R600 delayed till March :(

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
The inquirer is always looking for headlines, when other websites confirm this I will be more inclined to believe it. Why will the R600 launch be "very very shocking", whats more shocking is the lengths they go to generate stories

krisz

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer but i wish they would release a few technical data or demos or something to at least show what it is that we have to wait for.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
The inquirer is always looking for headlines, when other websites confirm this I will be more inclined to believe it. Why will the R600 launch be "very very shocking", whats more shocking is the lengths they go to generate stories

Maybe the R600 will have exposed live wires. That would be potentially shocking.

/gets coat

Parge

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

Maybe the R600 will have exposed live wires. That would be potentially shocking.

/gets coat

Dont forget your hat :)

Actually this isn't that suprising as the rumour had been floating for a bit, I just read it from 2 people when I got back from vacation.

The Inq usually gets the delays and respins right, but usually about 2 weeks after other locations. Sites like THG, [H], Xbit, etc usually don't report on the delays and respins unless it's in an offfical market/investor conference call.

This would be the second major respin and the 3rd to fix a problem out of at least 4 or 5 sofar (remember the G80 was respun a few times too), so it'll be interesting to see what the issue is, and whether there was any addition/substraction in the equation, at this point in time I'm gessing yield or stability issue. Last one I heard about in Nov was for speed yields @ 1ghz with A12-A13 silicon.

mpjesse

Splendid
Yeah.... no big surprise to me either. I'm not sure why, and call it B.S., but I had a feeling the R600 wasn't gonna show this month.

On another note, the Inq is the king of spin. The mention someone spinning what the "R600 is", but then they say this:

One small note on the tech demos. Prepare for your mandibles to drop, because Adrienne should look like a high-school attempt at 3D graphics compared to ATI's thing. µ

Well remember they may already have seen a demo of ATi's demo running emulated in software mode or on early A01 or A11+ silicon.

The Adrienne demo by nV wasn't all that impressive from a visual stand point, it may have alot of complex facets/features, but it's like ATi's chimp demo, technically amazing at the time, but compared to the Dawn & Dusk demos, not much to look at, and Ruby versus Nalu, the Ruby demo was more impressive from a story perspective, but the tech behind nalu may be more impressive. Considering the recent G80 demos, the mini floating islands with water and foliage effects to me were more impressive than the Adrienne dmo, so really it's not hard to beat IMO.

As for the InQ and it's spin, well they aren't covered by NDA so they are the few sources before official reviews, but think of them as 50/50 for reliability and even if they are 100% correct about an early product, by the time the final product hits the market it may change (ie the R400 becoming more or less the R500 and never coming out in desktop form).