How many HDs can I cram in an Antec Sonata

go1ge

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
I have an extra Sonata case w/ 380W PSU and had been thinking put it in use as an enclosure for gateway, file server (RAID) and firewall, possibly using clarkconnect.

By using the eXtreme calculator http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp, it seems PSU will be sufficient for 4 7200RPM SATA drives. I'm mostly concerned about the case becoming too hot (4 SATA, maybe 1 or 2 PATA, at least one optical drive).

Any input on this is welcome

piratepast40

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
If it's the Sonata II version, you've got 4 holes on the back of the drive rack that line up with the mounting holes on a 120mm fan. With a fan mounted in that configuration, you can draw air from the front of the case directly over the drives. That should help.

go1ge

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Thank you all for the info. :D
Now it seems that there's not much to worry about as long as I increase airflow a little bit. I have the original sonata, but I believe there's room for 12" on this one as well. Too bad, I don't have to upgrade to p180 :roll: , which I like better, but WAF (wife acceptance factor) is the primary parameter.

I was worried about temp because when I touch these 7200 rpm drives, they seem quite hot compared to older 5400 rpm drives.
elevated temperatures+increased densities+lower profit margin (i.e. lesser quality) all make me worry about data loss. I'm hoping to reduce reinstall/rebuild frequency to less than once a year!