thanks,

From: "dimsdale_007" <dimsdale007@discussions.microsoft.com>

| i'm running win2k server and for quite some time the WMI has been hosed up on
| the server. when i right click on wmi and go to properties, it doesn't let
| me go to any other tabs but general and i can click on the change button to
| enter in a different username. the general tab does display this error:
|
| Failed to connect to <local computer>
| because "WMI: Initialization failure"
|
| anyone have a clue what's causing this? i've tryed entering domain admin
| account, local admin account, etc...still comes up with the same error.
|
| thanks,

Create a FIXWMI.CMD batch file from the below script and run it and see if this corrects
your problem.

FIXWMI.CMD
------------------------

@echo on
cd /d c:\temp
if not exist %windir%\system32\wbem goto TryInstall
cd /d %windir%\system32\wbem
net stop winmgmt
winmgmt /kill
if exist Rep_bak rd Rep_bak /s /q
rename Repository Rep_bak
for %%i in (*.dll) do RegSvr32 -s %%i
for %%i in (*.exe) do call :FixSrv %%i
for %%i in (*.mof,*.mfl) do Mofcomp %%i
net start winmgmt
goto End

:FixSrv
if /I (%1) == (wbemcntl.exe) goto SkipSrv
if /I (%1) == (wbemtest.exe) goto SkipSrv
if /I (%1) == (mofcomp.exe) goto SkipSrv
%1 /RegServer

:SkipSrv
goto End

:TryInstall