Freak_c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Ok I have searched everywhere with no luck. I understand that Dual is better and that it is advised to get the same size, speed and maybe manufacturer if you wish to run dual channel.

I have a MB that has 4 channel/slots 1+2 and 3+4 for dual. Currently i have 2x512 Corsair DDR 400 in slots 1+2. (I had 1 first then added the other a few months later no problem)

Now the question I have can I add 2x1Gig Kinston DDR 400 into the other slots and 1 gig at a time so that the config will be 2x512 + 1x1gig = 1.5gig (not Dual) and then later 2x512 + 2x1gig (Dual). Will this work if the manufacturers are different but the same in the dual slots. Or should/must I add 2x512 Corsair or Kingston? :?:

Give this article a read to help give you a better overall understanding of dual channel memory.
Dual-channel architecture DDR/DDR2 SDRAM describes a motherboard technology that effectively doubles data throughput from RAM to the memory controller. Dual channel-enabled memory controllers utilize two 64-bit data channels, resulting in a total bandwidth of 128-bits, to move data from RAM to the CPU.

In order to achieve this, the DDR/DDR2 SDRAM memory modules must be installed into matching banks, which are usually color coded on the motherboard. It is not required that identical modules are used, but it is often recommended. One module of 512MB RAM could be installed in bank one and a 1GB module could be installed in bank two. Modules rated at different speeds can be run in dual channel, although the motherboard will then run all memory modules at the speed of the slowest module. Some motherboards however have compatibility issues with certain brands or models of modules when attempting to use them in dual channel mode. For this reason it is generally advised to use identical pairs of memory modules and most memory manufacturers now sell "kits" of matched pair DIMMs. Several motherboard manufacturers only support configurations where a "matched pair" of modules are used.

So, generally speaking, what you're asking should work but I would also recommend checking with the chipset or mobo maker for additional info.

Good luck!

Freak_c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2007
Hi

Another Question.

What if i add DDR 2 Ram to my board will it just drop to DDR speed? Or are the pins different in DDR2?

DDR is getting harder to find.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
Hi

Another Question.

What if i add DDR 2 Ram to my board will it just drop to DDR speed? Or are the pins different in DDR2?

DDR is getting harder to find.

DDR2 will not fit in a DDR slot as they have different physical characteristics.

Mondoman

Splendid

So, generally speaking, what you're asking should work ...
This statement may be premature. The more recent your motherboard, the more likely it is to work. Intel chipsets (especially the most recent) tend to be more forgiving than others.
but I would also recommend checking with the chipset or mobo maker for additional info.
Yes!