Adding another IDE HD to existing SATA drives.....

bruce10

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
I have 2 SATA drives in non-RAID configuration. Motherboard is an ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. When I plugged the original drives into SATA ports 1 & 2, they appear in BIOS as 3rd and 4th IDE (SATA ports 3 & 4 are IDE 5th and 6th). As well as 3rd through 6th IDE, I also see Primary IDE and Secondary IDE, both of these two have also a "master" and "slave" subset. My 2 DVD drives appear on the Secondary IDE slot in BIOS, and are cabled to the Secondary IDE port on the motherboard.

I have installed the OS (WinXP) and the system is working OK. I now wish to introduce a drive from an older machine (IDE), which has no OS on it but lots of useful data. I cabled this to the Primary IDE connector on the motherboard, and figured I would see this drive in BIOS on the Primary IDE. But it's not showing up in BIOS at all, and of course neither in XP.

What are the rules regarding mixing IDE and SATA drives? I think I am doing something wrong.

Thanks- Bruce.

sturm

Splendid
Jumper set correctly? If its a Western digital drive and its the only drive on the cable remove the jumper completely. Only use a jumper if its in a master and slave (2 drive) configuration.
Try running the auto-detect in the bios to see if it sees it then.

bruce10

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2006
Thanks sturm. Yes, it is a WD drive and I did not remove the jumper (tried it in both CS and Master positions), but will now try it without the jumper.

I have the IDE detect in Auto in BIOS, so figure that I'm already doing the autodetect.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated. Lots of knowledge here at the forumz.

Bruce.