Need to use boot HD in mew Mbd after Mbd failure

Hope you all can help. Two of my w2k systems Mbds have failed. Both Asus
CUV4X-E bds. One now fails to boot even to BIOS. Other fails to recognize
the mouse on W2k boot. First one started having the same problem before the
total boot failure. So am not sure how long the 2nd Mbd will last.

Not sure the cause, possibly KVM went bad and affected the keyboard & mouse
I/O?? I liked the P3's. they had enough power for what I do with them, a
gig of ram each.. Ideas of how to fix would be fine but not hopeful.

But now it looks like I need new machines. And I need to know what I need
to do to put these into another Mbd without losing all my installed programs.
Tried putting one HD into an AMD system as a test, but the Drive does not
boot. presumably this is due to the different processor and/or Mbd chipset.

So the question is what do I have to do to have the boot on these drives
accept a new Mbd?
8 answers Last reply
More about need boot failure

    Presumably from the problem these are IDE-based systems.

    After you get the drive in the replacement box, boot from the Windows 2000 CD, preferably one slipstreamed with SP2 or later if you
    have it or can build one. Select the choices to install Windows 2000 on the existing partition and of course do not reformat. When
    it tells you there is an existing Windows 2000 it will offer you the choice to repair that. Select that option and let it do a full
    setup-mode repair. This will rebuild the hardware information and allow you to boot.

    Once it is running you'll need to run Windows update to reinstall service packs and updates after the CD you used to repair.

    In general Asus boards are quite reliable. But from the symptoms you describe it is very likely the CUV boards fell victim of the
    faulty capacitor problem that occurred during their era. It is a fascinating story of intrigue that not a lot of people know:
    http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/resource/feb03/ncap.html. If so, it is possible to get the boards repaired for about $50 should
    you want to do that.

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    "Oldtimer" <Oldtimer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E71D25F7-336A-475F-AF1C-20494D18F9C9@microsoft.com...
    > Hope you all can help. Two of my w2k systems Mbds have failed. Both Asus
    > CUV4X-E bds. One now fails to boot even to BIOS. Other fails to recognize
    > the mouse on W2k boot. First one started having the same problem before the
    > total boot failure. So am not sure how long the 2nd Mbd will last.
    >
    > Not sure the cause, possibly KVM went bad and affected the keyboard & mouse
    > I/O?? I liked the P3's. they had enough power for what I do with them, a
    > gig of ram each.. Ideas of how to fix would be fine but not hopeful.
    >
    > But now it looks like I need new machines. And I need to know what I need
    > to do to put these into another Mbd without losing all my installed programs.
    > Tried putting one HD into an AMD system as a test, but the Drive does not
    > boot. presumably this is due to the different processor and/or Mbd chipset.
    >
    > So the question is what do I have to do to have the boot on these drives
    > accept a new Mbd?

    "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote: (snipped)

    Thanks very much for that reply, Steve. Interestingly enough the symptoms
    do seem to fit the capacitor situation. I will contact Gary Headlee
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
    and see if he has worked on these Mbds before. It would be great to get
    them back.

    btw the second board has now developed the sympton of :loosing the Keyboard
    after being on for a while. So that looks like a passive component heat
    problem too.

    On -slip streaming- the upgrades: The OS for 1 of these is pre SP1 the
    other OS cd is either SP1 or SP2. So the installs would be way out of date.
    I may have the DL for SP1, Sp2, SP3 on a HD somewhere, but probably don't
    have every in between update. Thus I need to learn more about
    SlipStreaming.. Read the MS KS article on SStream, but do not see how I could
    apply it given my current machine states. (this machine is an antique W98
    P1. But it is letting me get to the internet.)

    So Plan is now to look into getting these ASUS repaired. And in the
    meantime to get running again by using the drives in other mother boards
    following the instructions if the reply. I the repairs work then I can
    revert the extra machine back to DC Cancer research 24/7.

    Thanks very much for this help. If there is more info, please feel free to
    email.

    Oldtimer

    If you are running pre SP3 then you won't have any IDE boot problems, so go ahead and use what you have.

    Then upgrade to SP4 - you really need it.

    Steve Duff, MCSE
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    "Oldtimer" <Oldtimer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BDE6F9-88C0-48A3-AD12-628BACE4F8B9@microsoft.com...

    > "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote: (snipped)
    >
    > Thanks very much for that reply, Steve. Interestingly enough the symptoms
    > do seem to fit the capacitor situation. I will contact Gary Headlee
    > http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
    > and see if he has worked on these Mbds before. It would be great to get
    > them back.
    >
    > btw the second board has now developed the sympton of :loosing the Keyboard
    > after being on for a while. So that looks like a passive component heat
    > problem too.
    >
    > On -slip streaming- the upgrades: The OS for 1 of these is pre SP1 the
    > other OS cd is either SP1 or SP2. So the installs would be way out of date.
    > I may have the DL for SP1, Sp2, SP3 on a HD somewhere, but probably don't
    > have every in between update. Thus I need to learn more about
    > SlipStreaming.. Read the MS KS article on SStream, but do not see how I could
    > apply it given my current machine states. (this machine is an antique W98
    > P1. But it is letting me get to the internet.)
    >
    > So Plan is now to look into getting these ASUS repaired. And in the
    > meantime to get running again by using the drives in other mother boards
    > following the instructions if the reply. I the repairs work then I can
    > revert the extra machine back to DC Cancer research 24/7.
    >
    > Thanks very much for this help. If there is more info, please feel free to
    > email.
    >
    > Oldtimer

    Steve,

    Thanks for your reply. The HD's for both problem machines have W2k OS with
    SP4+ updates. The CD's for these machines however, predate SP4 by a long
    time.

    Does that change anything? for getting the drives to recognize the AMD Mbds?
    It looks like I will be using either my EPOX or my Abit NF7-S AMD XP Mbds to
    replace the ASUS CUV4X-E Intel Mbds.

    One of the problems, I guess, is that one really needs to save all the
    updates on a CD for situations like this. But even though I may have the SP
    packages I doubt that I have each and every update that I see listed when I
    run the Belarc Advisor machine profile. So I guess I should either run or Dl
    each SP update and ket MS W2k updater try to do all the separate updates??

    Is there a more effective way to safve these updates to make machine rebuild
    easier and faster? I guess that maybe what people refer to as slipstream>?
    But how do I do that?

    At least I will finally escape from the Sound Blaster cards, since these
    Mbds have built in sound chips.

    I appreciate this help. Hate to sound like so much of a novice. Maybe I
    was just lucky not to have these problems before.

    Thanks for your help.
    Oldtimer

    "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote:

    > If you are running pre SP3 then you won't have any IDE boot problems, so go ahead and use what you have.
    >
    > Then upgrade to SP4 - you really need it.
    >
    > Steve Duff, MCSE
    > Ergodic Systems, Inc.
    >
    > "Oldtimer" <Oldtimer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0BDE6F9-88C0-48A3-AD12-628BACE4F8B9@microsoft.com...
    > >
    > > "Steve Duff [MVP]" wrote: (snipped)
    > >
    > > Thanks very much for that reply, Steve. Interestingly enough the symptoms
    > > do seem to fit the capacitor situation. I will contact Gary Headlee
    > > http://www.motherboardrepair.com/
    > > and see if he has worked on these Mbds before. It would be great to get
    > > them back.
    > >
    > > btw the second board has now developed the sympton of :loosing the Keyboard
    > > after being on for a while. So that looks like a passive component heat
    > > problem too.
    > >
    > > On -slip streaming- the upgrades: The OS for 1 of these is pre SP1 the
    > > other OS cd is either SP1 or SP2. So the installs would be way out of date.
    > > I may have the DL for SP1, Sp2, SP3 on a HD somewhere, but probably don't
    > > have every in between update. Thus I need to learn more about
    > > SlipStreaming.. Read the MS KS article on SStream, but do not see how I could
    > > apply it given my current machine states. (this machine is an antique W98
    > > P1. But it is letting me get to the internet.)
    > >
    > > So Plan is now to look into getting these ASUS repaired. And in the
    > > meantime to get running again by using the drives in other mother boards
    > > following the instructions if the reply. I the repairs work then I can
    > > revert the extra machine back to DC Cancer research 24/7.
    > >
    > > Thanks very much for this help. If there is more info, please feel free to
    > > email.
    > >
    > > Oldtimer

    Recognizing the motherboard is not an issue, but you should always load the current version of any "chipset" drivers after you
    install the OS, and that especially includes the infamous AMD "largepageminimum" registry patch in your case.

    My only concern for you was that older versions of Win2K's atapi.sys do not deal with large IDE hard drives or large boot
    partitions. If you have upgraded your hard drive after you installed your original O/S, you could thus end up with an unbootable
    configuration during the repair. Otherwise, do not worry. Just apply the service packs and updates after you are done with the
    repair

    There are ways to "preload" the IDE controller information into the registry, but it is a some trouble and has to be done
    proactively. The simplest thing to do is to just always run with the generic bus-master ATA/ATAPI controller which will boot with
    any recent-technology IDE interface.

    If you start with an SP4 CD, you will not get MS Java. The best thing usually is to load an SP3 and then apply SP4. Later service
    packs subsume earlier ones - you don't need to apply SP1 then 2 then 3 then 4. Just apply the latest service pack and then updates
    past that until there aren't any left you want. It is time-consuming but not difficult.

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MCE

    "Oldtimer" <Oldtimer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:280E9F78-4564-48B6-A161-181BA433AA79@microsoft.com...

> [...]
    >> > problem too.
    >> >
    >> > On -slip streaming- the upgrades: The OS for 1 of these is pre SP1 the
    >> > other OS cd is either SP1 or SP2. So the installs would be way out of date.
    >> > I may have the DL for SP1, Sp2, SP3 on a HD somewhere, but probably don't
    >> > have every in between update. Thus I need to learn more about
    >> > SlipStreaming.. Read the MS KS article on SStream, but do not see how I could
    >> > apply it given my current machine states. (this machine is an antique W98
    >> > P1. But it is letting me get to the internet.)
    >> >
    >> > So Plan is now to look into getting these ASUS repaired. And in the
    >> > meantime to get running again by using the drives in other mother boards
    >> > following the instructions if the reply. I the repairs work then I can
    >> > revert the extra machine back to DC Cancer research 24/7.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks very much for this help. If there is more info, please feel free to

    Steve Duff [MVP]

    Thanks very much for all this info and help. I am gathering pieces to
    expand the "critter" DC machine into a full fledged PC. When I get it set up
    I will be following your suggestions on how to get my current boot drives to
    work with it.

    Have sent email to the "repair guy". Hope to hear back after the holiday.

    Thanks again. This has been great help. I will email you if you'd like to
    let you know that it worked.

    Oldtimer
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    By all means - I'm always curious to know the final outcome

    Steve Duff, MCSE, MVP
    Ergodic Systems, Inc.

    "Oldtimer" <Oldtimer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4A19393-8F60-45F6-8340-DAC517EC34DF@microsoft.com...

    > Steve Duff [MVP]
    >
    > Thanks very much for all this info and help. I am gathering pieces to
    > expand the "critter" DC machine into a full fledged PC. When I get it set up
    > I will be following your suggestions on how to get my current boot drives to
    > work with it.
    >
    > Have sent email to the "repair guy". Hope to hear back after the holiday.
    >
    > Thanks again. This has been great help. I will email you if you'd like to
    > let you know that it worked.
    >
    > Oldtimer

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Well, it didn't work. I have tried the suggested repair proceedure and all
    I get is a BSOD. It happens after the W2k Progress bar get 2/3 of the way
    across. the error is
    " Stop: 0x0000001E (0xc0000005, 0xEB4617B6, 0x00000000, ox00000028)
    XMODE_Exception_Not Handled"

    So now what can I do that will get this drive working on the AMD Mbd without
    losing all my installed programs and other stettings??

    tia
    Oldtimer

Boot Windows