Question about SATA settings

jba6511

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
I just built my first system and have a question in regards to SATA settings in BIOS. Right now I am running a 320 GB Seagate and a dvd burner that is connected by an IDE. In BIOS under Onboard SATA/IDE ctrl mode, it is currently set to IDE as that was the only way I could get XP to load. Should it be set to AHCI in order to take advanantage of the speeds the drive offers? I do not plan on setting up RAID at the moment.

thelostchild

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
From the wikipedia article
Enabling AHCI in a system BIOS will spawn a 0x7B BSoD STOP error on installations of Windows XP where AHCI/RAID drivers for that system's chipset are not installed. Switching to AHCI requires installing new drivers before changing BIOS settings. Some later versions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 include limited AHCI/SATA support

So I would if you have the drivers :)

jba6511

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2006
i have installed the drivers that support SATA that came with my Gigabyte 965p S3. I am assuming then it is ok to switch?

ok i just made the switch and now the DVD-Burner is not recognized in windows. If i set it back to IDE on the controller then it is recognized again. does anyone know what setting should be changed in bios?