post. For those who have sp4, the new rollup is available at the
Windows Update site.

Art

http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
22 answers Last reply
More about rollup available

    "Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
    news:48j5c1l23mvaq0ujh9ho5s9ur9iasascdp@4ax.com...
    > Sorry if someone has already alerted ... if so, I haven't seen the
    > post. For those who have sp4, the new rollup is available at the
    > Windows Update site.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
    as well issue a new service pack.

    From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>

    | "Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
    >> Sorry if someone has already alerted ... if so, I haven't seen the
    >> post. For those who have sp4, the new rollup is available at the
    >> Windows Update site.
    >>
    >> Art
    >>
    >> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
    |
    | It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
    | as well issue a new service pack.

    A rose by any other name...

    The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>
    >
    > | "Art" <null@zilch.com> wrote in message
    > >> Sorry if someone has already alerted ... if so, I haven't seen the
    > >> post. For those who have sp4, the new rollup is available at the
    > >> Windows Update site.
    > >>
    > >> Art
    > >>
    > >> http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
    > |
    > | It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update?
    May
    > | as well issue a new service pack.
    > |

    > A rose by any other name...
    >
    > The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Why do users need a 31 meg rollup when they have been installing monthly
    security fixes via automatic updates?

    From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>

    | Why do users need a 31 meg rollup when they have been installing monthly
    | security fixes via automatic updates?

    Read the web page ! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

    "...Update Rollup 1 contains additional important fixes in files that have not previously
    been part of individual security updates..."

    --

    > From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>
    >

    > | Why do users need a 31 meg rollup when they have been installing monthly
    > | security fixes via automatic updates?
    > |

    > Read the web page ! http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861
    >
    > "...Update Rollup 1 contains additional important fixes in files that have
    not previously
    > been part of individual security updates..."
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    It states right on the front "This update consists of previously released
    recommended, critical and security updates for Windows 2000, rolled into one
    convenient package. Installing this item provides you the same results as
    installing the individual updates." So what's the matter? Windows Update
    can't detect which individual updates to install anymore?

    From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>

    | It states right on the front "This update consists of previously released
    | recommended, critical and security updates for Windows 2000, rolled into one
    | convenient package. Installing this item provides you the same results as
    | installing the individual updates." So what's the matter? Windows Update
    | can't detect which individual updates to install anymore?

    You still didn't read the web page URL I provided.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861

    "...Update Rollup 1 contains additional important fixes in files that have not previously
    been part of individual security updates..."

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    > From: "Nubme" <noone@nubme.noone.com>
    >

    > | It states right on the front "This update consists of previously
    released
    > | recommended, critical and security updates for Windows 2000, rolled into
    one
    > | convenient package. Installing this item provides you the same results
    as
    > | installing the individual updates." So what's the matter? Windows
    Update
    > | can't detect which individual updates to install anymore?
    > |

    > You still didn't read the web page URL I provided.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891861
    >
    > "...Update Rollup 1 contains additional important fixes in files that have
    not previously
    > been part of individual security updates..."
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Actually I did. It lists the dozens of older security updates in the
    rollup. So why didn't they allow individual installs of the "additional
    important fixes in files that have not previously been part of individual
    security updates"? Windows Update can't detect which individual updates to
    install anymore? Sorry if it sounds like I'm giving you a hard time but it
    doesn't make sense to re-download all the couple years' worth of old
    security updates.
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:30:41 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >| It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
    >| as well issue a new service pack.
    >|

    >A rose by any other name...
    >
    >The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?

    Reinstalling the OS and having to d/l tons of updates again :)

    With Win 98 and ME I had always kept a backup drive on a removeable
    tray. I clone using XXCOPY. I then power down, remove the cloned
    bootable drive, and put it on a shelf. In the event of h.d. failure,
    I'm back in business very quickly and easily.

    I wasn't sure what I would wind up doing with Win 2K but I just now
    tried out XXCLONE from the same company:

    http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm

    It made a bootable cloned drive very quickly. In fact, I disabled my
    main drive and I'm running right now from the clone ... a secondary
    master. It works fine.

    I like this apparoach very much. No sector cloning and restriction
    that the backup drive must be about the same size. My main drive
    is 60 gig, my clone is only 7.6 gig, and I use less than 3 gig right
    now. I use older smaller drives for backup that have been tested
    using utils from the drive manufacturers.

    And XXCLONE is free for personal use.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

    | On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 16:30:41 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    | <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    |
    >|> It is available on Windows Update. Why is it a whopper 31 meg update? May
    >|> as well issue a new service pack.
    >|>
    >> A rose by any other name...
    >>
    >> The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?
    |
    | Reinstalling the OS and having to d/l tons of updates again :)
    |
    | With Win 98 and ME I had always kept a backup drive on a removeable
    | tray. I clone using XXCOPY. I then power down, remove the cloned
    | bootable drive, and put it on a shelf. In the event of h.d. failure,
    | I'm back in business very quickly and easily.
    |
    | I wasn't sure what I would wind up doing with Win 2K but I just now
    | tried out XXCLONE from the same company:
    |
    | http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm
    |
    | It made a bootable cloned drive very quickly. In fact, I disabled my
    | main drive and I'm running right now from the clone ... a secondary
    | master. It works fine.
    |
    | I like this apparoach very much. No sector cloning and restriction
    | that the backup drive must be about the same size. My main drive
    | is 60 gig, my clone is only 7.6 gig, and I use less than 3 gig right
    | now. I use older smaller drives for backup that have been tested
    | using utils from the drive manufacturers.
    |
    | And XXCLONE is free for personal use.
    |
    | Art
    |
    | http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    Art:

    The objective is to slip-stream the i386 installation files with SP4 and the RollUp. This
    way when you re-install the OS you are at the latest level and only need those patches that
    are NOT included in SP4 and the Security RollUp.

    Although when you run the EXE with the '/?' switch it idicates it it will use the
    '/integrate:<path>' switch I found it also interprets the older '/s:<path>' switch as well.

    So if the the i386 folder is in the root of drive "D:" you can slip-stream the d:\i386
    folder by the following command to slip-stream the folder...

    Sec_RollUp.exe /s:d:\

    { the actual EXE file has a more complicated name and I used the above to simplify it}

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:11:10 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

    >>> A rose by any other name...
    >>>
    >>> The last SP was ~ 128MB. So the rollup is 31MB. What's the problem ?
    >|
    >| Reinstalling the OS and having to d/l tons of updates again :)
    >|
    >| With Win 98 and ME I had always kept a backup drive on a removeable
    >| tray. I clone using XXCOPY. I then power down, remove the cloned
    >| bootable drive, and put it on a shelf. In the event of h.d. failure,
    >| I'm back in business very quickly and easily.
    >|
    >| I wasn't sure what I would wind up doing with Win 2K but I just now
    >| tried out XXCLONE from the same company:
    >|
    >| http://xxclone.com/idwnload.htm
    >|
    >| It made a bootable cloned drive very quickly. In fact, I disabled my
    >| main drive and I'm running right now from the clone ... a secondary
    >| master. It works fine.
    >|
    >| I like this apparoach very much. No sector cloning and restriction
    >| that the backup drive must be about the same size. My main drive
    >| is 60 gig, my clone is only 7.6 gig, and I use less than 3 gig right
    >| now. I use older smaller drives for backup that have been tested
    >| using utils from the drive manufacturers.
    >|
    >| And XXCLONE is free for personal use.
    >|
    >| Art
    >|
    >| http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
    >

    >Art:
    >
    >The objective is to slip-stream the i386 installation files with SP4 and the RollUp. This
    >way when you re-install the OS you are at the latest level and only need those patches that
    >are NOT included in SP4 and the Security RollUp.
    >
    >Although when you run the EXE with the '/?' switch it idicates it it will use the
    >'/integrate:<path>' switch I found it also interprets the older '/s:<path>' switch as well.
    >
    >So if the the i386 folder is in the root of drive "D:" you can slip-stream the d:\i386
    >folder by the following command to slip-stream the folder...
    >
    >Sec_RollUp.exe /s:d:\
    >
    >{ the actual EXE file has a more complicated name and I used the above to simplify it}

    ??? I don't get it. Why reinstall the OS, motherboard drivers, etc.,
    when you don't have to? I wouldn't want to have to do all my OS
    settings over again either. Nor do I want to have to d/l my apps and
    set them up all over again.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

    | ??? I don't get it. Why reinstall the OS, motherboard drivers, etc.,
    | when you don't have to? I wouldn't want to have to do all my OS
    | settings over again either. Nor do I want to have to d/l my apps and
    | set them up all over again.
    |
    | Art
    |
    | http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    Well if you administer many computers cloning is not an option except if they are they same
    model. A clone image is only good for platforms with the same motherboard chip-sets. If
    the platforms are too different then you must install at some point from scaratch and it is
    *much* better to install from a slip-streamed i386 folder than not to. When I install Win2K
    from scratch I format the hard disk with FAT32 and copy a slip-streamed i386 folder to the
    root of the "C:" drive and then execute c:\i386\winnt.exe to install the OS slip-streamed to
    SP4 and now Security RollUp 1 level.

    BTW: If you copy the i386 folder from a CDROM to the hard disk and you install a Service
    Pack then you SHOULD slip-stream the i386 folder to that Service pack level and the same
    goes for the Security RollUp. If you don't, you risk corrupting the OS by installing an
    older version DLL/EXE file.

    If you do copy the i386 folder to the hard disk, and slip-stream it, after the installation
    from a CDROM, then the following Registry setting should point to the i386 folder.

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    SourcePath=<path>

    If the i386 folder is copied to the root of "C:" (c:\i386), SourcePath=c:\

    If the i386 folder is copied to "C:\winnt\options" (C:\winnt\options\i386),
    SourcePath=C:\winnt\options\

    This way if you make a change to the OS and the OS needs files from the i386 folder, the OS
    gets the correct version files without requiring the CDROM and risking installing an 'older
    version' file.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:59:02 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >| ??? I don't get it. Why reinstall the OS, motherboard drivers, etc.,
    >| when you don't have to? I wouldn't want to have to do all my OS
    >| settings over again either. Nor do I want to have to d/l my apps and
    >| set them up all over again.
    >
    >Well if you administer many computers cloning is not an option except if they are they same
    >model.

    Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
    That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

    | Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
    | That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.
    |
    | Art
    |
    | http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    Art:

    It is NOT an option across dissimilar platforms. For example creating an image generated on
    a Dell GX400 and restore the image on a Dell GX240. The GX240 will either fail to load the
    OS or generate a BSoD.

    I know because I used Enterprise Symantec Ghost to deploy numerous platforms, over Ethernet,
    in a corporate environment. Using the multi-cast IP capabilities in Enterprise Ghost I
    could restore one image to *many* destination platforms at the same time. I also tested
    restoring across models.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:33:38 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >| Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
    >| That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.
    >
    >It is NOT an option across dissimilar platforms. For example creating an image generated on
    >a Dell GX400 and restore the image on a Dell GX240. The GX240 will either fail to load the
    >OS or generate a BSoD.

    ??? Why would you try "restoring" an image to a "dissimilar"
    platform? Doesn't make sense. You obviously have to clone each drive
    to its own backup drive.

    I "administer" two entirely different machines ... the one I use and
    the Hp Paviion my wife uses with Win ME. Each has its own bootable
    backup clone.

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Question What is "Slip streaming"??
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    How to slipstream hotfixes that replace pre-existing driver files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814847

    Oldtimer wrote:

    > Question What is "Slip streaming"??
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Bob I"
    Thanks Bob. That's a good reference
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    "Bob I"
    Thanks Bob. That's a good reference!
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    You're welcome.

    Oldtimer wrote:

    > "Bob I"
    > Thanks Bob. That's a good reference
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Art, it's different when you are ultimately responsible for 30,000 machines.
    Quite different.

    > On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 21:33:38 -0400, "David H. Lipman"
    > <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:
    >
    > >| Sure it's an option. Each machine has its own cloned bootable drive.
    > >| That's all. Drives are cheap and cloning is quick.
    > >
    > >It is NOT an option across dissimilar platforms. For example creating an
    image generated on
    > >a Dell GX400 and restore the image on a Dell GX240. The GX240 will
    either fail to load the
    > >OS or generate a BSoD.
    >
    > ??? Why would you try "restoring" an image to a "dissimilar"
    > platform? Doesn't make sense. You obviously have to clone each drive
    > to its own backup drive.
    >
    > I "administer" two entirely different machines ... the one I use and
    > the Hp Paviion my wife uses with Win ME. Each has its own bootable
    > backup clone.
    >
    > Art
    >
    > http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:54:38 GMT, "Colon Terminus"
    <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Art, it's different when you are ultimately responsible for 30,000 machines.
    >Quite different.

    LOL! The mental image of 30,000 backup drives "sitting on a shelf" is
    indeed amusing. You have a point :)

    Art

    http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    From: "Art" <null@zilch.com>

    | On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 16:54:38 GMT, "Colon Terminus"
    | <Colon_Terminus@hotmail.com> wrote:
    |
    >> Art, it's different when you are ultimately responsible for 30,000 machines.
    >> Quite different.
    |
    | LOL! The mental image of 30,000 backup drives "sitting on a shelf" is
    | indeed amusing. You have a point :)
    |
    | Art
    |
    | http://home.epix.net/~artnpeg

    And that's why a corporate level imaging package such as Enterprise Ghost comes in handy.
    The data resides in Ghost GHO (and GHS) files and can be restored to destination as simply
    as putting in a Ghost Boot Disk and booting from it. Then initiating an over the wire image
    restoration. The chassis never needs to be even opened. And as I indicated previously, if
    10 systems need to be deployed, you can restore the image to the 10 destination platforms at
    the same time using the multi-cast IP capabilities of Enterprise Ghost.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Windows Update Microsoft Windows