Memory Hogging Processes

Hi There,

I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is it
system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
allow me to kill the process.

--
When life gets you down smack it with a big smelly fish
4 answers Last reply

    do you have a lexmark printer??? start the comp in safe mode... restart,
    hit f8, and select safe mode... check out the processes it runs... it will
    only run a few... write them down and restart normally... now you have
    your list of required processes...

    "Mindscramble" <Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi There,
    >
    > I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
    > not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
    > that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is
    it
    > system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
    > allow me to kill the process.
    >
    > --
    > When life gets you down smack it with a big smelly fish

    On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:08:02 -0700, Mindscramble
    <Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi There,
    >
    >I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
    >not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
    >that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is it
    >system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
    >allow me to kill the process.

    Download the XP version of msconfig from here:

    http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html

    Place it in any folder and use it in Selective Startup mode.
    You can uncheck programs you don't want to run at startup, and then
    reboot.

    Googling LexServ.exe leads to info on communications software by
    Cleo (Lexicon). But that's all I found.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    Thank you ... I will remember in the future to google unknown files ... never
    even thought of that ... I do actually do have a program called Lexicom by
    Cleo software ... thanks for the tip
    --

    "Art" wrote:

    > On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:08:02 -0700, Mindscramble
    > <Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi There,
    > >
    > >I've been trying to isolate and discover which processes on my system are
    > >not needed and are memory hogs. Currently I have a exe called LexServ.exe
    > >that eats up around 20,000 K of memory. Anyone know what this file is, is it
    > >system critical, and can it be deleted safely? The task manager does not
    > >allow me to kill the process.
    >
    > Download the XP version of msconfig from here:
    >
    > http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/msconfig.html
    >
    > Place it in any folder and use it in Selective Startup mode.
    > You can uncheck programs you don't want to run at startup, and then
    > reboot.
    >
    > Googling LexServ.exe leads to info on communications software by
    > Cleo (Lexicon). But that's all I found.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 09:05:08 -0700, Mindscramble
    <Mindscramble@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Thank you ... I will remember in the future to google unknown files ... never
    >even thought of that ... I do actually do have a program called Lexicom by
    >Cleo software ... thanks for the tip

    You're welcome. As a long time haunter of the virus newsgroups, I'm in
    the habit of making myself familiar with all programs on my startup
    axis as a extra precaution before doing backups. Users often post
    questions about suspicious file names. The regulars try to discourage
    people from posting such questions since file names are far too often
    not much of a clue to specific malware. For example, the file name
    system.exe is used by several malwares, and it tells us little. We
    want the name of the malware and the av product that produced
    the name in order to better help a victim.

    However, I find that Googling file names has provided me with
    many useful hits and much good information.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Microsoft Task Manager Memory Windows