Struck out with the HP rx3115 today

a b α HP
March 31, 2005 7:04:56 AM

Blah. Dead pixel and the screen was way too hard on my eyes. It looked
shimmery and kind of like I was seeing the refresh rate or a reflection or
something. It was weird. I thought it was okay in the store, but I got it
home and I didn't like it.

So in summary all the screens on the high-res Palms make noise. All the
screens on the HPs (except for the $550 device) are hard on my eyes.
Doesn't anyone make an affordable PDA anymore with a normal screen that is
easy on the eyes.

Preston

More about : struck rx3115 today

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 9:39:54 AM

On 3/31/2005 2:04:59 AM, Preston Crawford wrote:
>Blah. Dead pixel and the screen was way too hard on my eyes. It looked
>shimmery and kind of like I was seeing the refresh rate or a reflection or
>something. It was weird. I thought it was okay in the store, but I got it
>home and I didn't like it.
>
>So in summary all the screens on the high-res Palms make noise. All the
>screens on the HPs (except for the $550 device) are hard on my eyes.
>Doesn't anyone make an affordable PDA anymore with a normal screen that is
>easy on the eyes.
>
>Preston

I don't think the PDA is for you guy. Every PDA makes some sort of whine.
Maybe you should stick with a little black book? <g>

--
Walt
Anonymous

On 2005-03-31, Walt Basil <no_spam@here.net> wrote:
> On 3/31/2005 2:04:59 AM, Preston Crawford wrote:
>>Blah. Dead pixel and the screen was way too hard on my eyes. It looked
>>shimmery and kind of like I was seeing the refresh rate or a reflection or
>>something. It was weird. I thought it was okay in the store, but I got it
>>home and I didn't like it.
>>
>>So in summary all the screens on the high-res Palms make noise. All the
>>screens on the HPs (except for the $550 device) are hard on my eyes.
>>Doesn't anyone make an affordable PDA anymore with a normal screen that is
>>easy on the eyes.
>>
>>Preston
>
> I don't think the PDA is for you guy. Every PDA makes some sort of whine.
> Maybe you should stick with a little black book? <g>

Oh don't be ridiculous. I patently disagree with that statement. Not
only was a very active member of the Windows CE online community for a
while (thus the reason I came asking for help), but I've owned the
following pdas.

Casio Cassiopea (some clamshell, can't remember the number)
Phillips Nino 312
HP Jornada 430SE
HP Jornada 545
HP Jornada 720
Compaq iPaq (some early model 19xx or something)
Sharp Zaurus SL-5000
Sharp Zaurus SL-5500
Palm M130

Out of those the only one that ever made noise was the iPaq. And even the
one I bought last night wasn't making noise. It just had an odd-looking
screen. Somehow worse than the afforementioned Jornadas.

Preston
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 5:39:54 PM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:39:54 -0700, "Walt Basil" <no_spam@here.net>
wrote:

>>So in summary all the screens on the high-res Palms make noise. All the
>>screens on the HPs (except for the $550 device) are hard on my eyes.
>>Doesn't anyone make an affordable PDA anymore with a normal screen that is
>>easy on the eyes.
>>
>>Preston
>
>I don't think the PDA is for you guy. Every PDA makes some sort of whine.

You're making this up, right ? I've never noticed *any kind of whine*
coming from my Axim X3i ... you're saying I've been really lucky? Or
it's your assertion that every PDA ever produced has some kind of
audible screen defect ?

Cheers - Neil
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 5:39:55 PM

I have never heard any noise from my 3955 or my X50v, is
it possible that your ears are super sensitive? It
sounds to me that with your sensitivities, maybe a tablet
PC would be better for you than a PPC.

Xfiler

March 31, 2005 5:39:55 PM

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 05:39:54 -0700, "Walt Basil" <no_spam@here.net>
> wrote:
>
> >>So in summary all the screens on the high-res Palms make noise. All the
> >>screens on the HPs (except for the $550 device) are hard on my eyes.

My HP 4155 is completely silent and I find the screen very easy to read,
even at the smallest type size.
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 5:39:56 PM

sorry, you did say the noise came from the palm - I
misunderstood.

xfiler

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 5:39:57 PM

On 2005-03-31, xfiler <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> sorry, you did say the noise came from the palm - I
> misunderstood.

Yeah. The only PDAs I'm having a noise problem with are the same ones (if
you Google you'll see) other people are having problems with. All Palms.
So thus I decided to try out a PocketPC, but it has a screen that looks
like it will be hard on the eyes.

Preston
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 7:09:37 PM

No, Walt (not the OP) said " Every PDA makes some sort of whine" which
is an assertion I consider "rubbish" ;-)

Cheers - Neil

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 06:48:37 -0800, "xfiler"

>sorry, you did say the noise came from the palm - I
>misunderstood.
>
>xfiler

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 7:09:38 PM

Thank you Neil - good catch - I missed it. I've heard
though that some people are sensitive to higher and lower
frequencies than the average bear - maybe that's the root
cause of this noise hookum - but it's probabaly just
rubbish.

regards - xfiler

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 9:01:02 PM

I'm with the "no noise here" gang. Try out the Pocket Loox 720. Nice high
res screen, can be dimmed down to a very low light level and no notice of
screen refreshing (somthing I am very prone to suffering) and certainly no
noise!¿!¿

Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 9:01:03 PM

On 2005-03-31, Jon A <jon.amsden@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm with the "no noise here" gang. Try out the Pocket Loox 720. Nice high
> res screen, can be dimmed down to a very low light level and no notice of
> screen refreshing (somthing I am very prone to suffering) and certainly no
> noise!!

I think that's what's getting to me with the rx3115. Something about the
screen makes the refreshing really hard on my eyes. I dim it and it gets
better, but not by much.

Preston
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 9:01:04 PM

"Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
> On 2005-03-31, Jon A <jon.amsden@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm with the "no noise here" gang. Try out the Pocket Loox 720. Nice high
>> res screen, can be dimmed down to a very low light level and no notice of
>> screen refreshing (somthing I am very prone to suffering) and certainly
>> no
>> noise!!
>
> I think that's what's getting to me with the rx3115. Something about the
> screen makes the refreshing really hard on my eyes. I dim it and it gets
> better, but not by much.

I wonder if you have a defective unit, other than just the dead pixel. The
rx3115 I use has quite a pleasant screen, not as sharp as the VGA units of
course but not bad otherwise. It certainly is crisper and easier on the
eyes than older units, such as the wacky side-lit but endearing nontheless
3835. Various models share the same screen as the rx3115, so steer clear of
these as well if you have a reaction and determine it to be not defective.
Anonymous
a b α HP
March 31, 2005 9:01:05 PM

On 2005-03-31, xTenn <xTennREmoveThisPart@tds.net> wrote:

> "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
>> On 2005-03-31, Jon A <jon.amsden@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm with the "no noise here" gang. Try out the Pocket Loox 720. Nice high
>>> res screen, can be dimmed down to a very low light level and no notice of
>>> screen refreshing (somthing I am very prone to suffering) and certainly
>>> no
>>> noise!!
>>
>> I think that's what's getting to me with the rx3115. Something about the
>> screen makes the refreshing really hard on my eyes. I dim it and it gets
>> better, but not by much.
>>

> I wonder if you have a defective unit, other than just the dead pixel. The
> rx3115 I use has quite a pleasant screen, not as sharp as the VGA units of
> course but not bad otherwise. It certainly is crisper and easier on the
> eyes than older units, such as the wacky side-lit but endearing nontheless
> 3835. Various models share the same screen as the rx3115, so steer clear of
> these as well if you have a reaction and determine it to be not defective.

Could be defective, I don't know. Or maybe I'm just more sensitive to
these devices. It's weird, because as I explained elsewhere here I have
owned many many PDAs. I never had a problem with any of them. But the
higher quality screen on this one looks worse to me than my old Jornada
550 did.

Preston
Anonymous
a b α HP
April 1, 2005 9:46:31 AM

My first PDA was an Apple Newton. Made a whine. Nothing you could really hear
unless you put the device to your ears. Next was a Palm III. Again, turn on
the backlight, and hold it to your ears and will hear a high pitch whine.
Next came a Palm IIIx. Again same whine. Palm m515. Constant whine with the
color display. Now I have an Axim X50. It whines.

Again, nothing you can hear with normal use. You have to actually hold it up
to your ears to hear the whine. Try it. Turn it off, hold it to your ear,
while it is there, turn it on. You'll see. There is no escaping it. It's the
nature of the electronics involved in the llighting of the display. If you
don't hear it, your hearing is at fault, or you're just choosing to ignore
it.

The Palms I've had made the loudest noise by far. The III series could be
heard during normal use in a quiet environment such as reading a book in bed
at night.

-Walt

--
Walt
Anonymous

Yes, I do have sensitive ears. Some people don't hear it, and some do. But
the fact remains - the whine is there whether you are one of the ones who
hears it or not.

Some people are more sensitive than me obviously. They hear the noise and
actually complain. They hand it off to someone like me and it's perfectly
tolerable. They hand it off to someone like you and it's non-existent. I
don't know if the OP happens to be one with really sensitive ears or not.
Most of the time that's what it is. Especially when it has been multiple
devices. I'm sure it could be that some devices' whines are more audible than
others. Roll all those factors together and you get people who say the whine
doesn't exist, some who say it barely does (me) and some who say it's so loud
they can't stand it.

--
Walt
Anonymous

walt - thanks for your response. I really wasn't trying
to be insensitive, I luckily don't hear anything from my
PPC's. In fact when I read your post, I held my X50v to
my ear, I heard nothing, but again - my ears are most
likely not very sensitive, as I like my music loud. I
can understand how this would be bothersome tho-

Good day,

xfiler

Anonymous
a b α HP
April 1, 2005 3:39:59 PM

No insensitivity read ;-)

If you are in a room with any kind of noise going on, chances are you won't
hear it. I certainly don't. I'm glad I don't have extremely sensitive ears.

I used to be with the no noise camp with my early Palms, until I was reading
late one night with the backlight on. That's when I noticed it, and did the
same with my Newton.

-Walt

--
Walt
Anonymous

Reply to message from Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> (Thu, 31
Mar 2005 11:16:04) about "Re: Struck out with the HP rx3115 today":

PC> On 2005-03-31, Jon A <jon. amsden@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm with the "no noise here" gang. Try out the Pocket Loox 720. Nice
>> high res screen, can be dimmed down to a very low light level and no
>> notice of screen refreshing (somthing I am very prone to suffering) and
>> certainly no noise!!

PC> I think that's what's getting to me with the rx3115. Something about
PC> the screen makes the refreshing really hard on my eyes. I dim it and
PC> it gets better, but not by much.

PC> Preston

Maybe you just got a bad unit because my rx3115 doesn't suffer from any
screen refresh problem!

===
Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
!