User Can't Login

have a 2K SP4 box that I can't get back into. During the istall
process, the first ID was created as "First M. Last-D" . After using this
ID, which automatically logged in, for about a month, I created a second ID
"Firstname" for a co-workser to use. Now when the original id is tried, it
says the username or password isn't correct.

I did login with the second ID and check the spelling of the name and reset
the password but still couldn't login.

This system is not part of a Domain, just a stand alone box. How do I login
using the ID "First M. Last-D" again? No matter what I type, it donesn't
like it.

Thanks

Logon as local administrator and change the password for that account.

--
Regards,

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Bob Postings" wrote:
| have a 2K SP4 box that I can't get back into. During the istall
| process, the first ID was created as "First M. Last-D" . After using
this
| ID, which automatically logged in, for about a month, I created a second
ID
| "Firstname" for a co-workser to use. Now when the original id is tried,
it
| says the username or password isn't correct.
|
| I did login with the second ID and check the spelling of the name and
reset
| the password but still couldn't login.
|
| This system is not part of a Domain, just a stand alone box. How do I
login
| using the ID "First M. Last-D" again? No matter what I type, it donesn't
| like it.
|
| Thanks

As I stated in my original post, "I did login with the second ID and check
the spelling of the name and reset the password but still couldn't login."

So, what now?

"Dave Patrick" <mail@Nospam.DSPatrick.com> wrote in message
> Logon as local administrator and change the password for that account.
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect
>
> "Bob Postings" wrote:
> | have a 2K SP4 box that I can't get back into. During the istall
> | process, the first ID was created as "First M. Last-D" . After using
> this
> | ID, which automatically logged in, for about a month, I created a second
> ID
> | "Firstname" for a co-workser to use. Now when the original id is tried,
> it
> | says the username or password isn't correct.
> |
> | I did login with the second ID and check the spelling of the name and
> reset
> | the password but still couldn't login.
> |
> | This system is not part of a Domain, just a stand alone box. How do I
> login
> | using the ID "First M. Last-D" again? No matter what I type, it
> donesn't
> | like it.
> |
> | Thanks

The profile might be corrupt. Or possibly the account was renamed?

--

"Bob Postings" wrote:
| As I stated in my original post, "I did login with the second ID and check
| the spelling of the name and reset the password but still couldn't login."
|
| So, what now?

Thanks Dave -
No, the account wan't renamed and yes there are spaces in the name: "First
M. Last-D"

This is how it appears in the "User" list and how it was spelled on the
Login page ( space between "t" and "M" and "L")

Any ideas?

> Possibly spaces in the username?
>
> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft Certified Professional
> Microsoft MVP [Windows]
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Seems one or the other must be incorrect. I would avoid using spaces in the
username. There might have been a double space in one, the other or both
places.