Air or Liquid - That is the question...

Bl4d3

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
Hey all,

I am building a new rig around the Core 2 Duo 6600 chip and eVGA 680i motherboard. I am going to be overclocking this thing to the last drop and i want some input as to which way i should go. Air cooling or Liquid cooling. If i were to get either one these are my choices.

CoolIt Systems Freezone CPU Cooler - TEC Water Cooling
http://xoxide.com/coolit-systems-tec-water-cooling.html

OR

Sunbeam / Tuniq T-120 CPU Cooler
http://xoxide.com/tuniq-t-120-hsf.html

Im just sick of trying to decide whether to liquid or air cool and i need some resolution here. THANK YOU ALL!!

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Hey all,

I am building a new rig around the Core 2 Duo 6600 chip and eVGA 680i motherboard. I am going to be overclocking this thing to the last drop and i want some input as to which way i should go. Air cooling or Liquid cooling. If i were to get either one these are my choices.

OR

Im just sick of trying to decide whether to liquid or air cool and i need some resolution here. THANK YOU ALL!!

Just to add more confusion, realize that you could do the stock HSF for a while and save up for a Vapochill or LN2 setup. If you really want the "last drop" of OC'ing, I don't think either of your choices will get you there. Do some reading on Xtreme Systems and see what the big boyz use.

Bl4d3

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
for $800 to $1k is not what im looking for. the liquid cooling (phase cooler they call it) for $300 is actually more than i wanted to spend.

Bl4d3

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
do you actually own the galaxy or have you just read reviews. and by the way that liquid cooler i mentioned in the first post is actually a phase cooler for 299.99 so its pretty cool. i was also looking at the galaxy but im still unsure.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Microcenter is selling the Titan Robella watercooling case with all you need inside for cpu and vga watercooling built in for under $200.

I was hesitant, but dove in, and wow, my 6600 is at ~ 39c on load, and at 43c on load with it OCd to 3.15, steady running Orthos.

Good to go, and cheap to boot!

Did replace the 1/4 lines with 3/8, but they give you a lot of additional connectors, easy to do.

Bl4d3

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2006
hmm well 3.15 is not too impressive for what this chip can do. also your temps are running a bit hot for just a little overclock like that...

ThatGuy5256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
If you read the post about tec and WCing below this one it has a lot of good info, it brought to my attention that the galaxy might not be that great but it is
definately better then a lot of the after market air coolers i have had. Hopefully I love tacos will respond and I will be enlightened :?

heycarnut

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
...and by the way that liquid cooler i mentioned in the first post is actually a phase cooler ....

This is a water cooler, and the fluid (polypropylene glycol and water) is chilled by a half dozen TECs in the cooling box (as opposed to TEC on the cpu in a water loop.) In any case, not in any way a phase change system. Still quite cool, no pun intended, I had one to play with for awhile, and it will cool quite a bit better than the Tuniq - I played with both on a mildly overclocked prescott (read: space heater), so I'd venture a conroe would be a cakewalk for either.

R

crualtortus

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
hey guys im thinking of buying that galaxy II thing. but i want to add a block for my X1900xt. what blocks will work well but not be too expensive? i dont need the best one as im not even sure i will oc the card... just looking to have a gpu block cause it will be smaller, a little cooler, and silent.

ThatGuy5256

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
I would go with the blue eye also made by gigabyte, fits perfect with the gigabyte spliters already in place from the galaxy system and it matches, cooling is fine, I worried about the ram not getting enough cooling but the 16 ram sinks they give you work like a charm

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Hey all,

OR

Just to add more confusion, realize that you could do the stock HSF for a while and save up for a Vapochill or LN2 setup. If you really want the "last drop" of OC'ing, I don't think either of your choices will get you there. Do some reading on Xtreme Systems and see what the big boyz use.
I'll second that.
after the last four or five related threads like this I expected you to be more agressive :lol:

rwaritsdario

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
OCing to the last drop = Overvolting like there's no tomorrow = CoolIt dying.
If you arent up to make your own water cooling loop, pick the one from Swiftech that best suits your needs.

@kwalker&Clue:
Keep it real boys :wink:

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
@kwalker&Clue:
I'm always real
8)

Lucky you! I am an algorythm.

(As opposed to an AlGorerythm)

:lol:
well then you must be a real Algorythm
either that or I've been replied to by a line of code 8O

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
@kwalker&Clue:
I'm always real
8)

Lucky you! I am an algorythm.

(As opposed to an AlGorerythm)

:lol:
well then you must be a real Algorythm
either that or I've been replied to by a line of code 8O

//rhythm overload error//processor overheat condition critical//

kwalker

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
Next question: What is the best pasive cooler for extreme OCing? :lol:
<cfset bottles = 99>
<cfloop from="99" to="1" step="-1" index="countdown">
<cfoutput>
#countdown# bottles of beer on the wall,<BR> #countdown# bottles of beer...
<cfset countdown = #countdown#-1>
<p> take one down...<br> pass it around...<br> #countdown# bottles of beer on the wall! <br>
<br></cfoutput>
</cfloop>