Memory Hogging Processes

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b } Memory
June 27, 2005 5:08:02 PM

Hi There,

I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is it
system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
allow me to kill the process.

--
When life gets you down smack it with a big smelly fish
Anonymous

do you have a lexmark printer??? start the comp in safe mode... restart,
hit f8, and select safe mode... check out the processes it runs... it will
only run a few... write them down and restart normally... now you have
your list of required processes...

"Mindscramble" <Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi There,
>
> I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
> not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
> that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is
it
> system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
> allow me to kill the process.
>
> --
> When life gets you down smack it with a big smelly fish
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 28, 2005 12:32:50 AM

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:08:02 -0700, Mindscramble
<Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi There,
>
>I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
>not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
>that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is it
>system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
>allow me to kill the process.

Download the XP version of msconfig from here:

http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

Place it in any folder and use it in Selective Startup mode.
You can uncheck programs you don't want to run at startup, and then
reboot.

Googling LexServ.exe leads to info on communications software by
Cleo (Lexicon). But that's all I found.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
a b } Memory
June 29, 2005 1:05:08 PM

Thank you ... I will remember in the future to google unknown files ... never
even thought of that ... I do actually do have a program called Lexicom by
Cleo software ... thanks for the tip
--

"Art" wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:08:02 -0700, Mindscramble
> <Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi There,
> >
> >I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
> >not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
> >that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is it
> >system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
> >allow me to kill the process.
>
> Download the XP version of msconfig from here:
>
> http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
>
> Place it in any folder and use it in Selective Startup mode.
> You can uncheck programs you don't want to run at startup, and then
> reboot.
>
> Googling LexServ.exe leads to info on communications software by
> Cleo (Lexicon). But that's all I found.
>
> Art
>
> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 29, 2005 8:48:25 PM

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:05:08 -0700, Mindscramble
<Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Thank you ... I will remember in the future to google unknown files ... never
>even thought of that ... I do actually do have a program called Lexicom by
>Cleo software ... thanks for the tip

You're welcome. As a long time haunter of the virus newsgroups, I'm in
the habit of making myself familiar with all programs on my startup
axis as a extra precaution before doing backups. Users often post
questions about suspicious file names. The regulars try to discourage
people from posting such questions since file names are far too often
not much of a clue to specific malware. For example, the file name
system.exe is used by several malwares, and it tells us little. We
want the name of the malware and the av product that produced
the name in order to better help a victim.

However, I find that Googling file names has provided me with
many useful hits and much good information.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
!