Formatting Hard Drive

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Hi All,
I would like to format my win2k hard drive, but I can't find my windows
disk. I downloaded a boot disk (floopy), so pc boots up and then runs dos.
Then I try and run command format c: but with no success, it says invalid
format.com. If I run Fdisk, it can only delete the partition, without
actually formatting existing one - what do I do?
Cheers

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:48:09 +0000 (UTC), "george"
<nospam@btinternet.com> wrote:
>I would like to format my win2k hard drive, but I can't find my windows
>disk. I downloaded a boot disk (floopy), so pc boots up and then runs dos.
>Then I try and run command format c: but with no success, it says invalid
>format.com. If I run Fdisk, it can only delete the partition, without
>actually formatting existing one - what do I do?

As a GUESS, you need to make sure the format.com you have on the
boot floopy is the same version as the DOS that boots, or try to
find some other utility that will do the same thing

John Thomas Smith
http://www.direct2usales.com
http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith

To what end? To wipe the drive, some ways include; boot a win98 startup
disk, run fdisk and delete all partition information found (as long as NTFS
is primary). Or boot the Windows 2000 CD-Rom or setup disks and when you get
to the point, delete the existing NTFS and or other partitions found, then
abort the install. Or use a utility named delpart.

ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/bussys/winnt/winnt-public/reskit/nt31/i386/RESKIT.EXE

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]