Making a Cloned Image Bootable

OK, Here is the problem. I have cloned my 12 gig to a new IDE 80 gig using
Acronis TrueImage. But when I make this new image the master ide it will not
boot. I get error messages of ARC and HAL problems. Acronis support says
that I must use XP SP2 sysprep utility first on the old drive. Microsoft
support will not help since the original OS ME was OEM enough though I
purchased a retail upgrade to XP. Can somone please explain what I need to
do to make my new image bootable after cloning. What options in Sysprep for
SP2 do I use to prepare the old HD for the cloning? Is there anything I have
to do afterward other that to remove the old HD and make the new image the
primary HD?

Thansk
Mike
4 answers Last reply
More about making cloned image bootable

    Set your disk to boot in the program you are using to burn the disk.

    > OK, Here is the problem. I have cloned my 12 gig to a new IDE 80 gig
    using
    > Acronis TrueImage. But when I make this new image the master ide it will
    not
    > boot. I get error messages of ARC and HAL problems. Acronis support says
    > that I must use XP SP2 sysprep utility first on the old drive. Microsoft
    > support will not help since the original OS ME was OEM enough though I
    > purchased a retail upgrade to XP. Can somone please explain what I need
    > do to make my new image bootable after cloning. What options in Sysprep
    for
    > SP2 do I use to prepare the old HD for the cloning? Is there anything I
    have
    > to do afterward other that to remove the old HD and make the new image the
    > primary HD?
    >
    > Thansk
    > Mike

    Hi, Mike.

    Most likely, you will need to do an in-place upgrade, as described by
    Microsoft here:
    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q315341

    and by MVP Michael Stevens here:

    I've never used SysPrep, and I've not worked with a computer that was
    upgraded from a pre-installed WinME, but that should not matter in your
    case.

    First, physically install your new 80 GB HD as the primary master. LEAVE
    the old HD UNPLUGGED for now! Otherwise, Setup will get confused when it
    finds the Active (bootable) partition on the old HD; it probably will assign
    THAT partition Drive Letter C:, forcing the first partition on your 80 GB
    HD - which you expect to become your new Drive C: - to become Drive G: or H:
    or whatever is the next letter available after your existing partitions.
    :>( We've seen many users with that complaint here, and the only advice we
    can give them is to start over - with the old HD unplugged. (After WinXP is
    reinstalled properly on the 80, you can plug in the old HD as slave or
    secondary and use Disk Management to configure it any way you like,
    including repartitioning and reformatting it if you choose.)

    Then boot from your retail WinXP CD-ROM and run Setup. Follow the
    instructions in KB 315341, using Method 2, and be sure to NOT choose "R" for
    Repair the first time it is offered (in Step 3), but to press Enter there,
    accept the EULA, then choose "R" in Step 5 to Repair your existing
    installation.

    This will completely reinstall WinXP itself (the version that is on your
    WinXP CD-ROM), but leave your installed applications and data intact. If
    your WinXP CD has SP2 integrated, you're just about done; otherwise, be sure
    to update it as quickly as you can. In either case, once your firewall and
    antivirus are back in place, go to Windows Update to be sure that you have
    SP2 and any later updates.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    > OK, Here is the problem. I have cloned my 12 gig to a new IDE 80 gig
    > using
    > Acronis TrueImage. But when I make this new image the master ide it will
    > not
    > boot. I get error messages of ARC and HAL problems. Acronis support says
    > that I must use XP SP2 sysprep utility first on the old drive. Microsoft
    > support will not help since the original OS ME was OEM enough though I
    > purchased a retail upgrade to XP. Can somone please explain what I need
    > do to make my new image bootable after cloning. What options in Sysprep
    > for
    > SP2 do I use to prepare the old HD for the cloning? Is there anything I
    > have
    > to do afterward other that to remove the old HD and make the new image the
    > primary HD?
    >
    > Thansk
    > Mike

    Please disregard my incredibly stupid answer. I didn't read the post
    thoroughly.

    "RA" <none> wrote in message news:OyohM6uAFHA.1084@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Set your disk to boot in the program you are using to burn the disk.
    >
    > "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > OK, Here is the problem. I have cloned my 12 gig to a new IDE 80 gig
    > using
    > > Acronis TrueImage. But when I make this new image the master ide it
    will
    > not
    > > boot. I get error messages of ARC and HAL problems. Acronis support
    says
    > > that I must use XP SP2 sysprep utility first on the old drive.
    Microsoft
    > > support will not help since the original OS ME was OEM enough though I
    > > purchased a retail upgrade to XP. Can somone please explain what I need
    > > do to make my new image bootable after cloning. What options in Sysprep
    > for
    > > SP2 do I use to prepare the old HD for the cloning? Is there anything I
    > have
    > > to do afterward other that to remove the old HD and make the new image
    the
    > > primary HD?
    > >
    > > Thansk
    > > Mike

    It seems this happens due to the upgrade in hardware. Your new 80GB drive is
    the culprit. You should be able to run a Repair Install to resolve this -
    see How To Run A Repair Install

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    | OK, Here is the problem. I have cloned my 12 gig to a new IDE 80 gig
    using
    | Acronis TrueImage. But when I make this new image the master ide it will
    not
    | boot. I get error messages of ARC and HAL problems. Acronis support says
    | that I must use XP SP2 sysprep utility first on the old drive. Microsoft
    | support will not help since the original OS ME was OEM enough though I
    | purchased a retail upgrade to XP. Can somone please explain what I need
    | do to make my new image bootable after cloning. What options in Sysprep
    for
    | SP2 do I use to prepare the old HD for the cloning? Is there anything I
    have
    | to do afterward other that to remove the old HD and make the new image the
    | primary HD?
    |
    | Thansk
    | Mike

Microsoft Windows XP