Sign in with
Your question

Unexplained stuttering problem.

Last response: in Systems
January 3, 2007 4:07:32 AM

As the subject says, I have a problem with my desktop stuttering from time to time. I thought it was just a problem with games and such but now it even does it with the Windows screen saver (3D flowerbox). I've tried removing the graphics drivers and reinstalling, updating BIOS, and went back to standard clock speeds on everything and yet it still does it. It's like the system hangs for a half second and then goes on. I would say it repeats this cycle about every 3-5 secs. so it's very annoying to say the least.

A problem that I found out after purchasing all of my parts, was that the nForce 3 250 had some issues with the GeForce 6 series and causes stuttering issues. I had this fixed though by disabling fast writes through the BIOS and didn't have any problems for a good while.

This is the current setup:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Epox 9NDA3I
SeaSonic 380W
eVGA GeForce 6800

The funny thing is that I used to have the gc unlocked with 16 pipes and oc to 400/900 without any problems and now it hangs up either way (oc or not) so I'm thinking it might be a software or driver issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
January 3, 2007 8:43:09 AM

yep,
probably PSU
try with a new one from a friend, or at the store
January 3, 2007 9:29:12 AM

Download SeaTools.. Its a seagate HDD diagnostic utility. A failing HDD can also cause your system to stutter/freeze for a few seconds while the ill drive is finding its feet.

Some symptoms of a failing HDD:
1. Slow boot times
2. Long waits before a simple folder can be opened
3. Audio going scratchy
4. Unexplained missing files/corruptions
5. Jittering, stuttering when accessing data (causes everything to pause until data is read)
6. Ticking noise coming from HDD during a read/write session

The list goes on...
Related resources
January 3, 2007 10:16:45 AM

Sounds like HD to me! :cry: 

back up everything you can now!!!!!!

as previously stated seagate webiste has excellent disk diagnostic tool.
January 3, 2007 10:32:29 AM

glasssplinter, can you post your entire pc specs? (HDDs, optical drives, etc etc) Also, if you open your case, locate your PSU, and post us the info (power ratings) you see on it.

Then we can see if it is the PSU. Chances are that is is the HDD tho, your system is showing the symptoms of HDD failure...
January 3, 2007 10:45:21 AM

The data on that PSU looks legit.. They even have a pic of the actual sticker that the PSU comes with..
January 3, 2007 3:28:39 PM

Okay, thanks for all the help. I'm going to try checking the hard dives and see where that leads. One problem with it is that I'm running RAID 0 which limits some of the diagnostics I can do in Windows.

The entire system:

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (oc to 2.6 with +.1 Vcore)
1 Gb Cosair XMS PC3200 (2x512Mb)
2 Optical drives (1 DVD burner, 1 DVD Rom)
Soundblaster Live!
GeForce 6800 AGP
2 SATA HD (2x250Gb Raid 0)
1 IDE HD 250Gb
3 120mm fans
1 80mm fan
1 92mm on HS
Wireless card

On the PSU it has:
+3.3V 22A
+5V 21A
+12V1 10A
+12V2 15A

The picture from Newegg was correct in all of the specs.

Anything else just let me know, I'll run that Seatools after posting and post results. Thanks
January 3, 2007 7:28:40 PM

Okay, ran Sea tools on the array (quick and full) and came back with 0 errors on everything.

Even if the PSU was failing or couldn't provide enough power, wouldn't it seem strange that even the Windows screensaver wouldn't run properly? I would think it wouldn't require that much to do that but then again maybe not.
January 3, 2007 9:13:47 PM

Did some more testing and messed with the PSU and how it was all connected. Moved everything but the gc onto the smaller 12v rail and tried again. Same thing. Started going through the running software and closing one at a time until the problem was fixed (hopefully). Seems to be my antivirus software was doing something that messed up the system. Once I closed that, ran GTA LC with 8x AA and 16x AF with 16 pipes and oc'ed to 400/900 and it ran just fine at around 100 fps. That's running on a 1280x1024x32 so I'm guessing that's about the normal. I'll just have to troubleshoot the software from here on out. Thanks for all the input.
!