carzyconker91

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
hi guys im getting problems with fps in cs source i upgraded from a 7800gt to a 8800gts and im averaging like 60fps the same as my 7800gt! and im getting gray colors from a distence in css its very wierd. I downloaded the driver online (because my cdr drive is broken) but i herd your suppose to remove the old ones which sounded wierd so i didnt do that because i also herd that the new drivers also auto deleate the old ones so i was kinda confused so i just downloaded the new driver without removing anything. the only problems ive had so far was the gray color in cs source but i havent seen a huge fps boost. its like im runnin a 8800 and a 7800 speed lol i think its driver problem please help thank you.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
have you heardd of Vsync? Vsync is a "thing" (lack of words) that syncs every frame and by doing that your frame rates do not go over 60fps.

There are two ways you can disable Vsync. One is through the Nvidia options themselves and the other is through the game. In advanced options on CS:S there should be a box th click Vsync off. Turn Vsync off and your frames should boost up a great deal.

To the extent to how much they boost up will matter upon what CPU you have and whether or not your 8800GTS will be bottlenecked by your CPU. Meaning that your CPU is not great enough to handle your video card. Either way you should see an increase in fps by turning off Vsync. If you would like to play around with the video card options you can IM me on AIM - Novak921 and I can guide you through it.

As for your the "greyness" you say you see I do not know about that. Also from my experience you do not need to uninstall the old drivers as the new ones should overwrite the old ones always.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
yeah to play it safe if you know how to do it and just want to rule out that being a problem then go for it, shouldn't effect the card at all

when you do turn Vsync off post back how much fps you get now out of curiousity