yes you only can use it when multitasking or multithreading, Some applications can spawn multiple threads internally to make use of both cores. Applications that does not do so will not run faster.
Even if you would only have single-threaded applications you can still make use of the cores by running many apps at the same time.

The clock frequency is a valid tool for comparing processors OF THE SAME TYPE ONLY. That is because different types of processors do different amount of calculations per singe clock.
You cannot compare AthlonXP with Athlon64, X2 or any intel processor per clock basis. The only way to compare processors is running benchmarks.

AthlonXp is an old technology and is certainly slower than Athlon64 not to metion A64 X2.

The 3Ghz+ intel processors are old pentium 4 which are as obsolete as Athlon Xp. P4 were also known for consuming way to much energy. New Intel processors are called Core 2 Duo (C2D) and run at 1.8 - 2.9Ghz.
AMD's strongest processors are Athlons 64 X2. They are based on technology that is older than C2D. They are still competitive though.

The fastest C2D are much faster than the fastest Athlon64 X2. If you dont want the fastest and most expensive, the competition is much tighter. C2D may have better price/performace ratio but that is disputable.
January 3, 2007 10:51:30 PM

Thaks for the detailed reply.
I never had my comp at 100% and i dont think i ever will.. so i guess theres no point in getting a dual core cpu right?? Or do dual cores have better cpu efficiency than good single core cpu's?

All this hardware knowledge and stuff.. i dont think i will be able to get a new motherboard and figure everything out... I think ill just get the same cpu or a lil suckier one or just buy a new computer.
January 3, 2007 11:05:12 PM

Quote:
Thaks for the detailed reply.
I never had my comp at 100% and i dont think i ever will.. so i guess theres no point in getting a dual core cpu right?? Or do dual cores have better cpu efficiency than good single core cpu's?

All this hardware knowledge and stuff.. i dont think i will be able to get a new motherboard and figure everything out... I think ill just get the same cpu or a lil suckier one or just buy a new computer.

If your current single core suffice you, then you don't need a dual core right now, as most application don't fully make use of both core. a dual core is no faster than a single core for single thread application. dual core really helps when doing video editing and encodind, or with some professional product like CAD, scientific or imaging apps.

since you already have ddr memory and AGP video card that plenty satisfied you, a cheap motherboard, like one of these and a 3200+ A64 will make you a nice system that will probably last you many years, since your old one was still satisfying for your needs.

and that won't cost much than an older socket A cpu.

Don't be fooled by the dual channel memory for the 3200+. It will run if you only have a single memory stick, but you will loose about 5-6% in performance, 10% max.. Will you notice it? probably not. and don't worry if your memory is only PC2100 type. It will work anyway, an it will still be faster than your old setup.
January 3, 2007 11:09:48 PM

Quote:

get yourself a socket 939 motherboard that support AGP, a 939 cpu and reuse your video card and memory.

or, a socket 754 kit. both would be way better than your current setup.

i have actually installed a s939 cpu and found it did not post
or anything.

and upon further inspection found that the cpu
(even with the retension lever flipped down and the hsf installed)
was not seated all the way in the mobo 8O

got lucky as it didnt bend one single pin, whew!
January 3, 2007 11:10:44 PM

Am I the only one gettin a kick out of this? :lol:  Its good to see everyone on thg forum is so helpful. If this guy "stabbed" his motherboard and is not sure if he crushed his CPU , why would u guys recommend a new one?
just buy a new computer or have someone that is experienced with handling pcb's and exposed cores fix it :idea:
January 3, 2007 11:11:19 PM

Hmm all this hardware stuff scares me.. im a total hardware newbie. I know it's really not that hard but i never really got past sticking in videocards and installing heatsinks. So.. i dont know about installing a motherboard.. i think ill mess up a lot. What if it does fit my case? Or what if some cables are left hanging? Or i dont know what cables go where? ahhh

What do you guys think i should that will do me better I got my comp at around $850+ us dollars. Upgrading it seems less costly than buying a new comp and not just throwing away my 850+ comp. Can upgrading my comp get me to a point matchable to my brothers computer? His comp is decent.. i think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1688...
January 3, 2007 11:24:16 PM

Provided it is a socket A (462), you very well could have damaged your cpu.
Installing backwards removes contact away from the chip and thus allows heat to build up and destroy the cpu. Excess heat may have damaged the socket as well rendering the retaining clips useless.
If that's the case, you have the option of buying a new mainboard and cpu combo, or, replacement.
Your Bro's computer is nice, and I don't know of a Socket A that can really compete.
My advice...get a new computer.
January 3, 2007 11:28:37 PM

Quote:
The K6-2 450 is either a socket 7 or a super 7, not a socket A, aka 462. Your Volcano heatsink may not be designed for your hardware.

In that case you have probably, but not certainly, fried your chip.
My advice....upgrade.

EH? k6-2 450? Thats not on mine. im very sure my comp has a socket a/462.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...
January 3, 2007 11:31:15 PM

Quote:
Hmm all this hardware stuff scares me.. im a total hardware newbie. I know it's really not that hard but i never really got past sticking in videocards and installing heatsinks. So.. i dont know about installing a motherboard.. i think ill mess up a lot.

this is a good system, and the price is good. It has integrated video, that's mean that the video performance is not the best one.. decent at most. A faster video card would make his system way faster as the CPU won't have to be crippled by a slow video, and the system memory won't have to be shared between the video and the CPU. But if he's happy, then all is good. His next upgrade shoud be a video card, as it is really the weakest link in his setup.

The price is good, and you have support from HP in case of problem.

If you don't need a dual core, then HD and DELL should have nice computer in the 300$ range with , often, nice LCD screen and all in one printer. That make good deal, and you have support in case of problem.

shop around, visit Dell web site, you will likely find something that fits your needs and budget.
January 3, 2007 11:36:51 PM

Quote:
Hmm all this hardware stuff scares me.. im a total hardware newbie. I know it's really not that hard but i never really got past sticking in videocards and installing heatsinks. So.. i dont know about installing a motherboard.. i think ill mess up a lot.

this is a good system, and the price is good. It has integrated video, that's mean that the video performance is not the best one.. decent at most. A faster video card would make his system way faster as the CPU won't have to be crippled by a slow video, and the system memory won't have to be shared between the video and the CPU. But if he's happy, then all is good. His next upgrade shoud be a video card, as it is really the weakest link in his setup.

If you don't need a dual core, then HD and DELL should have nice computer in the 300$ range with , often, nice LCD screen and all in one printer. That make good deal, and you have support in case of problem.

shop around, visit Dell web site, you will likely find something that fits your needs and budget.

He already has a video card. He's using a geforce 7600 GS and im using a radeon x700
January 3, 2007 11:38:04 PM

Quote:
Am I the only one gettin a kick out of this? :lol:  Its good to see everyone on thg forum is so helpful. If this guy "stabbed" his motherboard and is not sure if he crushed his CPU , why would u guys recommend a new one?
just buy a new computer or have someone that is experienced with handling pcb's and exposed cores fix it :idea:

because parts for socket a/462 are not easy to find, and often costing more than current one, while performing worst. Getting an used one, on ebay, may get you a non functionning unit and lot of trouble.

And since current part are cheap (cpu/motherboard costing about the same than either a new socket A motherboard or a CPU), it make no sence to actually invest in such part, as the performance is simply not worthing it.
January 3, 2007 11:38:52 PM

I read the wrong post, lol, sorry. edited post.
January 3, 2007 11:41:22 PM

Quote:

He already has a video card. He's using a geforce 7600 GS and im using a radeon x700

Ok, the gforce 7600GS is an OK card, and your radeon, while a bit weak, may still be usable for a while. but buying a new system won't allow you to reuse your current video card, since all OEM now use PCI express video card slot.

so, it may be time to get a nice up to date system, that, based on your needs, shouldnt cost you too much.
January 3, 2007 11:41:58 PM

Installing backwards removes contact away from the chip and thus allows heat to build up and destroy the cpu. Excess heat may have damaged the socket as well rendering the retaining clips useless.
If that's the case, you have the option of buying a new mainboard and cpu combo, or, replacement.
Your Bro's computer is nice, and I don't know of a Socket A that can really compete.
January 3, 2007 11:52:17 PM

Quote:

Yes i think thats exactly what happened... i noticed my temps were ridiculously high (because the heatsink was placed backwards).

I cannot decide on what to do.. i need more opinions and suggestions and facts... I spent 800ish dollars on my current comp.. im sure it wouldnt cost as much if it was sold on the market now.... I hear it's much better/cheaper to build/upgrade your own computer than buying one. So now.. what EXACTLY do i need to upgrade that will make my comp just as good if not, even better than my bros comp. I need a new motherboard, cpu processor, more ram... and would that be it? I dont know much about hardware so...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docn...
January 4, 2007 12:39:29 AM

A replacement board can be found on ebay, link: http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-5187-4113-Board-System-Explorer-... $219.00

or you could get any socket A board in a uATX form factor and use a matching cpu.

My current mainboard is a Chaintech Socket A Nforce 2 I got for $23 new and it takes up to a Athlon XP 3200+ I purchased new for $97 2 years ago. ( I refuse to upgrade )

Socket A's are hard to find and newer boards in a compatible form factor with newer chips/sockets are as reasonably, if not better, priced. Shop around find what you like and ask in the forums if you want to tackle a new build. There is plenty of advice, mostly good, and building isnt as hard as you think.
Keep in mind, your windows is OEM, it will not transfer to anything but a matching HP board because of the way HP does there hardware/software.
Bottom line, for what you'd pay for a replacement board and cpu, you could find a better alternative and still use your case and other hardware, possibly even your memory depending on what you get.
The last socket A based system I built last year cost retail $250.00 dollars complete, using new but older parts, and included windows.
January 4, 2007 1:05:48 AM

Looking at that list....you seriosuly need to think about upgrading.

You can do it for cheap and put your brothers crappy Athlon x2 to shame.

Quote:
So now.. what EXACTLY do i need to upgrade that will make my comp just as good if not, even better than my bros comp.

Here is my humble suggestion for a very budget concious rig with very nice performance that will completely out do your brothers comp and probly for cheaper than what he paid.

Core 2 duo e6300 $191 (overclock this baby ~3.2ghz with ease, and go further with more experience)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro cpu heatsink $29
GIGABYTE GA-965P-S3 $108
G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB)DDR2 800 $109
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB $79
XClio 450BL ATX 450W Power Supply $39
Rosewill Mid tower chassis $52 (or a decent case of your choice)
eVGA GeForce 7600GT KO 256MB $139 ($119 after mail in rebate)
LG Black super multi drive $29

Total Cost for all the components: $775

You can pick and choose what components you need. You may be able to salvage the cd rom drive from your old computer and deal with the stock intel heatsink for a little while.
Total Cost without the cdrom drive and the cpu heatsink: $717

If you decide to attempt to fit it all in the claustrophobic HP case you may be able to skimp on the case as well, although I wouldn't recommend it.
Total Cost without the cdrom drive, cpu heatsink, and the nice case: $665

This rig would not only run a thousand cps (circles per second) around the rig you already have/had :lol:  ....but it would bring tears to your eyes and leave your brothers computer crying "UNCLE" :D 

Quote:
I hear it's much better/cheaper to build/upgrade your own computer than buying one.

This rig will cost you less and it will dominate the life out of that rig you once had, so yes it is much better to build than it is to buy.

Best of luck
~3lfk1ng
January 4, 2007 1:30:10 AM

Thanks for your effort and proving the links and stuff... appreciate it. I have a couple of questions. When buying ram, what specs should i look for? I heard i have to look for the speed and the type? (DDR or DDR2 , PC or PC2 and the speeds of the PC/PC2?) Do these give worthy improvements or just minor.

And also for my harddrive.. do i really need to upgrade it? The one you recommended is 250gb as to mine is 120gb .. i dont really care about the capacity. I dont use that much. But i noticed my rpm is 5400rpm and the one you adviced is 7200 RPM... once again, any big improvement thats worth of change?

And for the powersupply. I have a 350W one i think.. will this suffice?
January 4, 2007 1:41:43 AM

Quote:
When buying ram, what specs should i look for?

Make sure it is compatible with the motherboard...or slightly slower.
The motherboard I recommended uses ddr2-800, but the motherboard will work fine with ddr2-667 as well as the higher memory ddr2-1066.

The one I recommended is DDR2-800, it's 240pin memory. Your computer used the old standard DDR which was 184pin memory. So you couldn't use your old memory in the new computer.

The improvement is huge because not only is the memory interface faster, but the memory has gone from your old 333mhz(pc-2700) memory to 800mhz(pc2-6400) memory with the memory I provided.

Quote:
And also for my harddrive.. do i really need to upgrade it?

As far as the hard-drive goes, the upgrade would be nice because your current rig was most likely using the primative IDE format. Also, new games coming out over the next year will use upwards of around 10gb of space for each game (Vanguard will supposedly use upwards of 15gb).

The old hard drive you have was most likely IDE(the big thick ribbon cable) 5400rpm and has a 2mb built in cache (high speed transfer memory). The one I provided is SATA (many times faster) 7200rpm and has 16mb of built in cache (big difference).

As you can see, the peformance from new vs old is huge. The difference is obvious.

Quote:
And for the powersupply. I have a 350W one i think.. will this suffice?

No, if you look carefully at the new motherboard(s) you will see that they require a power supply with a 24pin motherboard connector, the old motherboards and power supplies were 20pin. Also the motherboard needs an additional 4pin power connector located to the right of the socket in the picture below.

Also the graphics card requires a minimum of a 400watt power supply.
January 4, 2007 2:34:57 AM

This seems pretty good.. does any1 have any thoughts or opinions on his suggestion? I seem to be pretty down to start ordering all this stuff
a b à CPUs
January 4, 2007 3:34:56 AM

Quote:
Hmm i dont know if i can install a new motherboard.. im a newbie on hardware.... some noobie questions here:

1) What is dual core exactly? My brother has a Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz .. which is dual core and mine is AthlonXP 3000+ 2.16GHz... how much better will his computer run? or is dual core only majorly improved in the aspects of multi tasking?

2) How come most decent amd processors are at 2.0-2.5gh and intel are 3.0+? What is the best/fastest one out there for amd??

P4's had a higher clock speed but not as efficent 'clock for clock' - the new Intel Core 2 Duo's better AMD again and returned to the original concept rather then outragous clock speeds

Why limit your self to AMD??? but reusing your ram/video is a good idea for a budget

CLOCK SPEED DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING
January 4, 2007 3:06:19 PM

Quote:
This seems pretty good.. does any1 have any thoughts or opinions on his suggestion? I seem to be pretty down to start ordering all this stuff

Start Buying, You won't regret it :wink:

The only suggestion I could possibly make would be to get 2 gigs of ram. It's more expensive (about $100 more) but a huge performance gain can be made and your system would be more "future proof". You can always start out with 1 gig now, and upgrade to 2 gig's later if you would like.

A lot of the upcoming games as well as the new operating system (Windows Vista) will run many times better on 2 gigs of ram as opposed to 1 gig. 1 gig is enough to get you started, but eventually your goal should be to get 2 gigs. You could also settle for this version as well.

Best of Luck woodyfly
~3lfk1ng
January 5, 2007 2:40:41 AM

Such a bummer but it seems i wont be able to buy these... im broker than i thought. I think for now imma just get a replacement cpu processor. What kind should i get that is decent / a little better or worse than my current one? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...

would a 3000+ barton like this one run on my comp? or a even higher one like 3200+?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-XP-3000-2-2Ghz-barton-51...

and what about this one? it seems it has slower speed but higher L2 Cache (512kb) .. mine was 256kb... dunno if it makes a big diff.. if any1 can compare mine and this one .. id appreciate it cuz i have no idea
http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-AMD-Athlon-XP-2500-AXDA2500...
January 5, 2007 1:03:09 PM

Quote:
Such a bummer but it seems i wont be able to buy these... im broker than i thought. I think for now imma just get a replacement cpu processor. What kind should i get that is decent / a little better or worse than my current one? http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=e...

would a 3000+ barton like this one run on my comp? or a even higher one like 3200+?
http://cgi.ebay.com/AMD-Athlon-XP-3000-2-2Ghz-barton-51...

and what about this one? it seems it has slower speed but higher L2 Cache (512kb) .. mine was 256kb... dunno if it makes a big diff.. if any1 can compare mine and this one .. id appreciate it cuz i have no idea
http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-AMD-Athlon-XP-2500-AXDA2500...

you understand that the Barton will cost more than a new 939 motherboard with AGP AND the A64 3200+ and still be an Athlon XP. If you're not confortable putting it together, maybe a local shop will do it for you for a low price.
January 6, 2007 1:12:47 AM

OK.. this was tough but i got everything together. I got a apevia atx case with 450w psu, e6300, 2x512 corsair 5400 675mhz, seagate 400gb sata 7200, geforce 7600 gs... now everything is compatible right?? I am sure i will need help, probably with putting everything together and i hear setting up the bios is really hard for first timers? So gimme some tips and stuff.. I heard the jumpers or something is really confusing/hard??? i dont wanna mess anything up this costed me 900+bucks.
a b à CPUs
January 6, 2007 2:33:01 AM

You sound reluctant to build your own, which is understandable. Have you looked at options for just buying a new system?
For instance, at Dell, $469 will buy you an Athlon 3200+ (single core) with 160 GB HD, DVD+/-RW, 1 GB of 533 Mhz DDR2 memory, and on board audio and video. You can then start from there and upgrade (at time of purchase or on your own later) with a graphics card, better processor, and more RAM.
Sometimes, on the low end, buying parts costs almost as much as buying a system since the OEM gets better discounts on all the parts and the O/S.
Building your own system can have rewards besides lower cost, but if you don't have a strong desire to do it you might be better off with a system. Perhaps you should at least look online at the options available at places like Dell and HP.
January 6, 2007 3:13:17 AM

No, the above post i listed all the things that i ALREADY BOUGHT. Right now i got through screwing on the motherboard and the i/o panel which was kind of a pain. I just put on the heatsink but im worried... is there a specific way the heatsink is supposed to be facing?

Now im having trouble taking out my cd roms from my old comp... wtf!!!

EDIT- After 6 gruesome hours or so, ive put my comp apart, took it for a spin. everything seems fine as of now except for a few thingies... only one of my cd rom works, im installing windows but it says i have 131000 mb (131gigs, when i have 300gig hd), i dunno how to overclock
a b à CPUs
January 8, 2007 6:34:28 AM

Quote:
No, the above post i listed all the things that i ALREADY BOUGHT. Right now i got through screwing on the motherboard and the i/o panel which was kind of a pain. I just put on the heatsink but im worried... is there a specific way the heatsink is supposed to be facing?

Now im having trouble taking out my cd roms from my old comp... wtf!!!

EDIT- After 6 gruesome hours or so, ive put my comp apart, took it for a spin. everything seems fine as of now except for a few thingies... only one of my cd rom works, im installing windows but it says i have 131000 mb (131gigs, when i have 300gig hd), i dunno how to overclock

woa 6 hours :oops:  :oops:  8O 8O

heatsink direction depends on the clip and the main importance between life and death - MAKE SURE FOR GOD SAKES THAT YOU HAVE THE THERMAL PAD/THERMAL GOOP SECTION SITTING ON THE CPU DIE

CDRoms not working- checked master and slave settings? and that all the plugs are connected?

Windows XP SP2 supports the larger hdds, if you have sp2, check in windows manager - disk manager that you have all the available space used with your patitions.
!