File size limit on DVD-ROM?

I am unable to read, play or copy a VOB file that is exactly 1 GB (1,048,576
KB) even though I can see it when I explore the disk. Is there a limit to
the size of the VOB file that can be read from a DVD using a DVD-ROM drive in
Windows 2000? Playing in WinDVD gives me an error message saying that the
file has an invalid format. I tried to copy and paste it to my HD, but the
error message says that the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
The disk plays on other computers. I have a Toshiba SD-C2502 DVD-ROM/CD
drive on a PIII 1.1 GHz laptop with 512 MB RAM that has worked fine (the
drive and laptop) so far.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
4 answers Last reply
More about file size limit

    VOB= 1GB max
    http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/vtsguide.php

    pdgcss wrote:

    > I am unable to read, play or copy a VOB file that is exactly 1 GB (1,048,576
    > KB) even though I can see it when I explore the disk. Is there a limit to
    > the size of the VOB file that can be read from a DVD using a DVD-ROM drive in
    > Windows 2000? Playing in WinDVD gives me an error message saying that the
    > file has an invalid format. I tried to copy and paste it to my HD, but the
    > error message says that the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    > The disk plays on other computers. I have a Toshiba SD-C2502 DVD-ROM/CD
    > drive on a PIII 1.1 GHz laptop with 512 MB RAM that has worked fine (the
    > drive and laptop) so far.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    Thank you for the reply. I understand that VOB = 1GB Max, which is the size
    of the VOB file I am trying to read, why is it not being recognized in my
    Windows 2000 machine? BTW, I can't find any new drivers either for the
    DVD-ROM drive. The manufacturer simply refers me to the Windows 2000 driver.

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > VOB= 1GB max
    > http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/vtsguide.php
    >
    > pdgcss wrote:
    >
    > > I am unable to read, play or copy a VOB file that is exactly 1 GB (1,048,576
    > > KB) even though I can see it when I explore the disk. Is there a limit to
    > > the size of the VOB file that can be read from a DVD using a DVD-ROM drive in
    > > Windows 2000? Playing in WinDVD gives me an error message saying that the
    > > file has an invalid format. I tried to copy and paste it to my HD, but the
    > > error message says that the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    > > The disk plays on other computers. I have a Toshiba SD-C2502 DVD-ROM/CD
    > > drive on a PIII 1.1 GHz laptop with 512 MB RAM that has worked fine (the
    > > drive and laptop) so far.
    > >
    > > Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    No idea there, Window 2000 has no native support for DVD's or CD
    writing either for that matter so anthing you will get will have to be
    supplied by the manufacturer. At best without the 3rd party stuff is W2K
    thinking its a CD.

    pdgcss wrote:

    > Thank you for the reply. I understand that VOB = 1GB Max, which is the size
    > of the VOB file I am trying to read, why is it not being recognized in my
    > Windows 2000 machine? BTW, I can't find any new drivers either for the
    > DVD-ROM drive. The manufacturer simply refers me to the Windows 2000 driver.
    >

    > "Bob I" wrote:
    >

    >>VOB= 1GB max
    >>http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/vtsguide.php
    >>
    >>pdgcss wrote:
    >>

    >>>I am unable to read, play or copy a VOB file that is exactly 1 GB (1,048,576
    >>>KB) even though I can see it when I explore the disk. Is there a limit to
    >>>the size of the VOB file that can be read from a DVD using a DVD-ROM drive in
    >>>Windows 2000? Playing in WinDVD gives me an error message saying that the
    >>>file has an invalid format. I tried to copy and paste it to my HD, but the
    >>>error message says that the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
    >>>The disk plays on other computers. I have a Toshiba SD-C2502 DVD-ROM/CD
    >>>drive on a PIII 1.1 GHz laptop with 512 MB RAM that has worked fine (the
    >>>drive and laptop) so far.
    >>>
    >>>Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

    It is interesting that you should mention that: I checked the media pools
    under removable storage and only found the following three listed: Iomega Zip
    (since I occassionally use an external zip drive), Removable media (for a
    digital camera that I occassionally hook up) and CD-ROM. I tried changing
    the CD-ROM to a DVD-ROM 1 sided, but I get the following message when I do
    so: "The media pool identifier does not represent a valid media pool."

    Oh, and I do have a CD-R drive that works fine with a driver from Windows
    2000.

    Is there a clue somewhere in there :-)? Thanks for replying!

    "Bob I" wrote:

    > No idea there, Window 2000 has no native support for DVD's or CD
    > writing either for that matter so anthing you will get will have to be
    > supplied by the manufacturer. At best without the 3rd party stuff is W2K
    > thinking its a CD.
    >
    > pdgcss wrote:
    >
    > > Thank you for the reply. I understand that VOB = 1GB Max, which is the size
    > > of the VOB file I am trying to read, why is it not being recognized in my
    > > Windows 2000 machine? BTW, I can't find any new drivers either for the
    > > DVD-ROM drive. The manufacturer simply refers me to the Windows 2000 driver.
    > >

    > > "Bob I" wrote:
    > >

    > >>VOB= 1GB max
    > >>http://www.dvd-replica.com/DVD/vtsguide.php

DVD Drives Windows