Dredge_3d

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2006
As the date comes near for the direct competitor of 8800, the speculations and the assumptions takes hype, like for instance the level505 review of the unseen R600 reference card, that created a lot of double impression on the real deal.

please post here the exact specifications and details of R600, and most importantly, did we wasted our money by buying the 8800 really early, reason being no mature and vista drivers drivers, :?:, i think, its going to take Nvidia for ever to develop the stable drivers of the 8800 series.?
what do you say ?

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
You may have payed a premium for the 8800, but there is no doubt about it, the 8800 series are top notch cards! Stable drivers will come very shortly after Vistas release I should imagine.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Wow - calm down. Taking the effort to make a post just to put someone down? Nice..

The exact details of the R600 are at this point rumour only - people are starting to think that it may well be slightly faster than the 8800 but there's no evidence to date.

However we are certainly approaching the time where we would expect to see some early confirmations that review sites have sample cards, if not yet seeing full reviews / benchmarks.

For people that didn't want to wait, the 8800 is an excellent card, and Vista technically isn't released yet so the driver issue is moot. It provides the fastest DX9 experience on the market today, and it's DX10 performance is irrelevant as there's nothing with DX10 until Vista comes out, and then there will only be Flight Sim X patched up for a few months.

For those waiting, there will be the opportunity to make a direct comparison between the 2 cards, on price, performance, power, noise and quality. The reviews may also be then a little more balanced - when there's no competition to something like the 8800 and it is so clearly ahead, the reviews tend to get a little star-struck and worshipping.

Personally, I'd like to see the R600 match the 8800 head on, and then see ATI and Nvidia start to compete on other levels, such as noise and power reduction as well as raw speed.

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
As the date comes near for the direct competitor of 8800, the speculations and the assumptions takes hype, like for instance the level505 review of the unseen R600 reference card, that created a lot of double impression on the real deal.

Level505 is a fake site. It's like saying my Toyota Camry 2008 edition has 7000 HP and gas mileage of 90/120 while drawing a chart to prove it beats a BMW.