BFG Tech 7600gs video issue

psychod

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Spec: Win XP Pro SP2
Motherboard: ASUS A7N266-E
RAM: 1256MB
graphics card: BFG Tech Geforce 7600GS

Issue: Ive very recently bought a BFG Tech Geforce 7600GS AGP x4/x8 graphics card. Since installing the card no MPG's, AVI's, WMV's or any other video file will play on any media player.

things ive tried: windows media player, winamp, vlc player, divx player. that didnt help so I formatted hard drive. reinstalled win xp sp2 and tried again but problem still there. (i did this because i though there may have been conflict with some other or old driver.)

next i tried downloading latest nvidia drivers....that didnt work so i tried some old nvidia drivers...which also didnt work. I then looked at my bios...updated to latest bios version and that hasnt worked.

what does seem to fix it but is not the ideal solution.....is to remove nvidia driver and use default windows driver. the video files all work then. only issue here is i cant raise resolution above 1024x768.

has anyone got any idea why this may be happening?

Molex connector is connected to card.

what happens when i open media player is the cpu usage gose to 100 and the media player seems to crash. after a few mins of trying to open the task manager i can end task on the media player and pc resumes.

Ive got 400watt PSU.

it cant be overheating either as I can play world of warcraft at 1400x900 res (widescreen...i have a widescreen minitor) with full detail turned on and plays like a dream.

XFXSupport

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2006
I have seen this before with AGP video cards. What you need to do is reinstall your motherboard chipset drivers, update them if possible, but at least reinstall them. While your at it, it might be a good idea to check for any bios updates. This should resolve it, but if not let us know.

XFX Support

psychod

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
thanks for the info so far. i really expected this chipset driver install to work. someone else mentioned almost the same thing today about reinstalling the chipset driver.

well ive tried this.....i uninstalled the 7600gs driver first....i went to the asus website and downloaded the latest chipset driver for the MB and installed it.

when i installed it, it asked for reboot which i did then reinstalled the 7600gs driver off the disk that came with it then rebooted.

now the monitor wont come on at all afte the xp logo scree appaears the screen goes black and standby light appears.

so...... i booted in safe mode and removed both the drivers and tried installing them the other way round (7600gs driver first). this also cause the monitors not to come on.

so in theory im back to where i started.

anymore ideas guys

im seriously grateful for the help and advice ive had so far. =)

psychod

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
ive now found out a way of getting the video files to work while the new driver is installed but again its not the most ideal solution.

if I go into directx diagnostics screen, go to display tabe there is a button that says 'disable direct draw acceleration'.... if i disable direct draw acceleration then the videos all work.....in all media players.

(this does mean at this point that i cant play any games.) but if i enable direct draw acceleration again the games works and all video file types stop again.

I havnt quite worked out why this happens but it looks like im getting slightly close to the issue.

just to let you know im using directx 9.0c

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Did you install the AGPgart (not sure of it's name, it's been a while) driver when you installed the motherboard drivers? I believe this is needed on AGP systems for the video card drivers to interface with the motherboard drivers properly.