Rollup is now available

"Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
news:48j5c1l23mvaq0ujh9ho5s9ur9iasascdp@4ax.com...
> Sorry if someone has already alerted ... if so, I haven't seen the
> post. For those who have sp4, the new rollup is available at the
> Windows Update site.
>
> Art
>
> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
as well issue a new service pack.

From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>

| "Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
>> Sorry if someone has already alerted ... if so, I haven't seen the
>> post. For those who have sp4, the new rollup is available at the
>> Windows Update site.
>>
>> Art
>>
>> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
|
| It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
| as well issue a new service pack.

A rose by any other name...

The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

> From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>
>
> | "Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
> >> Sorry if someone has already alerted ... if so, I haven't seen the
> >> post. For those who have sp4, the new rollup is available at the
> >> Windows Update site.
> >>
> >> Art
> >>
> >> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
> |
> | It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update?
May
> | as well issue a new service pack.
> |

> A rose by any other name...
>
> The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Why do users need a 31 meg rollup when they have been installing monthly
security fixes via automatic updates?

From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>

| Why do users need a 31 meg rollup when they have been installing monthly
| security fixes via automatic updates?

Read the web page ! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

"...Update Rollup 1 contains additional important fixes in files that have not previously
been part of individual security updates..."

--

> From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>
>

> | Why do users need a 31 meg rollup when they have been installing monthly
> | security fixes via automatic updates?
> |

> Read the web page ! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861
>
> "...Update Rollup 1 contains additional important fixes in files that have
not previously
> been part of individual security updates..."
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

It states right on the front "This update consists of previously released
recommended, critical and security updates for Windows 2000, rolled into one
convenient package. Installing this item provides you the same results as
installing the individual updates." So what's the matter? Windows Update
can't detect which individual updates to install anymore?

From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>

| It states right on the front "This update consists of previously released
| recommended, critical and security updates for Windows 2000, rolled into one
| convenient package. Installing this item provides you the same results as
| installing the individual updates." So what's the matter? Windows Update
| can't detect which individual updates to install anymore?

You still didn't read the web page URL I provided.

> From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>
>

> | It states right on the front "This update consists of previously
released
> | recommended, critical and security updates for Windows 2000, rolled into
one
> | convenient package. Installing this item provides you the same results
as
> | installing the individual updates." So what's the matter? Windows
Update
> | can't detect which individual updates to install anymore?
> |

> You still didn't read the web page URL I provided.
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861
>
> "...Update Rollup 1 contains additional important fixes in files that have
not previously
> been part of individual security updates..."
>
> --
> Dave
> http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Actually I did. It lists the dozens of older security updates in the
rollup. So why didn't they allow individual installs of the "additional
important fixes in files that have not previously been part of individual
security updates"? Windows Update can't detect which individual updates to
install anymore? Sorry if it sounds like I'm giving you a hard time but it
doesn't make sense to re-download all the couple years' worth of old
security updates.

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:30:41 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>| It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
>| as well issue a new service pack.
>|

>A rose by any other name...
>
>The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?

Reinstalling the OS and having to d/l tons of updates again :)

With Win 98 and ME I had always kept a backup drive on a removeable
tray. I clone using XXCOPY. I then power down, remove the cloned
bootable drive, and put it on a shelf. In the event of h.d. failure,
I'm back in business very quickly and easily.

I wasn't sure what I would wind up doing with Win 2K but I just now
tried out XXCLONE from the same company:

http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm

It made a bootable cloned drive very quickly. In fact, I disabled my
main drive and I'm running right now from the clone ... a secondary
master. It works fine.

I like this apparoach very much. No sector cloning and restriction
that the backup drive must be about the same size. My main drive
is 60 gig, my clone is only 7.6 gig, and I use less than 3 gig right
now. I use older smaller drives for backup that have been tested
using utils from the drive manufacturers.

And XXCLONE is free for personal use.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

| On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:30:41 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
| <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
|
>|> It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
>|> as well issue a new service pack.
>|>
>> A rose by any other name...
>>
>> The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?
|
| Reinstalling the OS and having to d/l tons of updates again :)
|
| With Win 98 and ME I had always kept a backup drive on a removeable
| tray. I clone using XXCOPY. I then power down, remove the cloned
| bootable drive, and put it on a shelf. In the event of h.d. failure,
| I'm back in business very quickly and easily.
|
| I wasn't sure what I would wind up doing with Win 2K but I just now
| tried out XXCLONE from the same company:
|
| http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm
|
| It made a bootable cloned drive very quickly. In fact, I disabled my
| main drive and I'm running right now from the clone ... a secondary
| master. It works fine.
|
| I like this apparoach very much. No sector cloning and restriction
| that the backup drive must be about the same size. My main drive
| is 60 gig, my clone is only 7.6 gig, and I use less than 3 gig right
| now. I use older smaller drives for backup that have been tested
| using utils from the drive manufacturers.
|
| And XXCLONE is free for personal use.
|
| Art
|
| http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Art:

The objective is to slip-stream the i386 installation files with SP4 and the RollUp. This
way when you re-install the OS you are at the latest level and only need those patches that
are NOT included in SP4 and the Security RollUp.

Although when you run the EXE with the '/?' switch it idicates it it will use the
'/integrate:<path>' switch I found it also interprets the older '/s:<path>' switch as well.

So if the the i386 folder is in the root of drive "D:" you can slip-stream the d:\i386
folder by the following command to slip-stream the folder...

Sec_RollUp.exe /s:d:\

{ the actual EXE file has a more complicated name and I used the above to simplify it}

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:11:10 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

>>> A rose by any other name...
>>>
>>> The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?
>|
>| Reinstalling the OS and having to d/l tons of updates again :)
>|
>| With Win 98 and ME I had always kept a backup drive on a removeable
>| tray. I clone using XXCOPY. I then power down, remove the cloned
>| bootable drive, and put it on a shelf. In the event of h.d. failure,
>| I'm back in business very quickly and easily.
>|
>| I wasn't sure what I would wind up doing with Win 2K but I just now
>| tried out XXCLONE from the same company:
>|
>| http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm
>|
>| It made a bootable cloned drive very quickly. In fact, I disabled my
>| main drive and I'm running right now from the clone ... a secondary
>| master. It works fine.
>|
>| I like this apparoach very much. No sector cloning and restriction
>| that the backup drive must be about the same size. My main drive
>| is 60 gig, my clone is only 7.6 gig, and I use less than 3 gig right
>| now. I use older smaller drives for backup that have been tested
>| using utils from the drive manufacturers.
>|
>| And XXCLONE is free for personal use.
>|
>| Art
>|
>| http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
>

>Art:
>
>The objective is to slip-stream the i386 installation files with SP4 and the RollUp. This
>way when you re-install the OS you are at the latest level and only need those patches that
>are NOT included in SP4 and the Security RollUp.
>
>Although when you run the EXE with the '/?' switch it idicates it it will use the
>'/integrate:<path>' switch I found it also interprets the older '/s:<path>' switch as well.
>
>So if the the i386 folder is in the root of drive "D:" you can slip-stream the d:\i386
>folder by the following command to slip-stream the folder...
>
>Sec_RollUp.exe /s:d:\
>
>{ the actual EXE file has a more complicated name and I used the above to simplify it}

??? I don't get it. Why reinstall the OS, motherboard drivers, etc.,
when you don't have to? I wouldn't want to have to do all my OS
settings over again either. Nor do I want to have to d/l my apps and
set them up all over again.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

| ??? I don't get it. Why reinstall the OS, motherboard drivers, etc.,
| when you don't have to? I wouldn't want to have to do all my OS
| settings over again either. Nor do I want to have to d/l my apps and
| set them up all over again.
|
| Art
|
| http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Well if you administer many computers cloning is not an option except if they are they same
model. A clone image is only good for platforms with the same motherboard chip-sets. If
the platforms are too different then you must install at some point from scaratch and it is
*much* better to install from a slip-streamed i386 folder than not to. When I install Win2K
from scratch I format the hard disk with FAT32 and copy a slip-streamed i386 folder to the
root of the "C:" drive and then execute c:\i386\winnt.exe to install the OS slip-streamed to
SP4 and now Security RollUp 1 level.

BTW: If you copy the i386 folder from a CDROM to the hard disk and you install a Service
Pack then you SHOULD slip-stream the i386 folder to that Service pack level and the same
goes for the Security RollUp. If you don't, you risk corrupting the OS by installing an
older version DLL/EXE file.

If you do copy the i386 folder to the hard disk, and slip-stream it, after the installation
from a CDROM, then the following Registry setting should point to the i386 folder.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
SourcePath=<path>

If the i386 folder is copied to the root of "C:" (c:\i386), SourcePath=c:\

If the i386 folder is copied to "C:\winnt\options" (C:\winnt\options\i386),
SourcePath=C:\winnt\options\

This way if you make a change to the OS and the OS needs files from the i386 folder, the OS
gets the correct version files without requiring the CDROM and risking installing an 'older
version' file.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:59:02 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>| ??? I don't get it. Why reinstall the OS, motherboard drivers, etc.,
>| when you don't have to? I wouldn't want to have to do all my OS
>| settings over again either. Nor do I want to have to d/l my apps and
>| set them up all over again.
>
>Well if you administer many computers cloning is not an option except if they are they same
>model.

Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

| Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
| That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.
|
| Art
|
| http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

Art:

It is NOT an option across dissimilar platforms. For example creating an image generated on
a Dell GX400 and restore the image on a Dell GX240. The GX240 will either fail to load the
OS or generate a BSoD.

I know because I used Enterprise Symantec Ghost to deploy numerous platforms, over Ethernet,
in a corporate environment. Using the multi-cast IP capabilities in Enterprise Ghost I
could restore one image to *many* destination platforms at the same time. I also tested
restoring across models.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:33:38 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
<DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

>| Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
>| That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.
>
>It is NOT an option across dissimilar platforms. For example creating an image generated on
>a Dell GX400 and restore the image on a Dell GX240. The GX240 will either fail to load the
>OS or generate a BSoD.

??? Why would you try "restoring" an image to a "dissimilar"
platform? Doesn't make sense. You obviously have to clone each drive
to its own backup drive.

I "administer" two entirely different machines ... the one I use and
the Hp Paviion my wife uses with Win ME. Each has its own bootable
backup clone.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

"Bob I"
Thanks Bob. That's a good reference

"Bob I"
Thanks Bob. That's a good reference!

You're welcome.

Oldtimer wrote:

> "Bob I"
> Thanks Bob. That's a good reference

Art, it's different when you are ultimately responsible for 30,000 machines.
Quite different.

> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:33:38 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
> <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
>
> >| Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
> >| That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.
> >
> >It is NOT an option across dissimilar platforms. For example creating an
image generated on
> >a Dell GX400 and restore the image on a Dell GX240. The GX240 will
either fail to load the
> >OS or generate a BSoD.
>
> ??? Why would you try "restoring" an image to a "dissimilar"
> platform? Doesn't make sense. You obviously have to clone each drive
> to its own backup drive.
>
> I "administer" two entirely different machines ... the one I use and
> the Hp Paviion my wife uses with Win ME. Each has its own bootable
> backup clone.
>
> Art
>
> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:54:38 GMT, "Colon Terminus"
<Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Art, it's different when you are ultimately responsible for 30,000 machines.
>Quite different.

LOL! The mental image of 30,000 backup drives "sitting on a shelf" is
indeed amusing. You have a point :)

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

| On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:54:38 GMT, "Colon Terminus"
| <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote:
|
>> Art, it's different when you are ultimately responsible for 30,000 machines.
>> Quite different.
|
| LOL! The mental image of 30,000 backup drives "sitting on a shelf" is
| indeed amusing. You have a point :)
|
| Art
|
| http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

And that's why a corporate level imaging package such as Enterprise Ghost comes in handy.
The data resides in Ghost GHO (and GHS) files and can be restored to destination as simply
as putting in a Ghost Boot Disk and booting from it. Then initiating an over the wire image
restoration. The chassis never needs to be even opened. And as I indicated previously, if
10 systems need to be deployed, you can restore the image to the 10 destination platforms at
the same time using the multi-cast IP capabilities of Enterprise Ghost.