New Graphics card recommendations?

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I need a new graphics card, mostly so I can play oblivion better. I have an 6800GS right now. I'd like to increase the view distance and get better FPS, expecially outside. When I'm outside and attacked by enemies, the FPS can drop down to the single digits, which is annoying.

I'm most familiar with the nvidia cards, so I was looking at the 7900GS and 7950GT. Any thoughts? I don't want to spend a ton (no more that 250 dollars) with DX10 on the horizon. I don't know must about the ATI cards, but if there is a good card in the price range, I'd be open to suggestions.

Noya

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048+4018&Subcategory=48&description=&Ntk=&srchInDesc=

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Not that Cleeve needs me to agree with him, but I do completely...especially in this case when your game is Oblivion. That is a phenomenal deal on a X1950XT. That is cheaper than many X1950Pros. Connect3D obviously isn't the best manufacturer, but the pricing cannot be beaten. Nice find.

*Oops, its an X1900XT. Still a great card at a great price.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
Wish I had seen that card for my latest build. Put an HIS X1950Pro in it... still a good card, but for that money, could have put this one in it.

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
Can you relate the X1900XT to the nvidia world? Like, which nvidia card is the X1900XT supposed to be competing against?

As long as the card performs well in oblivion, and does a good job in other games (I play FPS games like FEAR, which the 6800GS is fine for, so anything better would be fine as well), it's fine with me.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
I believe the X1900XT 256mb is comparable to the 7900GT / 7900GTX nvidia cards. Although, I think the intended competitor was the 7900GS, but the X1900XT has won almost every benchmark I've seen against that card. In Oblivion, I believe the X1900XT 256mb beats all of the above cards.

*Oh and the X1900XT fairs very well in F.E.A.R. as well.

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I was looking at the benchmarks on tomshardware, and the X1900XT just about doubles the FPS of the 7950GT in oblivion.

Interesting.

Fndr7070

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
As far as crossfire goes then, would that work with this card? Does crossfire need motherboard support like SLI does?

Sorry for the basic questions... the ATI world is quite foreign to me.

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005
The ATI cards have a distinct advantage in Oblivion. I believe the X1950Pro (a lesser card than the X1900XT) performs on par with the 7900GTX in Oblivion. Cleeve's statement was more general in nature and not game specific.

cleeve

Illustrious
Yeah, it's a helluva card for that price.

If you're an Nvidia fan with about $200 to spend, the X1900 XT is probably the most compelling reason to open your mind up to new things. :)

cleeve

Illustrious
As far as crossfire goes then, would that work with this card? Does crossfire need motherboard support like SLI does?

Crossfire? Similar to SLI in that you need a Crossfire mobo.

The main difference is for X1900's you need a 'master card' (a special edition card) to pair up with your regular X1900 in addition to the mobo.

But frankly, I wouldn't bother. Spend the $200 for a quick fix to tie you over until you can afford a DirectX 10 card. The single X1900 XT will give you such a colossal performance boost over your 6800 GS you will be plenty satisfied.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
God damn i wish i was in the USA! $200 is around £100 and for that we can only get a 7600GT :(

You could always arrange for a friend in the US to send you a 'gift', thus not bothering our friends at Revenue & Customs... ;)

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
At least here in the UK the average standard of living is higher, better distribution of wealth. In the USA 80% of the wealth is owned by the top 5% of people. I think that is ridiculous, one of the reasons i don't live there. Plus there's the fact that the government doesn't give a damn about the welfare of the people, what kind of RICH DEVELOPED COUNTRY allows it's citizens to go without medical care???

A family member of mine helps out the homeless people as a volunteer and get's called a communist ffs!

Sorry about the rant, i can go on all day about the horror that is being a working class person in the USA.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Well, you in Canada could go spend a few days in the US and order from Newegg to deliver ot your Hotel.

The trick: If you have an American Express card, call them, and ask them to register a temporary address (the place you'll be staying) and order from newegg to deliver at this same address(note: you must register your card billing address as the temporary address).

There's always a walk around to every rule.

:D

cleeve

Illustrious
I'm OK, actually. I'm in Winnipeg and I have a cousin in Minneapolis (about 6 1/2 hour drive). I order stuff to go to his place and visit him a couple times a year. Good times.

Then again since I've become a reviewer for Tom's Hardware most companies send me their stuff for testing anyway. :)

cleeve

Illustrious
Does the UK have public health care like Canada?

I don't think working class US is so bad. Yes, they don't have health care but their tax burden is MUCH lower (than Canada's, anyway).

I've checked it out and it's usually cheaper to live in the US with less income tax (your mortgage is a writeoff there!!) and paying for health insurance than it is to live in Canada and pay the colossal tax rates here.

And their cost of goods on many things (like computer parts) is also lower...

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Does the UK have public health care like Canada?

I don't think working class US is so bad. Yes, they don't have health care but their tax burden is MUCH lower (than Canada's, anyway).

I've checked it out and it's usually cheaper to live in the US with less income tax (your mortgage is a writeoff there!!) and paying for health insurance than it is to live in Canada and pay the colossal tax rates here.

And their cost of goods on many things (like computer parts) is also lower...

But what happens if you get made redundant? Become disabled? Have to care for a disabled family member? Need care yourself? Old age pension? etc etc

Higher taxes help keep MOST people clothed, fed and housed.