Sign in with
Your question

Quiet, efficient PSU's

Last response: in Components
January 3, 2007 5:09:05 AM

So, I have a DC farm in my apartment (Distributed Computing Farm, or a bunch of PC's doing number crunching). I blew the fuse to my apartment the other day, and decided I needed to do some adjustements to my setup. The main one being PSU's, since I have a hodgepodge of cheap and not-so-cheap PSU's in various platforms.

What PSU, at around 300-400 watts, is the quietest, and most efficient PSU I can get at a reasonable price?

I'm looking at the Antec TruePower 380W. Any suggestions?

I won't be running video cards (I control all my computers from one, unless I need to get into the bios), sound cards ect. Only one hard drive. Most overclocked Athlon64 939 single core processors at stock or slightly higher voltages. Only 1 X2 in the lot.

'Thanks!

More about : quiet efficient psu

January 3, 2007 7:01:21 AM

Unfortunately for me, this place was built in the 70's, and the wiring layout isn't what I'd consider good. I am forced to run all my computers on one 20 amp breaker, along with the rest of my stuff. I know I'm fairly close to the limit, so I would like a little more cushon, and spare maybe 50 watts or so if I can. I have unplugged my 500 watt lamp from the wall however.

I did the calculations, and it seems I only need a 235 watt PSU to run the computers. But because I am a firm believer in a safety margin, I figure 300 watt should be minimum.
January 3, 2007 7:52:02 AM

Quote:

What PSU, at around 300-400 watts, is the quietest, and most efficient PSU I can get at a reasonable price?

I'm looking at the Antec TruePower 380W. Any suggestions?

I wouldn't recommend the Antec. Nothing wrong with it, really, but it's not particularly efficient. Seasonic power supplies are known for their efficiency. Here's a couple for you:

Seasonic 330w There's even a $5 pricegrabber review rebate available on it.

Seasonic 380w

Hope this helps 8)
Related resources
January 4, 2007 3:38:56 AM

just a thought if you crunch while your not home and the house burns then you can get it rewired!!! make sure u got insurance and burn this post! ok this is a joke!

hipro makes the best cheap psu's from - at new egg you can get 3 for the price of a overpriced antec - they are out dated or get 2 nice ones!
January 4, 2007 3:52:44 AM

Quote:
Are you using regular bulbs in your lights or have you made the jump over to compact florecent yet. They cut the wattage needs by 1/3.

I have 2 500 watt halogen torchiere lamps. I have an issue with not having enough light. I like more light than most people do. I think my breaker popped because one light went FUBAR, so I probably won't have an issue, but this was a feeler post to see if there was anything out there that I should really look into.

Thanks guys, I may or may not replace a few of my PSU's (though the 2 350 watt CompUSA ones I got for free are pretty loud....)
January 6, 2007 12:02:41 AM

Do you need that much general room lighting? Those things bounce all the light off the ceiling. How about task lighting instead for the lamps, desk, reading, etc. Instead of the old style lamps with shades that hide all the light, get lamps that can point where you need the light. You can also now get very directed LED bulbs that use a fraction of the juice.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/lights/7aa8/
...for example.
!