Another 7600GS (AGP) issue

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I recently upgraded my video card from a 5200FX to a 6200, and now to a 7600GS. I am, sadly, having serious, and annoying issues.

Before I got my new card, and was running the 5200FX, after a while, any somewhat demanding game that I played would make my monitor "black out"...like it turned off, but the system was still running. The only way to get it working was to turn my PC off and back on. It happened on average once a day with no error messages or anything. One time, and only one time, when it crashed, I got the blue screen of death which mentioned the nv4_disp.dll file.

So I get a new card because I needed one anyways, and I get the BSOD a few times. I swapped out the card yesterday (mainly because I wanted a better one for games like HL2) for the 7600GS.

After installing, I loaded up HL2, and I got the "black out" a few times and the BSOD a few times. The reason for the several errors is because I had tried everything...new drivers with driver cleaner, new BIOS, checking the connectivity of the molex adapter...everything that I read about people having issues with.

So I though...Ok...just don't run any 3D apps until the problem is fixed...but no...my PC froze (this was before the BIOS flash). I having a somewhat bad feeling that it is my PSU, which you will see in a minute...is a major pile. Here are my system specs:

AMD XP 64 3000+
Gigabyte GA-K8N-939
Corsair 512MB PC3200 RAM
SATA WD HDD
and a POS 300 watt "temporary solution" PSU (15a 12v)

When I first thought it was the PSU, I ruled it out...because I assumed that the PC wouldn't boot, or at least notify me or not load the card, if it was not correctly powered. I am inclined to believe that it is the PSU...but I really do not know, and quite honestly...do not know what else to try.

Any input is appreciated, and until then, then "wonderful" 5200FX will be snailing around :).

I recently upgraded my video card from a 5200FX to a 6200, and now to a 7600GS. I am, sadly, having serious, and annoying issues.

Before I got my new card, and was running the 5200FX, after a while, any somewhat demanding game that I played would make my monitor "black out"...like it turned off, but the system was still running. The only way to get it working was to turn my PC off and back on. It happened on average once a day with no error messages or anything. One time, and only one time, when it crashed, I got the blue screen of death which mentioned the nv4_disp.dll file.

So I get a new card because I needed one anyways, and I get the BSOD a few times. I swapped out the card yesterday (mainly because I wanted a better one for games like HL2) for the 7600GS.

After installing, I loaded up HL2, and I got the "black out" a few times and the BSOD a few times. The reason for the several errors is because I had tried everything...new drivers with driver cleaner, new BIOS, checking the connectivity of the molex adapter...everything that I read about people having issues with.

So I though...Ok...just don't run any 3D apps until the problem is fixed...but no...my PC froze (this was before the BIOS flash). I having a somewhat bad feeling that it is my PSU, which you will see in a minute...is a major pile. Here are my system specs:

AMD XP 64 3000+
Gigabyte GA-K8N-939
Corsair 512MB PC3200 RAM
SATA WD HDD
and a POS 300 watt "temporary solution" PSU (15a 12v)

When I first thought it was the PSU, I ruled it out...because I assumed that the PC wouldn't boot, or at least notify me or not load the card, if it was not correctly powered. I am inclined to believe that it is the PSU...but I really do not know, and quite honestly...do not know what else to try.

Any input is appreciated, and until then, then "wonderful" 5200FX will be snailing around :).

welp if it worked with the 6200, then its either a dud 7600GS, crappy psu or a windows/driver issue ;)

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
welp if it worked with the 6200, then its either a dud 7600GS, crappy psu or a windows/driver issue

I haven't ruled out the possibility of it being any of these. My first reaction is to exchange the card, but I would like to rule the other two out first.

I know the PSU isn't great, and as for the driver issue, I have tried the Omega and the newest nVidia drivers, but that is all.

Sidonas

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
On my 7600gs box it's written that it needs minimum of 350w PSU. Check out urs :) My one is 300w and I'm hawing issues with my 7600gs...

doubletake33

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
What I don't like is that on these 7 series cards all the makers are still being vague about the power requirements. I would say ya need a PSU that has at least a dual +12v rail at 20amps or more so the card get its dedicated amps and the rest of the system get theres. A good solid PSU with those requirements ain't cheap. I to will be gettin the leadtech 7600gt for AGP in about a month and I might be up against a PSU problem as well. This is what I'm scopin for myself:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817194003

good luck!

DukeDave

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
IMO that PSU will not be enough to run that card with the system you are using.

I believe that you would need about a 450W "no name" unit or a at least a 350W "branded" unit.

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Strangely enough, my XFX 7600GS 512MB runs more than just fine on my 300W Thermaltake PSU (it was the cheapest replacement I could find at the time).

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Ok, I returned the item and now have a nice $200 budget to work with.

So, first off, I am looking at the few cards which peak my interest...I must have AGP, and really like the GeForce 7600GS. I just can't decide on these:

XFX PVT73KUAL3 GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 8X Video Card

$123.99 + shipping.

ASUS N7600GS/HTD/256M GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card .

$123.99 + shipping.

BFG Tech BFGR76512GSOC GeForce 7600GS 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card

$159.99 + shipping.

I am also in need of a "most bang for the buck" PSU (I would like to see ~500w), and a non-stock CPU fan/heatsync...because well...I need a new one lol. My retail fan broke, and I don't OC very much...if at all...so just something that would be better than retail, or even comparable.

If anyone can help me out, since PSUs make me cry when I have been up this long, I would greatly appreciate it. I would like to again stay right at $200...because that is all that I have...but I would like the best quality and working parts.

As long as it will run HL2, etc. (the games around that time) at high resolutions with good - max settings, I will me very happy ^^.

Thanks again! :D

Dade_0182

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Since you have the money for it go for the BFG one. I'm quite content with my XFX card though. Isn't there a better card for under $200?

On my 7600gs box it's written that it needs minimum of 350w PSU. Check out urs :) My one is 300w and I'm hawing issues with my 7600gs...

theres "350w" psu's, then theres "350w psu's" (350... what?) - like generic vs branded, iv seen a 300w ACBell psu take on a 7900GTX512 easily (i was sus at first) - it might be.

xodos

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
I am probably going to go with the XFX Card so that I can get a slightly better PSU and a better heatsync and fan.

The video card is 123.99, and I would say that I would have around $40-50 for a PSU (better PSU = worse hs/fan) ...and then probably pick up a cheap heatsync/fan combo (since I don't OC much, if any).

What ~450W-500W PSU would be the most cost effective in this situation, and also...what heatsync/fan combo would be the best for the remainder of the money I have. Nothing fancy, but nothing like I have already lol...

I usually use newegg for all my online purchases, but I am in no 'major' hurry, and have considered zipzoomfly...simply because they have almost the same prices as newegg with free (UPS ground) shipping.

Sorry for all of the questions, and any suggestions and/or links are much appreciated :).